where can I find a cheap P-38 "California Cutie"

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

where can I find a cheap P-38 "California Cutie"

Post by sdcc73 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:13 am

I see a few posts here on high prices paid on eBay and alternate store sites that sell the same 1:18 product for far cheaper. I wanted to know, where can I find a P-38 "California Cutie" or P-47 "checker-tail" for cheap?

ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ExC17load » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:26 am

Good luck with that one, with the demise of 21st Century Toys, anything by that company is now incredibly rare and thus expensive. This is especially true for the "Checker-Tail" which hasnt been available by retail for a LONG time. Ebay and the like are your only bets, unless JSI decides to reproduce it like they are doing for the Boyington Corsair and "Putt Putt Maru."

Sorry to be a downer, but 'thems the facts!'
"I can stop collecting 1:18 scale anytime, really I can. OOoh, the new Stuka re-paint! I don't have that one.

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:59 am

Cheapest P-38 is the new JSI Putt Putt Maru.$95.

Anything else is going to be more expensive.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:52 am

Guess it is time to really take care of what we have... These things will be too expensive to replace. I'm thinking I'm going to need a bunch of climate-controled display cases to keep my collection safe :P
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:57 pm

At one time I had thoughts about selling off many of the 21st dupos that I have, but now I think I'm going to hold onto them now that 21st is no more.

ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ExC17load » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Guess it is time to really take care of what we have... These things will be too expensive to replace. I'm thinking I'm going to need a bunch of climate-controled display cases to keep my collection safe :P
I am actually looking forward to buying my house after I get back from my deployment so I can finally and permenently display my collection and never have to move or store them again. Everytime I do, things get broken and lost. They are simply too valuable to keep moving around.

Though I am keeping an eye out for stores that go out of business so I can maybe get those display pieces.

My wife has agreed to me having an airplane room/slash man-cave in return for getting said house. I think its a fair trade.
"I can stop collecting 1:18 scale anytime, really I can. OOoh, the new Stuka re-paint! I don't have that one.

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:45 am

Man cave, I always wanted a huge sunken floor surrounded by cases sort of like in the scene from the original Highlander.

Which P-47 is the checker tail?

Keep all your original packaging too. 60's and 70's Matchbox boxes go for more than the cars.

DH

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:01 am

immeww2 wrote:At one time I had thoughts about selling off many of the 21st dupos that I have, but now I think I'm going to hold onto them now that 21st is no more.

You've got that right!

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:44 am

stashing all your dupes- are you kidding???? how about your fellow brothers on the board, here. Buy gold, guns, some hope 'n change and play the lottery if your unsure about the future!!!!!!!!!

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:04 am

Apologies for the gravedigging, but this seemed the appropriate thread ...

I too am moderately interested in getting the California Cutie instead of investing $95+ on the JSI PPM.

A simple google search turned up a few for sale in the $70-90 range (pre shipping).

Anybody deal with the following stores:

Kerenza?
Boomingisland?

(Militiary issue has one for an astronomical price. And there are a number of European dealers with it for higher prices too.)

I'm gonna regret this since my local train shop had one about a year and a half ago for $75, and I know the guys are solid (they also had the Admiral 262s on sale for cheap). Of course all their 1:18 aircraft are gone ... but for years they had their own (not for sale) pieces on display near the train doctor. :)

Thanks in advance!

cdtanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cdtanner » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:28 am

There is one on Ebay right now for a reasonable price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/21st-Century-BBI-1- ... 7C294%3A50

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:51 am

there sure are alot of guys selling off thier collections.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks! Too bad Kerenza still shows up, the price was fair.

I'll toss a bid on the ebay boxed bird, as I already see a bidding war on the real deal (the used loose CC).

I can understand why people are liquidating things, though times and new stuff moving things around.

I'm still kicking myself for not picking her up when a local retailer had her, though his price may have been $80-95 (which seemed fair, but pricey).

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 am

MCalamari wrote:Apologies for the gravedigging, but this seemed the appropriate thread ...

I too am moderately interested in getting the California Cutie instead of investing $95+ on the JSI PPM.

A simple google search turned up a few for sale in the $70-90 range (pre shipping).

Anybody deal with the following stores:

Kerenza?
Boomingisland?

(Militiary issue has one for an astronomical price. And there are a number of European dealers with it for higher prices too.)

I'm gonna regret this since my local train shop had one about a year and a half ago for $75, and I know the guys are solid (they also had the Admiral 262s on sale for cheap). Of course all their 1:18 aircraft are gone ... but for years they had their own (not for sale) pieces on display near the train doctor. :)

Thanks in advance!
Boomingisland hasn't had the California Cutie for a LONG time. Try to add one to cart and see what I mean. I'm surprised that it is showing pre-orders for JSI stuff. Boomingisland always seemed to have less desireable stuff.
Ebay is the best bet.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"