SS Set

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by mediump » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:52 am

I got into collecting xd a little late, about a year ago, and I was really stoked on paratroop figs, but they were rare and I ended up paying $8 to $10 each for those on ebay... with shipping. these are about $9.37 a figure without shipping! kinda high but i guess I'm used to it.

P.S. about the PC crowd, there are already ss troops in small scale, I have several, so hopfully they won't pick on us just because we have something new.

Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Jesse James » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:34 pm

Eh, not too bad for exclusives. After all, Hasbro charged about $10/figure for the EE-exclusive Clones.
Technically it's EE who charged so much... However, it's in direct relation to the fact that Hasbro didn't ship a solid "white" case to EE alongside the case with officers... Dumb.

But EE, if you bought by the case, charged a little over $6 per figure... By individual pack they were $10. What really blows about that is that EE has a guy who works for a collecting site working there now, but still the price couldn't be widdled down to an affordable army building level... That blows.

I definitely throw more blame at EE though than Hasbro, but a solid white case of the Clone 4-packs should have happened from Hasbro. And it should've seen a higher production run. Why it doesn't, I have no clue. Just asinine thinking on the part of Hasbro and the retail partner I guess.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:46 pm

The thing that worries me about this is how toy companies/toy retailers are realizing people will pay the $10 a figure. Just look at some of the recent SW figure prices:

Target Exlusive Vader/Clone - $12 or $15, if forget which
SWShop Wedge - $16
Clone Builder EE set - $10 each figure (assuming the single box price)

or look at what GI Joe collectors are charged from frankensteined convention exclusive - scary.

Yes, I've paid that for figures that I just could find on occasion (Death Star Trooper, some of the BoB figures early on, etc.), but I think we're starting to see more and more figures in this price range. Now, I'll pay that if its a REALLY exclusive figure I want (say a really nice 21C Rommel) and only want one or two. But, I won't pay that when you know its just the tip of the iceberg, an army builder, or its an exclusive that comes out every month (see TRU silver SW figures).

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I've just been a train collector for longer than I've been a 1/18 collector, and this same sort of thing started happening about 15 years ago - now they wonder why no young kids get into the hobby.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:22 pm

Yeah, that's been touched on in SW forums too... I know we've seen a couple people who've said that paying the price would bite us in the ass someday over at Jedi Defender's forums.

On one hand I agree... On the other hand, a figure like the VOTC Stormtrooper (when I factor in packaging too) I've considered worth the $10 though it's a pain to pay it.

The Clones... I don't know that they sold so well. The folks at Entertainment Earth and their spokespeople have implied it has, yet, from my perspective floating around forums where people LOVE to show off a row of 80 or 90 (or more) Clones in a row... I've YET to see a massive E2 styled Clone army. Not one.

The figures are available... They're not sold out at EE yet it seems. Hasbro's even pushing them at SDCC which implies to me that they're shopping them around to other retailers. It seems to me then that maybe EE's Clones bit EE in the ass, not the reversal.

That Target Clone does pose a weird situation though... It was pricey. But did it sell well because it's a Clone and Hasbro "knows we'll pay that for it" or did it sell well because it's an exclusive and opportunists were out in force to gobble it up and scalp it?

I know I found the Target Clone several times, and I don't think it was a reshipment each time, I think they were just not moving real fast after the 2nd group in the new cases shipped out. They still moved, but not as fast it seemed. I think the price was catching up to it...

VOTC Stormtroopers, from what I hear, sat in some areas... Not Pittsburgh, but I know guys with over 50 of them so people were finding them.

So far, Hasbro's offering a lotta repainted army builder stuff and they aren't charging an arm and a leg for it so I'm hoping that those Clones and such are flukes... That $10 figures aren't the wave of the future (and if they are, they better be super articulated Hasbro style and include plenty of accessories).

I think that EE Clone set sold worse than EE expected though, personally. They wouldn't admit that of course, but I know people are WAY too proud to show off those huge armies of figures if they have them (one of my co-workers at JD has huge collections of army builders all lined up. Really nice). There's not one pic I can think of where there's ton of that EE set though. I love the figures, hate the price. They're a good company overall, but if Entertainment Earth doesn't "get it" about army building, then I hope they never get another exclusive item again, least of all 4-packs like this.

Hell, K-Mart's gonna offer the 501st Battlepack for $20, and that's FIVE figures (albeit 3 unique figures, but still it's 5 figures total). EE just was giving the screws to customers on those sets if you ask me.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

digger

prices

Post by digger » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:37 am

SW is not my thing but I can say guys who collect military are always jealous of SW guys (used to be Joe guys).
First real army builder sets on pegs - Hasbro.
Expensive random figures because they're worth it to the fans (as you said, they know you'll pay) - Hasbro.
In everystore from Rite Aid to WM - Hasbro.
What I am saying? Best of both worlds - Collectability & Real mass distribution.

Yea, it's a huge company so you lose "personal" touches but to be at their mercy could be worse. I know I would kill for Army builder sets, and as MM said I would pay $10 for a figure if it was particular and well done. After all, they're asking $8 bucks for the new 1/32 FoV guys, and more for Britains, K&C, etc....
If it takes higher prices to get better figures or more variety I would pay it - but we always have the "these are toys" hold-up which Hasbro throws to the wind (for good reason). If people stop paying $12 a figure they wouldn't make them. As for the SS, they are not toys so they are $9 each and I get my wish - army builder and specialty figures in one shot :wink:

That said I think the 1:18 figures being put out now shouldn't be more than $5-$6. There is still a ways to go on articulation, on 'ruggedness,' on head sculpts.....but if the level were raised I'd accept a raise in price (easy for me to say - "adult" paying for an adult :oops: ).

Fox Tare-28
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Fox Tare-28 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:42 am

I'm all for learning about the past and WWII in particular, but I wouldn't fork outthe money to buy those figs. Its just the political problems we've had in the past what with Neo-Nazis and all that Bull****. In Toronto recently, there was a major debate when a toy store released several figs based on "Call of Duty." One of these figs depicted an officer of the Third SS Panzer divison Totenkopf. Needless to say all hell broke loose with that incident coupled with recent ant-semetic vandalism that plagued the area for a few months.

This is just my personal opinon. I'm in no way trying to be political...

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:32 am

What the hell dose SW Target Clone figures have to do with The SS set that this post was origanally about? I think we lost track of what we where
talking about in the first place. Not that I hate SW. But that should be on another post. :roll:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:18 am

Now that this seems almost OT...

I was just watching a show on the History Channel and think (somewhat sarcastically) that a Hitler Youth set should be made to accompany the SS troops. Afterall, they were the ones fighting the battle of Berlin...

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:22 pm

Hey where you watching the Hitler youth today on the Hist Channel. Thats been on all day Im watching it now. It be cool if they did a combat unit in hitler youth like the 12th SS Hitler Yugen.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:38 pm

What the hell dose SW Target Clone figures have to do with The SS set that this post was origanally about? I think we lost track of what we where
talking about in the first place. Not that I hate SW. But that should be on another post.
It's a discussion of costs in production, and subsequently retail, and the comparison of the Target Clone (and other higher ticket Hasbro figures) figure's pricing and this SS army builder set which isn't too cheap... Why costs are what they are, and if they're "fair" from different points of view... How they're both inflated priced items.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:34 am

Has anyone had any luck contacting SBP regarding the expected arrival date on these figures? I have e-mailed them twice with no response. This is exactly why I don’t want to pre-order from them. They are nearly impossible to get a hold of.

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:01 pm

What do you guys think, is it likely other online sellers will have the SS set available? SBP is no good for me, they won't take my Visa card,but all the other sellers I buy from will. :roll:

digger

ss set

Post by digger » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:27 am

I am wondering the same things - I want the set but DON'T want to pre-order from SBP for all the reasons stated above, and because typically another site will get the same thing for less. 8)
That said I'm sure the distribution will be limited b/c of the whole 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink aspect to the manufacturer. It just can't be that SBP is going to get all 5000....but it could be that they would put something up for pre-order while it's still far from being released. :roll:

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:03 am

They are very bad about having pre orders up for a long time. I have tried to contact them twice now and as usual, no response. I have never had any problems with items that I have purchased from them in the past. They just don’t have very good customer service skills. As soon as I here back from them I may go ahead and order but I really hate buying from SBP. :cry:

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

I was doing some numbers

Post by 75th Ranger » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:27 pm

I was doing some numbers:

5000 * 150 = 750000.

that is a lot of "mula"!!!!

even if the cost of production was 1/2 we are talking

375000 profit!....

if it was a cost of production of 2/3 then the profit would be

I know there are other hidden costs and the overhead but come on is that quite a chunk of money for some figure sets....

At $40 dollars....there would need to be an amount of 18750 planes sold to equal the total revenue amount of 750000 that those figure sets would create.
just basic stuff, i know there are other factors involve but what i want to say is that there needs to be another competitor or distributor for these sets or we will just be guinea pigs for the companies to sell their items at almost any price they seem to dictate.
Well, my 2 cents...
take care,
HOOAH!

ps: nice figures
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:13 am

Has anyone heard more info on these figures? Like, when they are expected to ship out and if any other online retailers will be offering them. For some reason SBP refuses to answer their e-mails. This doesn’t promote confidence in their company.

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:09 pm

YES THEY TOLD ME QUOTE 'EARLY FALL MONTHS'. I DO NOT MIND WAITING AS LONG AS THEY STILL EVENTAULLY COME & ARE NOT SHELVED.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:59 am

So they actually answered your e-mail. Wow. What address did you use or did you have to break down and call them? Early fall is not bad. I just hope that that doesn’t turn into early 2006 or never. :roll:

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:48 pm

i think the reason they responded was the fact it was in the process of sorting out payment etc. my instinct after collecting 1/18 for 4 years, is that is likely to be later than sooner, but as stated, possibly never.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:30 am

The pre order sold out. I didn’t order because they never responded to my e-mails. SBP stinks. Oh well, that was a lot of money to spend anyway. Maybe someone else will be selling them as well.

digger

SS

Post by digger » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:33 am

No way they sold out 5k so you know someone else will be getting them. After all, no other site has nude nose art pre-orders but they can't be SBP exclusives.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:46 am

I hope someone else will. Prolly not though. I really liked the idea of the figures but I couldn’t tell what type of articulation they had or what the head sculpts looks like. It’s a lot of money to spend if your not sure what your getting or when your getting it. I suspect that they had a limited number for pre order and will have more in stock later. SBP just stinks at customer service. I emailed them 3 times regarding those figures and they never replied.

digger

no worries

Post by digger » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:53 am

Someone else will....think about 5k x $150....SBP didn't do that kind of business on them.....
The headsculpts looked like a variety of previous, mainly FJ. I'm hoping the articulation was like the German BoB, and not the first series (which they appear to be molded like). We should remember that info is sparce b/c nobody wants to go near this subject with a ten foot pole....

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:13 am

Yep. thats about the way of it.

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

No way that they sold 5000 @ $150 because that is $750000!

Post by 75th Ranger » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:07 am

No way that they sold 5000 @ $150 because that is $750000!

Some other retailer will sell some of them in the future, hopefully we will be able to find them cheaper.
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba