JSI F-14---$200?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

JSI F-14---$200?

Post by dragon53 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:10 pm

From Badcat's blog:

"Toward the end of 2008 a rumor circulated through the Internet about a 1:18 scale F-14. I stated here that I thought the rumor was unfounded and that an F-14 was unlikely to be produced, as none of the major 1:18 scale producers were involved. Well, I may yet be proven wrong on this one. Here's why:

JSI, has apparently been the production muscle behind much of 21st Century's models. We always knew that 21st didn't own actually own any manufacturing facilities. They designed the models then had another company manufacture it for them. It was a closely guarded secret just who this company was, until now . . . JSI.

The F-14 mockup we've seen a few glimpses of apparently belongs to JSI. We've heard rumbling through the supply chain that the F-14 is slated for production at some point in the future. The questions of "when" and "how much" have yet to be answered.

As I've written before, the F-14 is a risky proposition but one we'll embrace wholeheartedly if it gets manufactured. With a wingspan of approximated 38" and a similar length, this would be by far the largest and most expensive 18 scale project ever produced. I'm just guessing here but would $200 be something our readers would be willing to pay? Would post-sale buyers' remorse lead to nit-picking the large model to death and generate a slew of returns? Would UPS Ground Oversize shipping charges of $40 or more in shipping fees affect demand? Wouldn't the much smaller and 32-scale proven aircraft such as the F4F and SBD be better bets?

On the positive side, the F-14 out sells most of the other jets in 1:72 scale diecast. Even though the actual Tomcat is retired and relegated to history, it remains a very popular aircraft with enthusiasts. The twin engines, swing wings, and overall look of the interceptor is just too cool for words. Weapons loadout and pilot sub-packages could be popular sellers and add to the the aircraft's legs and shelf life.

What do you think?"

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Mon May 11, 2009 12:13 pm

i can live with 240 total ... i pay gladly...

no this will be the same for the f4... my flagshipp
whats up doc....

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Mon May 11, 2009 12:17 pm

I had figured from the pictures of the prototype that this thing would run around $200. Better start saving my monthly allowance now. :?

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon May 11, 2009 12:22 pm

Much like my 1/18 Avenger. The cost of shipping is either going to be the final nail in the coffin or will alternatively seal the deal for me.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Mon May 11, 2009 12:31 pm

whats up doc....

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Mon May 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Would post-sale buyers' remorse lead to nit-picking the large model to death and generate a slew of returns?
Very likely, because in large part the group of buyers will be the same folks who demanded perfection in $39.99 models. Can you imagine the expectations for a $200+ outlay?

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:13 pm

vulgarvulture wrote:
Would post-sale buyers' remorse lead to nit-picking the large model to death and generate a slew of returns?
Very likely, because in large part the group of buyers will be the same folks who demanded perfection in $39.99 models. Can you imagine the expectations for a $200+ outlay?
Yeah but they would even if they were $1 so it's quite expected irregardless of price. I fully expect the Tomcat to be between 200-300 bucks and that's cool, I'll own one. I also won't be surprised if it has issues, it is afterall a mass produced "toy" and a very complex one at that.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon May 11, 2009 1:39 pm

well it is so tempting but with limited space i might pass it up for something ww2
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

DEVGRU
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DEVGRU » Tue May 12, 2009 1:30 am

Putting any credence to that blog is like relying on movie critics to base your decision on whether to see a movie or not.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:08 am

Badcat said "pilot subpackages"...so pilots apparently aren't included. I don't know of anyone making 1/18 modern jet pilots...so JSI will have a monopoly on the pilots.