IS there a mass exodus from 1/18 XD?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

About my 1/18 Collection:

I am keeping my 1/18 scale collection till they pry it out my dead, cold hands
75%
I may sell off some pieces to collect other things
14%
Anybody wanna buy me out?
3%
I am done with 1/18 scale
7%
I am so OVER this hobby - I am going back to collecting Smurfs!
1%

Total votes: 95

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:54 pm

Sorry, double post

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:57 pm

I sold most of my 1/18th armor a long time ago. Just don't see the point of buying a 1/18 tank when I can get a more detailed one for about the same price in 1/16th scale.

Case in point: a 1/18 Panzer IV vs an HL 1/16 Panzer IV

It's better to move to 1/16th scale when it comes to armor, considering that hobby is growing, with more and more tanks being produced by different companies, and a wide variety of aftermarket parts sellers.

Why bitch and moan about not having a <insert> in 1/18th, when you can get one in 1/16th?

Why moan and cry about not having any Russian tanks in 1/18th when you can get some in 1/16th?

Why moan and cry about 21st dying without having released the King Tiger first, when there are several available in 1/16?

Besides, most XD figures are closer to 1/16th than in 1/18th in proportions anyway.

I see people talking about 1/20 and other slightly off-scale styro airplanes here, and no one bitch about them.

What's the difference between talking about a 1/16th tank, vs a 1/20 airplane?

In short, Why be hatin'?

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:07 am

Good points GD 8)
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:17 am

I won't be giving up 1/18. Like Buckyroo, I threw out most of my boxes, but have kept my new planes' boxes. My two sons are only 4, but love the planes as much as I do.

There's still a lot of collecting for me to do. 21C planes that I still would like to buy:
P-47
P-38
P-40
TBF Atlantic Avenger
These are the big boys I missed out on.

I'm really looking forward though to AT and Bbi's offerings. Both companies have a good relationship with each other (at least what I can tell from Jason's posts) and hope we can see a couple of planes this year.

Keeping my fingers crossed for 09

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:25 am

Let me give everyone on the forum some much needed advice, DO NOT SELL YOUR COLLECTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! You will regret it forever. I know from personal experience. Hang onto your 1:18!
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:42 am

love 1:18, GiJoe, and even if 21st is DRT this scale is huge. I'm looking at this time as a brief pause as all businesses are holding their breath right now - we will see more - and even if 21st goes down they can start back up at a later date.
This is a great time to pick up tons of things people are getting rid of.
Marvel is now in the 1:18ish arena and these things are hot.

Remember this time last year there was a ton of BBI and 21st on the shelves - p-51's were stacked 13-16 at some TRU's 21st has warehouses of old stuff they are gettin rid of - just give it some time.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

usmcchet9296
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by usmcchet9296 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:03 pm

HELL NO I JUST GOT HERE
USMC CHET
John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi

P47faninchicago
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P47faninchicago » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm keeping my 1/18 stuff mainly because I collect them only for enjoyment. If I collected them for profit I would be selling them like crazy. I think a lot of people got into the hobby when these were easily accessible from Walmart and TRU. That's how I got hooked when I bought a Stuka on a whim from Wal-mart and was blown away by the detail. Over a hundred planes later I still enjoy them. Without the influx of new people into the hobby and the constant slow drain of folks who lose interest prices will stagnate . Doesn't bother me as I could care less how much my planes are worth. I still love them. As for armor, 1/16 has exploded. Just seems silly to cry about no KT in 1/18 when there are tons of 1/16 KT's(Tamiya, HL, Forces of valor) with unbelievable detail and even radio controlled to boot!

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: IS there a mass exodus from 1/18 XD?

Post by coreystinson » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Razor17019 wrote:I know like our economy, all we hear about 21st Century Toys and 1/18 scale hobby in general is doom and gloom. But are most people abandoning the hobby? I see people selling lots of items at a time. Or they are selling whole collections at this point in time.
What is your stand on this?
I think it is absurd to sell your 1:18 scale collection just because no product is currently being produced. Presumably one liked the scale at one time? Why suddenly dump it unless for financial reasons? I am keeping all of my 1:18 scale models, and am happy for the opportunity to have been able to purchase them as I doubt such things will be available in the foreseeable future.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:01 am

I'm actually responding to all this, by way of action --- by placing my humble little order for the aptly named; Dauntless. This is my small act of support for the 1:18 hobby that has given much fun for all of us over the years. I know it sounds like a small act. Yet even little things going downhill --- can cause a great big snowball; perhaps an avalanche of our support positively making the hobby grow back, big, slowly and steadily. If there is an exodus, now is the time for us staying on, to show some support to 1:18 for what's coming out, and really support it. Money talks. Thus, my lone little pre-order. I'm hoping you there sitting in front of your computer. You all concerned enough to all contribute to almost 800 views on this thread, follow suit by way of action. All of you behind these 800 views can sell-out the Dauntless. All snowballing in hopefully an avalanche of our support via hundreds of orders sent, sending a very clear message we are all here standing by 1:18. Hopefully with that first new plane in years, the aptly named Dauntless, the compelling multitude of our just-placed orders will quickly warrant the release the next plane, the Skyraider, then the Phantom, and so forth and so on. So whatever it is we can do, now, let's all do our little part. Save 1:18!!!

Dauntless - adjective; showing fearlessness and determination.

http://www.militarytoyshop.com/prodtype ... istory=cat

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:33 am

Hmmm, well first off, I'm not gettin' outta 1/18th 8)
Perhaps I may sell a few pieces to those who missed out on something if they can't find it on Evil bay - sorry, not the FOV Tiger, I only got 2 left :roll:

As for the 1/16th folks, maybe it might be a good thing to expand the forums a bit and make a 1/16th or 1/16th R/C topic group just for them, Idea :?:

Everyone seems to want to B**** and complain about the downfall of 21st C. What can we all do to get away from this(it's gettin' a bit old) and try to help each other out to find things or share the ideas of new cool things to build out of what we already have :wink: We DO have some master builders here making new models all the time for those who collect. THey even are making kits to cut down on the cost too :P

Perhaps Dioramas will be what we all need to move to to talk about.
This can keep us occupied along with new kitbashing model ideas until the 1/18th market starts to come alive again with new stuff :)

Just a few ideas guys. Fightin' about this will only make it worse.
I promise soon or after my wedding, I'll show you all how to make a Maurader III out of a Hanomag w/Pk40. Workin' on the idea board with it right now 8)

NO 1/18th ain't dead, just takin' a nap for now.
We all's gots to do it at one time or another :roll:

Da General

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:36 am

The funny thing is, why do we even need to segregate 1/16th away from 1/18th?

You don't see this level of jealousy/animosity/whatever on the 1/32-and-smaller-scale crowd. :?

Does it really pain people to see topics about 1/16th tanks? You don't have to click on them, y'know.

1/18th isn't dead. I'm not gonna give up most of my 1/18th stuff. Give up my ME-262? No way!

But I sure wouldn't limit myself to 1/18th, when I know there's options out there.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:29 am

On a positive note, its real nice to see this thread has nearly 1,000 views from fellow enthusiasts mustered by this shared concern. If only we can tap that power and numbers into action. To all who contributed these views; here's an interesting "Insider's" inter(view) on the recent "Exodus" of many small toy companies shutting down in general. Do note on what the interview says at the end...

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/fron ... 121851.asp

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:38 am

You guys can have my XD when I die. :P
I'm a legend in my own mind.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:47 am

I’m keeping my Planes but the rest is going to help fund a new project. I’m giving Christine a nice 318. To me it’s just a means to an end. Sell one and invest in another. No regrets here. This time I’m keeping what I want. The lack of selection really didn’t cause me to want to sell. I just got board with it.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

My only concern is who's going to take my collection when I'm pushing up daisies. I voted for the "I may sell pieces to get other pieces" simply because of geography (NZ) and exchange rates. If there was a piece I really wanted I would consider swapping for another piece (although my collection is pretty much locked in now, with no "unwanted / multiples").

This hobby is to good to give up on. I may branch out - but it would only be to 1/24, 1/32 plane kits. I'm really happy with 1/18 though.

......and although there is all this doom and gloom about 21st, they're not the only 1/18 military toy company!
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

olifant

Post by olifant » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:35 pm

Why would I sell my collection? It gives me as much joy and looks just as good now as before 21C gave up the ghost. I may sell off some of my doubles to new members to fund new buys though...
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

Sentinel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sentinel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:42 pm

All I can say is good luck replacing these beauties if you sell out.

I'm finding more local friends (who aren't 1/18 savvy) getting interested in "those big planes".

I feel lucky to have the collection I do.

Ditto on possibly selling off a double or two to fund something I don't have, just to round things off.

8)

Gen.Gabeally
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gen.Gabeally » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:05 am

Some of us are just getting started with 1/18. I just started this about 8 months ago. I just mothballed my older unopened 1/35 kits as I don't have the time to assemble and paint now. So I'm expanding my 1/18 collection not just to WW2 stuff but adding modern military as it becomes available at the right price. Too bad I have to wait a bit to be able to trade with you guys but that's fine. MD and online sources are just as good for now. What really fuels my continued interest is playing Company of Heroes online. :wink:

Gen.Gabeally
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gen.Gabeally » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:08 am

Some of us are just getting started with 1/18. I just started this about 8 months ago. I just mothballed my older unopened 1/35 kits as I don't have the time to assemble and paint now. So I'm expanding my 1/18 collection not just to WW2 stuff but adding modern military as it becomes available at the right price. Too bad I have to wait a bit to be able to trade with you guys but that's fine. MD and online sources are just as good for now. What really fuels my continued interest is playing Company of Heroes online. :wink:

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:31 am

It's definitely a decent time to get into the 1:18 right now because the bulk of these babys are still readilly avalible. But selling them off now would be foolhardy to say the least. Military toys have, and are, fan favorites and the resale value of our beloved hobby can stagger most. I guess it really just depends on where you start to build a collection. I say buy, buy, buy....Do not sell!!! I sold off a collection of action figs, not xd, a few years back, sayin to myself that I needed the money. Man, I kick myself for doing that even though its been around 14 years ago. But oh well, at least I have what I have right now. :D Check your local flea markets as well, I have seen some xd floating around the private sector. Here in Columbus we have our bi-annual Toy show, and last year I picked up the Marine Cobra for $20, and in the fall show I got a "mib" remote Panzer for $5. Our stuff is still around, ya just have to be vigilant and snag up those those bargians when you can. :D Good luck to all newbies out there just gearing up. This is the best hobby in the world.!!! :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

fogger1138
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fogger1138 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:45 pm

tosborne3 wrote: Here in Columbus we have our bi-annual Toy show, and last year I picked up the Marine Cobra for $20, and in the fall show I got a "mib" remote Panzer for $5.
Gah - I'd love to get a Marine Cobra, and that price is nuts!