anybody built a 1/18 ship yet?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

anybody built a 1/18 ship yet?

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:08 pm

i know there were a few people talking about making some large ships or portions of ships in 1/18.....just wondering if anyone has seen their plans through. I know Red did part of a troop ship that looked great....i don't know if he went any further with it or not.

I have some bold plans i'm working on for parts of ships that can be set up temporarily and then collapsed to be stored away.....one involves using my bed as a sort of armature for part of the stern or midsection of a carrier. I would basically build the pieces of hull side and deck around the bed; the bed providing support for them. More to it than that but that's the gist. I also might try the same thing with a chunk of bismarck, two turrets to be specific. Would use enlarged paper models to act as plans for building. I also might rebuild my breakfast table to look like the bow of the Akagi with my bbi PH Zero taking off from the end.

Have other plans too. I was wondering if anyone else has tackled ships in any way and are being quiet about it. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:13 pm

That would be cool! Especially if you had a date that slept over, set this all up while she is asleep and watch her "freak out" upon awakening! She gets up and gets her composure, walks out of the room to get some coffee/breakfast, just make sure the door is open when she runs out of the Apartment/House! :lol:
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Too big, i dont have a death by mother wish yet. i will wait till i have my own house for something that big, or will i... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
good idea. might try it someday. :wink:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:34 pm

IIRC Red has or something close to it.
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

kenhil2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by kenhil2 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:34 pm

i havent made anything yet, but i have been rolling around the idea of making a carrier. dont know if i would do a true 1:18 scale, but definately want to do something like the old GI Joe USS Flagg(about 7 feet long). an actual 1:18 scale like aferg said would be monsterous, dont have the space or the ambition, but definitely everyone plan to see work in progress pics in the future.
...ken

Semper Fi

"if you haven't been there, shut the f@#k up"

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:58 pm

as i said the portion of the carrier built around my bed would be temporary and disassemble into flat sections that could be easily stored in a big closet (at least that's the plan). The stern section would be easier since it's wider. The bow goes to a point so i wouldn't have the length needed to fit it all in the room. I figured about a 6 or 7 foot chunk of carrier would look pretty awesome though. Hang a dauntlass or hellcat above it, coming in for a landing. Or build an elevator into it and have a plane on the elevator....lots of possibilities.

My bed is 6 feet by 4 1/2 feet by 16 inches high; which works perfectly for the dimensions of large ships like carriers and battleships.

Of course i'm still hoping and dreaming of a full hull uboat one day...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:59 pm

Speaking of who has made 1:18 ships...

Didn't RED build that section of a Liberty Ship superstructure? Also, wasn't there that guy (not on this board) who loved his BBI F-18 so much that he was building a scale aircraft carrier for it? There was also someone else that build a 1:18 scale model of the battleship Bismarck in Germany?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:01 pm

i remember reading about the 1/18 carrier for the bbi hornet. Someone must still have the link.

And it was the Graf Spee that you're thinking of. 1/20 scale and r/c to boot. He could ride in it too..

edit: found a link to the graf spee..

http://www.kbismarck.com/models/model13.html

I think it was kimtheredxd who showed us a 1/20 Yamato in a Japanese museum. Maybe she still has that link.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:47 pm

OK, OK, so it's 1/6 but it is just so neat:

It's only a section of the hull and the conning tower, but that alone is around 30 feet. It was recently built by Peter Shaw, a Brit wizard in 1/6.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:02 pm

WOW you made that?/
did they mount those flak 38s on subs? how would it hold up under water? :wink: :? :? :? :?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:50 am

Hey Trip T .

That is the guy who built the Thor isn't it ? He is good and must have plenty of time and deep pockets.

The flak gun looks cool on the pit. But as Fly asked did they put then on subs ? I was going to try and do something like the conning tower in a 1/18 custom but got shot down do to lack of interest.

But it does look cool. :D :D :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:58 am

Yes, this is the same guy that built the railway gun in 1/6. He's also built the 1/6 ferry, he operates 1/6 trains and everything you can desire. In the pics you can see the 1/6 Pegasus bridge from the D-Day landing in the background.

And yes, towards the end of the war, the Germans did mount the quad 20mm on some sub models.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:21 pm

I'd settle for a 1:18 German gunboat, or a PT -Boat to start. 8)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:34 pm

If you do a search over at RC universe in the tank section, there are a few who have built landing craft for their tanks, and someone had built a awesome russian gunboat, that had a T-34 turret mounted on it.

kevrut

Post by kevrut » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:26 pm

I've been building an 1/18 aircraft carrier. I've got the flight deck done, all I have left to do is build the superstructure.

It's 45 feet long and 96 inches wide.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:30 am

the flakvierling was commonly mounted on uboats from mid '43 onward...it was the reason they added the 'wintergarten' extention to the back of the conning tower, as allied airpower had become an extremely serious threat.

For a time there was a standing order not to dive when allied airplanes showed up but to duke it out with them, via the increased aa capability. But after a few months this order was reversed, because while a uboat could easily deal with one or two planes, they were beginning to show up in droves and the planes got smart and just shadowed the uboat out of range of the guns vectoring in surface ships. So, uboats began crash diving again when enemy planes were sighted.

Key components of the guns were made out of a special metal that is more resistant to corrosion by salt water. They looked the same as normal flakvierlings but their substance was different.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:06 am

aferguson wrote:the flakvierling was commonly mounted on uboats from mid '43 onward...it was the reason they added the 'wintergarten' extention to the back of the conning tower, as allied airpower had become an extremely serious threat.

For a time there was a standing order not to dive when allied airplanes showed up but to duke it out with them, via the increased aa capability. But after a few months this order was reversed, because while a uboat could easily deal with one or two planes, they were beginning to show up in droves and the planes got smart and just shadowed the uboat out of range of the guns vectoring in surface ships. So, uboats began crash diving again when enemy planes were sighted.

Key components of the guns were made out of a special metal that is more resistant to corrosion by salt water. They looked the same as normal flakvierlings but their substance was different.
I had no idea. Thanks for the info Aferguson. That flak gun does look cool on the sub.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Hey yall!!! Im working on another side of a troop ship for a few dio pics!!! I also started building a LCI for a ship/boat contest here a while back---but didnt get done but I still have the hull!!! I was thinking about turning the hull into a Japanese ship for the SBD to sink!!! :P That might make for afew good dio pics!!!I was working on a 1:18 LST but its to big and would take up to much space and to much time to build!!! So maybe part of one!!!---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:55 pm

you could build the bow section of the LST, beached, with clam shell doors open and shermans and troops coming out. :wink:

MG-42

1:18 Shipbuilding ?

Post by MG-42 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:18 pm

kevrut wrote:I've been building an 1/18 aircraft carrier. I've got the flight deck done, all I have left to do is build the superstructure.

It's 45 feet long and 96 inches wide.

>>> "Looks like the flight deck of a flat-bed trailer to me". :lol: :twisted: 8)

- Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:24 pm

aferguson wrote:you could build the bow section of the LST, beached, with clam shell doors open and shermans and troops coming out. :wink:
My plan was to build the bow of the LST out at sea with the doors open and LVTs loaded with my beloved Marines comeing out!!!I still have the inside of the LST I made I just have to make the outside of the ship!!!So maybe this summer!!! :wink: ---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]