new pte vehicles reviewed(pics up!)...su 27, type 98 and z-9

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
zhukov
Corporal
Corporal

new pte vehicles reviewed(pics up!)...su 27, type 98 and z-9

Post by zhukov » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:54 pm

where to start...

the su 27
the su 27 is all it promised to be...it has presence, 12 hardpoints for missiles and a good range of large and fairly accurate missiles. the cockpit is roomy enough for the figure and has a joystick. the landing gear retracts into wells that close, which is very cool. with the gear down the plane sits low, but at the angle it should, if youve ever seen an su 27 in the flesh before. the pilot figure...nevermind. in person the first flaw you see is the pilot figure, the second is that you want to repaint over the silver over the engines. the plane looks a good size for the vehicle it represents in gi joe scale. the paint scheme is nice, but could be more aggressive i feel. it is lighter than the pte f 18, and looks less intimidating, simply form the colour. the brake behind the cockpit also opens, and holds open via a pin that flips up to hold it in place, i just noticed..

the plane is a beauty, and is now my favourite pte item, and my favourite plane in my collection of "toys" ( gijoe, pte, chap mei,etc). the plane has already got me to start planning custom pilots, and then start thinking about an admiral kuznetsov wood custom...the jet was well worth the wait...and is really really really cool!

the features are:
cockpit, opens of course, retracting landing gear locks in place in the wheel wells, missiles all fit via the same method as on the f18, all the same size slide on lug. thus you can put all the missiles anywhere of the 12 hardpoints. notably, the jet also has a tailhook, for carrierborne aircraft.

the areas id change on this cool plane are: ill make custom pilots, and i am tempted to make the paint scheme either more aggressive, or make it a dark army green on the top and grey underneath...and add chinese plaaf markings.

the tank
the type 98 is a nice tank, a good size for the figures and has nice feautures that have been missing in the past.features: the main gun holds in place and can elevate high and depress somewhat. the mg on the turret can move up and down, and through 360 degrees. both the main gun and turret click as you move them, and the turret can go through 360 degrees. the fuel drums on the rear can come off, and their mount seems a bit high (look at pics next to trumpeter 1/20 version). the proportions are somewhat off, when you look closely next to a well scaled tank. the turret is a bit narrow for its length. the rubber treads fit on the rollers tightly, and it moves smoothly. the laser warning system and active defense system components on the turret roof move, though i havent tried to pull them off. the tank also has a removable log at the rear, which is a detail often missed on modern armour. the tank has a very low profile to it, though its not that low really, compared with the trumpeter version (see the pics).

what would i change or see as a flaw? i want to army build this tank, but as a t-72. i love aferg's idea of custom cast turrets. and i would see this as a good t72 base and use it next to trumpeter type 98s. the real t72 chassis is 1 meter shorter than a type 98 chassis. the trumpeter and pte versions are almost the same in length though, no noticeable difference. im also going to experiment with marauder john's claymores as era panels on this tank. all in all a very cool tank, and also a good base for customs.

the helo
the helicopter has a cooler paint scheme, as the light colour is thicker and more yellow, like the real chinese paint scheme ( see sinodefence.com as a good source) . functions: all four doors open, and figures fit in well. the seats are however not raised, so they sit with straight legs. the rotors spin, and can be folded in. the weapons mounts allow for the weapons load to be changed, though there are three different mounts. sadly, there is one of each so you cant match both sides of the chopper. the wheels roll, but do not retract. on the weapon mount with four atgm's, they actually come off too. ill come back to them. the rear rotors also spin, though its barely noticeable.

i like the chopper, its a good addition, but the fact that you cant match the weapons load on both sides is a bummer. thankfully i have multiples already, so i can make the sides match. the size is not all that good for a transport helo, but for an attack helo or vip transport it is a good size. the multiple atgm weapons load is very cool, but i intend to use this on the infantry fighting vehicle, to make the kliver turret. (http://www.army-technology.com/projects ... ornet5.jpg)

pics are busy uploading...(takes a while)...ill add the link once they are up...probaly another 30 mins or so i guess..

any more info or pics needed, let me know
Last edited by zhukov on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tinman
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Tinman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Looking forward to your photos, zhukov!

zhukov
Corporal
Corporal

pics up now!

Post by zhukov » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:45 pm

http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss202/zhukov_photos/

just in case anyone missed the other link and wants to know where i got them:

http://www.mklmodels.co.uk/peacekeepers ... -393-c.asp

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks zhukov for the pics. Very 8)
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:28 pm

excellent reviews, thanks. I think the tank will make a great custom base for a reasonable T-72 or even a T-80, with proper turrets.

My first idea was just to add a lot of reactive armour bricks to the turret to disguise its incorrect shape but if pH can customize up a T-72 and/or T-80 turret for it, at some point, i think he may have a lot of sales, both from this board and some of the Joe boards....again assuming these things make it over here, which i suspect they will.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

zhukov
Corporal
Corporal

Post by zhukov » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:57 pm

i should mention that the retailer i got them from said theyve been selling pte for 18 months now, but that these items are new now and this is the first shipment of them. so i guess theyre just taking a while to reach europe and then the us.

the t72/120 can also be done with this tank of course. the marauderjohn claymores are good for use as era, just without the claymore legs.i am all for the idea of the t72 or t80 turrets. the point where the turret attaches to the chassis seems to be very narrow for the size of the turret. it might also be complicated to take off the turret, as it doesnt just pop in and out. im not sure what it is in it that makes it click, but it also holds the turret in place wherever you rotate it to. looking in through the hatches, i can see there is a very small hole in the bottom of the turret (less than an inch across it feels like), which is what i guess attaches the turret to the chassis.

perhaps making a k5 kontakt era package to add on, though that would leave the issue of the bussle still...

C130IM
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by C130IM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:02 pm

Zhukov;

I can't open the link but I think its a problem with my connection.

About the turret: if someone can make an accurate 1/18 scale turret that would be great. I buy off on that.

There is another variation of the T-72 that has a modified turret. I posted it here long ago but I can find it. It's designated the T-72-120. The turret has skirts extending out on the front to the side and has a squared off back of the turret. Here's the link.

http://www.morozov.com.ua/eng/body/t72-120.php

Thanks Zhukov!

Chad
Last edited by C130IM on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zhukov
Corporal
Corporal

Post by zhukov » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 pm

C130IM
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by C130IM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:25 pm

Zhukov;

Yes, that's right. I just posted the correction with the link at the same time you posted. I had to go into my posts and it was back in 2004 when I posted the link. Couldn't remember off the top of my head.

Chad

C130IM
Sergeant
Sergeant

Shipment came in!

Post by C130IM » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:41 am

My order I placed and was shipped out on Tuesday just arrived today!! From UK to Virginia that's pretty good shipping time!

Zhukov, thanks for this company's link! They're shipping time is excellent!

I'm going to start looking at what I can do with the IFV modifications.

Chad

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:16 am

what are you going to use the IFV's for? Chinese armour doesnt' really turn me on and they don't look much like anything used by the russians or other 'enemy forces', so while i quite like it, i don't know what i'm going to do with it..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:29 pm

aferguson wrote:excellent reviews, thanks. I think the tank will make a great custom base for a reasonable T-72 or even a T-80, with proper turrets.

My first idea was just to add a lot of reactive armour bricks to the turret to disguise its incorrect shape but if pH can customize up a T-72 and/or T-80 turret for it, at some point, i think he may have a lot of sales, both from this board and some of the Joe boards....again assuming these things make it over here, which i suspect they will.
If I build it would they come ?

Making a turret is whole lot easier to build than a full tank.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

C130IM
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by C130IM » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:17 pm

Aferguson;

Its stretching I know. I look at the PLA to be a adversarial force and the only foriegn military hardware available that could be utilized in a enemy force role. Again, I'm stretching.

Granted not Russian they share similarities with some of their equipment. I was considering modifying the IFV -like some have said- into a BTR-80. But may leave mine as is. One thing missing on the PTE IFV is the front window covers that I usually see in the opened position on the BTR's. They're not on the PTE IFV as shown in pictures of the real Chinese IFV.

The way I'm probably going to approach it in my mind in any future diorama: Chinese and Russian both aligned together and a large conflict. Maybe over Taiwan or some other future war.Then there were conflict settings in middle east or Africa.

The other thing I was told that some middle eastern and african militaries use some of Chinese military equipment. One reference indicated that some chinese armor is used by Iraq and Iran militaries. If I'm wrong please correct me. But its been years when researching the different Chinese armor in 3rd world countries.

PH: if you can cast a T-72 turret I'll buy them! Would you need the dimensions for the turret opening on the hull? Could you do it for both the PTE and Trumpeter Type 98 tank?

Chad

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:52 pm

If you need any inspiration the video game Battlefield 2 pretty much covers future war scenarios involving the Chinese as adversarial forces and some of these new PTE vehicles are in the game.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:19 pm

C130IM wrote:Aferguson;

Its stretching I know. I look at the PLA to be a adversarial force and the only foriegn military hardware available that could be utilized in a enemy force role. Again, I'm stretching.

Granted not Russian they share similarities with some of their equipment. I was considering modifying the IFV -like some have said- into a BTR-80. But may leave mine as is. One thing missing on the PTE IFV is the front window covers that I usually see in the opened position on the BTR's. They're not on the PTE IFV as shown in pictures of the real Chinese IFV.

The way I'm probably going to approach it in my mind in any future diorama: Chinese and Russian both aligned together and a large conflict. Maybe over Taiwan or some other future war.Then there were conflict settings in middle east or Africa.

The other thing I was told that some middle eastern and african militaries use some of Chinese military equipment. One reference indicated that some chinese armor is used by Iraq and Iran militaries. If I'm wrong please correct me. But its been years when researching the different Chinese armor in 3rd world countries.

PH: if you can cast a T-72 turret I'll buy them! Would you need the dimensions for the turret opening on the hull? Could you do it for both the PTE and Trumpeter Type 98 tank?

Chad
Hey C-130 what part of VA are you from ? I lived in Vienna Va and graduated from Oakton. My dad lived in Fredericksburg.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller