BBI Pavehawk helicopter

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:32 pm

A plug would be nice to cover up the holes. Matt would that be a easy piece to make?

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:35 pm

pcoughran wrote:I'm guessing the wheel skids I think you're talking about are for use in Arctic environments? I've seen the blackhawks up in Alaska outfitted with the skids (I'm guessing for snow). I think I've seen them in the desert as well - maybe for really sandy terrain where the wheels might sink in too much?
I can't believe you're suggesting even more additions LOL. The fuel probe, mini guns, radomes (both versions), chaff dispensers, IR detectors aren't enough? If you really want to make more work, I think a few people would be interested in the single hardpoint ordnance wings for the DAP version. These same folks might want a M230 30mm chain gun as well. If they have an Apache they could take that one off and modify it or make a mold and then modify it, but many don't have the time/skill to do it.
On the pavehawk version, If you don't want to display it with the ordnance arms because you have a fuel probe now, then you are left with an ugly partial attachment that is much bigger than it should be and isn't finished (has the big hole where the ordnance arm should be attached).
I was planning on just removing the whole piece and filling in the small gap and touching it up to look like this one.
It would be nice to have a piece that was the right scale to put in here with a finished end on it that is the right size so it could look like this one.

Like I said before though I'm just happy to be getting the fuel probe, mini guns, and radomes.
You're awesome.
I like that idea about the little plug for that hard point. The plug will be a snap to do. :wink: :wink: :wink: Man this project has snow balled hasn't it ?
Last edited by pickelhaube on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Asking again---does anyone know if the BBI MH-60 belongs to a particular USAF squadron?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:55 pm

dragon53 wrote:Asking again---does anyone know if the BBI MH-60 belongs to a particular USAF squadron?
You got me .

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:35 pm

Here is my probe and the actual. Pretty close.

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:44 pm

Looking good. Any chance you can paint the probe for the Pavehawk? I wouldn't mind painting if I had a Blackhawk, but the camo will require my airbrush and I never have time to play with it.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 am

pcsguy88 wrote:Looking good. Any chance you can paint the probe for the Pavehawk? I wouldn't mind painting if I had a Blackhawk, but the camo will require my airbrush and I never have time to play with it.
Well I am trying to keep the price down. I will paint them black and gray. The gray I am using matches the gray background on the BBI Pavehawk.

domsmkiv
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by domsmkiv » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:51 pm

[quote="Aviatornut.com"][quote="popeye357"]Check with aviatornut, he should be getting some in soon and the price is just right.[/quote]
Thank you for the plug!!!
We have them in stock and shipping out today for $54.99 each[/quote]

i'm 32 and new to r/c toys. if i buy the pavehawk from you, will it be ready to fly? what will i need to do?

feel free to reply in a private message.

thanks.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:16 pm

domsmkiv wrote:
Aviatornut.com wrote: Thank you for the plug!!!
We have them in stock and shipping out today for $54.99 each
i'm 32 and new to r/c toys. if i buy the pavehawk from you, will it be ready to fly? what will i need to do?

feel free to reply in a private message.

thanks.
Not sure who you are asking but if it is me. The parts I am making are all for static display. R/C gear is a whole other cutom alltogether. The R/C gear is pricey and not easy to fit into a helo like this .

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Possibilities...

Post by parrish333 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 pm

First off, I'll join the growing legions in saying THANKS! to PH for giving the 1/18 some real excitement lately.

I'm sure this has already been suggested, but the mini-guns have some real potential for other uses:

1. Other choppers use the mini-guns as door mounts too - I believe certain models of the Sea Knight and Chinook? I'm pretty sure I've seen pics of Huey's with 'em as well. The Huey I guess is the only other true 1:18 bird for that use, but I've got a Chap Mei Sea Knight I'd throw some on (yeah, I know, it'd be akin to eating with a silver spoon out of a styrofoam bowl).

2. Other choppers use the mini-guns as fixed armament. Many of us have BBI AH-6 Little Birds that desperately need them (PH could possibly add the ammo box or a couple other tweaks to make it perfecto). Also I think Huey's used to have them in this configuration as well. I think it's also an optional turret armament on the AH-1 Cobra.

3. Certain ground vehicles have definitely mounted them - the Seal's DPV and Hummers come to mind.

All around, I think these mini-guns have a lot of potential!

p.s.: anyone know if the refueling probe would be the same one on a Sea Knight or Chinook?

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:02 pm

I know if the price is right i'd take a few for my Little Bird and Huey.
I Tan I Epi Tas

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:46 pm

I would love to have a Lil' Bird configured like the ones in "Blackhawk Down". Should not be too hard since the Night Stalker comes with the optional wings.

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Possibilities...

Post by Tambo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:26 am

parrish333 wrote: p.s.: anyone know if the refueling probe would be the same one on a Sea Knight or Chinook?
The Black Hawk probe extends and retracts. The 47E/G probe is much larger and fixed (non-extending).
Good trades: C00per, pcb122605, digger, vulgarvulture X2, General Blasto X2, Light.Inf.Scout, V2 Man, Sentinel, xddave, grunt1

[img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/230/230828/folders/190465/2439227TAMBOSIGsmall.JPG[/img]

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:31 pm

I am trying to dig out an interior mount layout. There is not too much to choose from . I may just have to copy Mig-29's layout. Anybody have any good pics of just the interior mount ?

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:21 pm

PH,
See my reply in your other thread PH minigun thread. There is no post mounted to the cabin floor. The shaft is mounted directly to the bottom of the window bulkhead. It seems to just be an "L" shaped shaft with one side of the "L" being a tube the slides down into the bulkhead of the window and the other side of the "L" being square shaped which receives the sliding portion of the pintel mount.
I posted a couple pictures in the other thread.
Phil
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

vespapilot79
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by vespapilot79 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:34 am

Im with Tambo on the subject of the CH 46!! I do some custom work on JOEDIOS.com. The possibilities are endless with that bird. Im new here and really have not had the chance to look thru most of the forums. Has anyone expressed the interest in a V-22? I'd like to see somthing to carry some troops and some small equipment. I kow the cost would be quite high, hell i'd pay for something that awesome. I got my Pave Hawk finally, and now waiting for my F-16. I used to be a crew chief on them at the Fresno ANGB. I would also like to place my interest in any new cutoms for the Pave Hawk. (Re fueling boom, Flir, etc.) Sorry if im just rambling. Im really excited to have found this forum. Im looking forward to finding out new info and getting to meet other enthusiasts on here!!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:37 am

Vespapilot79, welcome abooard.

Check out the thread below from this forum about customizing your Pavehawk:

viewtopic.php?t=15176&start=100
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:08 am

I pulled this thread up out of retirement. Those little sensors on the nose I can do. As well as the star shell container and wench.

The wench would be cool with a basket or somebody repelling with it :D

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:56 am

pickelhaube wrote:I pulled this thread up out of retirement. Those little sensors on the nose I can do. As well as the star shell container and wench.

The wench would be cool with a basket or somebody repelling with it :D
Pickle,
Are you talking about the Jungle Penetrator (star shaped container)?

I could go for a set of the sensors on the nose and the wench. What do you think about the 50 Cal mounts in the picture above as well? Guys love to add more armament. Actually I'd probably prefer those over the wench and sensors. I believe the wench is the same used on the Huey so you might have a larger market with that?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:27 am

Here are some crazy sweet pics submitted by Spud that pertain to my pop ins and pylon stub.

Sheck out the pylon on the last pic . This how I plan to replicate it :wink:

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:42 am

Awesome photos! Thanks for posting.

I have BBI's Black Hawk. I did a little research on the internet and I found out that only the Pave Hawks are equipped with refueling probes, not the Black Hawks. Does the same go for FLIRs too?
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:27 pm

fightin wrote:Awesome photos! Thanks for posting.

I have BBI's Black Hawk. I did a little research on the internet and I found out that only the Pave Hawks are equipped with refueling probes, not the Black Hawks. Does the same go for FLIRs too?
The MH-60 is considered a modified blackhawk and can use refueling probes. They are flown by the 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment) out of Ft. Campbell. It is an Army unit, so these would be considered blackhawks. Although, they are more similar to the AirForce pavehawks in capabilities and avionics than to the traditional UH-60 Blackhawk. The SOAR helos are the most advanced and the 160th supports all branches' special ops including Navy Seal, Delta, etc...
The MH-60 DAP (Direct Action Penetrator) is basically a blackhawk gunship which can carry 30mm cannon, Hellfire missles, and M134 miniguns as well as rocket pods.
The BBI version is more like the UH60L variant that can have winglets to carry external fuel tanks or other "stores". It is very rare to see a helo with both the extended fuel probe and external tanks, but I have seen it before just can't find the picture of it. It was probably a 160th Helo as well - MH60 modified for special operations. It would seem redundant to have both.
A little more on the UH-60L below:
UH-60L
In October 1989, the engines were upgraded to two General Electric T700-GE-701C 1890 shp turboshaft engines, and an improved durability gear box was added, resulting in a model designation change from UH-60A to UH-60L. The T700-GE-701C has better high altitude and hot weather performance, greater lifting capacity, and improved corrosion protection. The helicopter can carry a gross weight of 22,000 Lbs and an external load of 9,000 Lbs. The UH-60L variant can utilize an External Stores Support System or ESSS to expand its capabilities. The ESSS system consists of removable "four-station pylons" that can carry external fuel tanks that can extend the Blackhawk range up to 1,150 nautical miles or sixteen Hellfire missiles. Furthermore, Sikorsky states that the Blackhawk can store an additional sixteen Hellfire missiles internally, and deploy a wide range of weapons systmes ranging from guns to mine dispensers