SS Set for 9.95

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:32 pm

ohh yea the helmets for mine are prety good. 1 perfect for every 2 not perfect
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:08 pm

CENT-ONE wrote:Gotta give a big thumbs up to MD for the insane prices and superfast shipping on these. I ordered a bunch of stuff and it was all delivered in excellent shape on Friday!

As far as the SS sets go, I've only opened one of mine and (as they mentioned on the MD order page) the helmets are definitely a bit of a mess though it looks more like production/molding flaws than heat damage. Maybe these sets were surplus that didn't meet full QC and as such weren't numbered and were available so cheap. Even so, it's a steal at $10 and still a great deal for the $20 they have them at now.
The original set that I got when these first came out had crumby helmets as well. They looked to be made out of thinner plastic or something. The shape on some was just wrong as if they were cut out wrong.

Lance Quazar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lance Quazar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:35 pm

I can't find the set on the site.

Is it still available?

Does anyone have a direct link to the page?

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:43 pm

LANCE QUAZAR:

The SS figures aren't among the 21st Century items anymore---apparently they sold out.

MG-42

[+] SS figure set BLOWOUT !

Post by MG-42 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:57 pm

toyktdlgh wrote:
CENT-ONE wrote:Gotta give a big thumbs up to MD for the insane prices and superfast shipping on these. I ordered a bunch of stuff and it was all delivered in excellent shape on Friday!

As far as the SS sets go, I've only opened one of mine and (as they mentioned on the MD order page) the helmets are definitely a bit of a mess though it looks more like production/molding flaws than heat damage. Maybe these sets were surplus that didn't meet full QC and as such weren't numbered and were available so cheap. Even so, it's a steal at $10 and still a great deal for the $20 they have them at now.
The original set that I got when these first came out had crumby helmets as well. They looked to be made out of thinner plastic or something. The shape on some was just wrong as if they were cut out wrong.
>>> I didn't notice anything like this at all and I also have the #'rd set. ... The only thing I noticed right off , was that the emblems on the helmets were totally out of scale ,.. that they were way too big ,.. that's all. * :?

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:17 pm

CHANGE OF PLAN. mY BUILDING LOOKS DESTROYED NOW :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
--Samuel Beckett

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I was overjoyed today to receive my two SS sets, a few 1/72 tanks and an armful of 1/32 aircraft and armor from MD today. Due to the terrible issues I have with shipping to my home (wife finds them) I typically drop ship them to my brother's apartment or my work. This time they came to my office and I carefully shut the door. Not locked, but enough where someone should knock.

I have them all pulled out onto my desk preparing to really look them over and who would you guess walks in? Yes, Ms. Olifant. We work for the same company and carpool in together. Needless to say she was not pleased.

I am not sure if I will be getting a ride home tonight or not. I am not sure what would be worse; spending the night at work or getting to talk this one through during the 45 minute drive home. :?

I guess I could live off the land here; forage the cubicles for stale donuts and cold coffeee, bathe in the gym shower and sleep under a blanket of post it notes. If I can keep a steady supply of deliveries going I guess life wouldn't be too bad... :roll:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm

olifant wrote:I was overjoyed today to receive my two SS sets, a few 1/72 tanks and an armful of 1/32 aircraft and armor from MD today. Due to the terrible issues I have with shipping to my home (wife finds them) I typically drop ship them to my brother's apartment or my work. This time they came to my office and I carefully shut the door. Not locked, but enough where someone should knock.

I have them all pulled out onto my desk preparing to really look them over and who would you guess walks in? Yes, Ms. Olifant. We work for the same company and carpool in together. Needless to say she was not pleased.

I am not sure if I will be getting a ride home tonight or not. I am not sure what would be worse; spending the night at work or getting to talk this one through during the 45 minute drive home. :?

I guess I could live off the land here; forage the cubicles for stale donuts and cold coffeee, bathe in the gym shower and sleep under a blanket of post it notes. If I can keep a steady supply of deliveries going I guess life wouldn't be too bad... :roll:
I would pick- staying at the office and living off the cubicles!
Brother, I feel for you! Nothing like getting caught with your hand in the XD cookie jar.
Here is my top 5 lines to use in the inevitable "LONG" ride home conversation [Deadman riding]
1."Yes, honey. BUT- I could have been locked away with a SUPER model instead of these innocent historical accurate models?"
2."Sweetie, just think off all the money I am SAVING!!!"
3."SURPRISE! These wonderful gifts are for YOU! I was just getting all those annoying twist ties off for you!"
4.JOEY BUTTAFUOUO
5."Honey, how did you know I wanted all of this for VALENTINES DAY? Let's stop at Victoria's Secret...for YOU! :twisted: "
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:50 pm

My set arrived this afternoon. The set is not numbered... no biggie and the cardboard tab on the lid or cover of the box was cut off so the cover was taped shut. That said I don't care! 16 figures for $9.95.
The figures look good, a few head sculpts I've never seen oh and the helmets were fine no problems. As Mitch has stated the emblems/decals on the helmets are out of scale maybe 1:16th could even be Verlinden which is fine with me.
I'm glad I got the set!

Now I can't wait for the $24.95 Panthers to show up. 8)

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:59 pm

My set arrived yesterday and is already the talk of the office among the history fans at work (I had them shipped to the office). Of course, my assistant just gave me the look "here we go again, more toys." Oh well. At least no one complains when I go home, and kind of hard for people to complain at work, when my boss is the one telling me to put some shelves up in my office so I can display more!
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:38 pm

olifant wrote:I was overjoyed today to receive my two SS sets, a few 1/72 tanks and an armful of 1/32 aircraft and armor from MD today. Due to the terrible issues I have with shipping to my home (wife finds them) I typically drop ship them to my brother's apartment or my work. This time they came to my office and I carefully shut the door. Not locked, but enough where someone should knock.

lol :lol: You're screwed.. ;)

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:35 pm

Razor17019 wrote:

I would pick- staying at the office and living off the cubicles!
Brother, I feel for you! Nothing like getting caught with your hand in the XD cookie jar.
Here is my top 5 lines to use in the inevitable "LONG" ride home conversation [Deadman riding]
1."Yes, honey. BUT- I could have been locked away with a SUPER model instead of these innocent historical accurate models?"
2."Sweetie, just think off all the money I am SAVING!!!"
3."SURPRISE! These wonderful gifts are for YOU! I was just getting all those annoying twist ties off for you!"
4.JOEY BUTTAFUOUO
5."Honey, how did you know I wanted all of this for VALENTINES DAY? Let's stop at Victoria's Secret...for YOU! :twisted: "

OH GOD IM SOOOOO GLAD IM STILL A KID.
--Samuel Beckett

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:40 pm

oooohhhhhh man....I feel for you..........What's your wife's cell phone number I will tell her that you bought those to give to a few poor kids at the local orphanage....VA center....ect.....

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:46 pm

I got my sets and looked the one over tonight... Some thoughts.

I got some quality issues with the figures... A couple of mine have loose, mostly left elbows, and they pop apart at the joint. I also got a figure with a lopsided set of legs, so he sort of has to pose as though he's taking a step.

I am a little disappointed that the coatless officer is the 1st series German Officer too... Different legs would've been nice on him as I don't care for the old style joints, but it's passable to have a dress SS officer.

Anyway, overall other than a couple minor gripes, I was pleased. My one set was opened, the other wasn't. No big deal, no parts missing so it's fine. I would've liked removable headgear on all, and everyone to have hinged joints over the .45 degree angle cuts. Those suck, but are small gripes. I'd add too that the "angry" faces should've just been replaced with one of the neutral heads painted differently (blonde hair or whatnot to differentiate it from the other hair colors of the same headsculpt). That would've made the set cooler to me personally. I plan on maybe nabbing some FOV Germans and swapping some heads that way maybe.

When I open my 2nd set, I'll combine and have them marching I guess... Not much else I figure I can do with 'em and they're really a novelty to me. It'd be neat to have a nice car for the officers or something but that German Staff Car (die-cast) some of you guys have is uber expensive so I doubt I go that route, being a tightwad and all. ;)[/url]
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CENT-ONE » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:47 pm

They've got a few SS sets back in stock
http://www.monkeydepot.com/21st_Century ... sx0125.htm
Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:13 pm

I got a kick out of reading this olifant, so I had to share it with Mrs. Zonetoys and her reaction was.........no reaction..........OoooKay!
Guess it hit too close to home. But I figure if I can fill the house with toys, maybe I can force her out! BAD! BAD! (alter ego)
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:15 am

It appears that MD is acting as the liquidating agent for 21st stuff with all these great bargains.

Lance Quazar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lance Quazar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:57 pm

CENT-ONE wrote:They've got a few SS sets back in stock
Wait, so they were ten and now they're thirty??

Bastards!

pcb122605
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pcb122605 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Lance Quazar wrote:
CENT-ONE wrote:They've got a few SS sets back in stock
Wait, so they were ten and now they're thirty??

Bastards!
They were 9.95, then more went up at 19.95, then some more at 24.95, now 27.95.

I missed out on the 9.95 price but when I saw here that more were available at 19.95 I was going to get a set, but when I clicked the link, it was already pushed up to 24.95. Sorry, but I will not support a store that raises prices on "clearance" items just because it became wildy popular and sold out quickly.

I was also tempted to buy a 24.95 Panther but the shipping is insane. 60 bucks for Priority Mail? I don't necessary blame Monkey Depot for this, but the shipping they offer doesn't make many of these items much of a bargain in the end.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:58 pm

* USPS is not the only option there. What's wrong w/ FedEx in that respect ? ... There's always a cheaper option to choose from. :?

* Depending on the item , you still have options though , regardless. ... I bought the new Panther via FedEx because it was the cheapest option ,.. still under $50.00 bucks , $47.18 ¢ents to be exact ,.. whoop de' doo ! * :roll:

Mitch v MG

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:06 pm

I checked into the Avenger which I still may pick up. It was $22 shipping to Cincinnati via fed-ex. That’s pretty on par especially for such a large airplane. I think they charged me $8 for the SS set. I saw some pretty crazy shipping options for overnight and priority but the Fed-ex price wasn’t that bad. Still it’s a way better price than what’s out there right now.

MG-42

Re: [+] SS figure set BLOWOUT !

Post by MG-42 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:15 pm

MG-42 wrote:* USPS is not the only option there. What's wrong w/ FedEx in that respect ? ... There's always a cheaper option to choose from. :?

* Depending on the item , you still have options though , regardless. ... I bought the new Panther via FedEx because it was the cheapest option ,.. still under $50.00 bucks , $47.18 ¢ents to be exact ,.. whoop de' doo ! * :roll:

Mitch v MG
>>> Yeah , I hear ya' Kevin. ... I'm quoting myself just so it does'nt get lost in the shuffle.

v MG

pcb122605
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: [+] SS figure set BLOWOUT !

Post by pcb122605 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:39 pm

MG-42 wrote:* USPS is not the only option there. What's wrong w/ FedEx in that respect ? ... There's always a cheaper option to choose from. :?

Mitch v MG
Cheapest Fed Ex rate is still too much IMHO - 26.48? Pass. And there is absolutely no way Priority Mail would cost 68 dollars. For fun, I priced out an 11 lb box with 15x15x15 dimensions and it comes to 41.55 for Priority from PA to CA. Surely this tank is much lighter and the box would be smaller, no?

And why would a tank be more expensive to ship to PA than a much larger Avenger to Ohio?

Oh and they have once again jacked up the price on the SS set - 29.99 now.

Their deals are not that special when you factor in the outrageous shipping. Add in the fact that they are raising prices multiple times per day on a hot seller and I have to say I am not at all enticed to buy from them.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:46 pm

* Yeah ,.. I see what you mean here , and I agree , it's not fair but some of the stuff is still pretty cheap. :wink:

* .... Perhaps Corey Stinson can help explain what they're doing @ MD.

Mitch v MG

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:36 am

Just for the curious, if you see parcel rates for the USPS higher, it often depends on the size of the box and things... The reason being, a Fed-Ex guy is just delivering parcels all day... Parcels a mailman delivers are part of his daily route, which includes stops at all the boxes and things. Not to mention you usually are getting a little better service/treatment from the mailman since they know you and the area better, they're usually more timely, and all those things... The mailman's pay is higher too, to supply all the service they do. They generally do a lot better than Fed-Ex and UPS guys do financially, but they also have about 100x more work to do, and more overhead costs generally due to their different type of work.

Just some insight into why USPS may cost more... Honestly though, big boxes add a lot of work to a USPS worker's day, but they're happily accepted. Well, maybe not happily by the employee all the time, haha. It really sucks when you've got businesses and things on your route though, getting tons of parcels daily. It can make for a long, long, long day.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!