Avenger wing sag revisited

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Avenger wing sag revisited

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:38 am

I was looking at my avengers and i think the wing sag is getting a bit worse.....not sure, but regardless it is noticable.

I thought a simple way to fix it would be to hang it from its wings, rather than the fuselage. A loop around the outer part of each wing and then a third around the rear fuselage for stability but most of the weight would be born by the wings which should cause them to angle up rather then sag.

I haven't tried it yet; thought i'd ask if anyone has done this and if so how well it worked.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by mikeg » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:43 am

it would make the wing sag twice as bad- look what that did for john mccain- I dont hang my avengers the usual way, I put the fusilage between two wrapped nails whith the rear wheel extended and let it lay flat on the wall

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:53 am

Aferg I hung my avenger so that most of the weight is supported by the fuse, and then added lines around each wing outboard of the hinge that way I have the proper dihedral on the wings, but they are not supporting the weight of the aircraft.
I fly cartoon airplanes

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:16 pm

I have a simple and easy solution if your interested. I have the Atlantic version hanging in my office where it's been since I picked it up after first release. The outer wing panels on mine sagged a little too, so I found this easy fix. There is a triangular hinged door on the bottom side of both wings right at the fold line. Those doors are designed to fit almost flush with the bottom of the wing, but if you hiper-extend the wing upwards a little, the door fits inside of the opening it's supposed to cover. If you push it inside just enough, it holds the wing up better and is barely noticeable from below. Try it.....
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:05 pm

Folkwulfe I did that but one of the wings keeps sagging. The little panel will pop out after a while and then the wing sags. I think it's because where I have my avenger hanging the hvac register blows almost directly on it and the plane rocks a little when the hvac is running.

I will say that the way I do it now can be frustrating and time consuming because you have to adjust the line on the wing just right. At least I do, but I'm just that way about things.
I fly cartoon airplanes

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:24 pm

What if you put a little shim up in there ? Like a tooth pick or something like that ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:39 pm

i think it would take quite a shim to do the job...and then it would look ugly.

I still think hanging it by its wings would work. Just adjust the loops inboard or outboard to get the right amount of hedral. If it sags upwards over time, just move the loops slightly inward and the wings will sag back down a bit to the desired level. I'm thinking an inch outboard of the wheel wells is the optimal place for the loops.

kevrut

Post by kevrut » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:17 pm

I've got mine hooked at the wheelwells. It's been hanging since they first came out too. No sagging yet. :wink:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:14 pm

excellent.....a trail blazer. Looks great too. I'm going to redo my two hanging avengers this way when i get a chance. :)