Outlook for 18th AC uncertain-so-

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

Outlook for 18th AC uncertain-so-

Post by mikeg » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 pm

in the early days, I decided to get 1 of every 18th AC in every scheme-(except the f-18s and f-16s) seemed easy until collector interest spawned delights such as skywork toys, etc. Brute reality has shown their are limits (financial, not necessarily space) to what seemed like a logical idea at the time.. For instance, I have 4 out of the 7 stukas (no customs)- I have no real desire anymore to acquire the others like I used to. Is this the result of the 39.00 - 45.00 market going dry, chemical changes in ones body- male menapause or middle aged dimentia. The old times will flare occasionally-and admiral white 7 ordered today- but I just get it in, put it together, look at it for little bit, hang it, and walk upstairs- where has the sizzle gone?

MG-42

? ? ?

Post by MG-42 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:14 pm

* I feel pretty much the same way anymore. :?

Mitch v MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:46 pm

I have two rented storage buildings full of "stuff" I have collected since around the late 80's. Tons of sports cards, diecast cars, plastic models, all kinds of action figures, militaria, etc. Some interests have wained and came back and some have left completely. Thing is, I go thru my "stuff" now and sometimes think "what possesed me to buy that". I have boxes and boxes of "stuff" that I have absolutely no interest in now, but which I was really into at one point in time. The interest in military models, built and unbuilt, is still strong with diecast cars a secondary interest. I still like sports cards but that hobby has become so expensive since the late 80's that its unbelievable. Have no idea what will grab my attention next.

I was a real gearhead in younger days and had a misspent youth on the dragstrip. Bought a new Shelby GT500 last year. I enjoy it, but the kick I used to get from working on my hot rods is not even there any longer. It surprised me that I have not been able to get the passion back for that. But again, its become super expensive to modify a car anymore. Hopefully when spring gets here, that passion will come back.

MG-42

? ? ?

Post by MG-42 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:02 pm

* Reminds me of that country song ....... "What was I thinkin' " .

v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:54 pm

This is the exact reason I trade stuff off for new interests. If it has to be stored and has not been taken out for 6mo, it becomes trade fodder. The wife appreciates this approach also, since it keeps me from dropping $200 on something like an F-16. It is much cheaper to have patience and only pay postage on a trade than it is to pack stuff away and pay secondary market prices. I actually buy exclusive stuff I have no interest in so I can trade for stuff I can not afford otherwise.

Sounds like it's time for an evilbay sale hotrodrock.

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:58 pm

Mikeg,
I know exaclty how you feel about 1/18 scale stuff right now. I'm in the same boat. I just don't have the passion right now that I had for this stuff a few years ago. For me, I think it is because right now the hobby is just stale. There is really very little new stuff out and almost nothing to look forward to. I was a Wal Mart junkie and the thrill of the hunt was a large part of the appeal for me. I loved finding the new stuff in the store or finding the clearance deals. Without that, it's just a lot less fun. My interest has waned so much lately, that I have considered selling off some of my collection.

On a broader note, I have had much less interest in most of my hobbies as of late and at times have gotten an extreme desire to sell off almost everything (1:1 cars, 1/48 models, XD, books, etc.) and just save money. I think this is coming from the fact that I am now in my mid-30s and feel that I may have wasted a good deal of time and money on a bunch of crap I didn't really need. Sorry, didn't mean to get too personal, but it just seemed to go with the discussion.

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:41 pm

pokeyjtc, thinking about money wasted on plastic is always enough to make anyone sick. Some times I shake my head, other times I go into denial. I'm helping the economy by buying this, right?

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:48 pm

pokeyjtc wrote:Mikeg,
I know exaclty how you feel about 1/18 scale stuff right now. I'm in the same boat. I just don't have the passion right now that I had for this stuff a few years ago. For me, I think it is because right now the hobby is just stale. There is really very little new stuff out and almost nothing to look forward to. I was a Wal Mart junkie and the thrill of the hunt was a large part of the appeal for me. I loved finding the new stuff in the store or finding the clearance deals. Without that, it's just a lot less fun. My interest has waned so much lately, that I have considered selling off some of my collection.

On a broader note, I have had much less interest in most of my hobbies as of late and at times have gotten an extreme desire to sell off almost everything (1:1 cars, 1/48 models, XD, books, etc.) and just save money. I think this is coming from the fact that I am now in my mid-30s and feel that I may have wasted a good deal of time and money on a bunch of crap I didn't really need. Sorry, didn't mean to get too personal, but it just seemed to go with the discussion.
Jason and Mikeg,

I have seen this before. It is viral in nature. You need to order two CL-13s and call me in the morning. :lol:

Just kidding. We hope to give you that first date excitement again.

I have been depressed about the state of our hobby as well. That is why you will see a motivated push to get the collectors involved again. Hang in there. This too will pass.

Regards,
Dr. Jason

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:05 am

pcsguy88 wrote:pokeyjtc, thinking about money wasted on plastic is always enough to make anyone sick. Some times I shake my head, other times I go into denial. I'm helping the economy by buying this, right?
The way I look at it is we will "waste" money on one thing or another! I have lost more money in my investment portfolio than I have ever wasted on Toys! And I can't even physically play with my portfolio! Certificates don't look near as cool as a piece of vintage armor sitting on a shelf!
But I think the problem is "The Hunt" as dwindled to the point where there are not enough rewards to justify it! Like "pokeyjtc" I too spent alot of time running from TRU and Walmart to Walmart trying to find that 1/18 score! Haven't lost hope completely, but I can drive right by a TRU and not even stop!
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:05 am

I have commented more than once on the thrill of the hunt- the Atlanta metro area has absolutely no shortage of targets, walmarts, TRU, and the occasional army/navy store. How much is invested in chinese plastic? how about why does my wife believe my car gets worse gas mileage than a wide berth trailer with a home on it? Only recently have I been able to pass by walmarts with a clear conscience. There are no new surprises with five star at target, only two TRU that still have mildly interesting items, and only then, if they on clearance...After eight years of this, I finally have started to purchase a thing or two off the net retailers.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:25 am

XD is in recession just like everything else. Probably will be for sometime to come too.