Cat mouth Hellcat

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
P47faninchicago
Sergeant
Sergeant

Cat mouth Hellcat

Post by P47faninchicago » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:45 pm

I notice on the military toy shop website that the cat mouth Hellcat was a limited edition 2000 piece item. Anyone know if it was indeed a limited edition? If so, I am quite surprised that so many of them are so common on e-bay and webstores at the introductory price or less even this long after it was released. If it was a limited edition piece and it has been so difficult to sell even 2000 of them in a massive market like the USA it certainly could explain BBI's decision to hold off on the limited edition repaints of the F-18's , F-16's, and zero.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:09 pm

I agree with the fact that it seems they should have been gone by now. I have one and its a very well done plane. I dont believe the catmouth paint scheme is very popular. most collectors seem to prefer a more traditional one. Im suprised at how many are still available. it makes you wonder if they had a second run. if so thats just not nice!
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

P47faninchicago
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P47faninchicago » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Really surprised it wasn't more popular. The US Navy discouraged any flamboyant noseart so distinctive noseart on navy planes was quite rare unlike the army airforce who could do virtually anything they wanted in regards to their noseart. Most navy planes were pretty much generic so getting a plane like the cat mouth Hellcat was really unusual. If BBI had so much trouble unloading the Hellcat I'm sure it would give them pause in regards to investing much larger sums of money in major repaints such as those proposed for the Falcon and hornet.

digger

hellcat

Post by digger » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:56 am

It is one of those planes that some people always felt was overdue but companies and retailers always said was not a very popular bird. Companies were better off making another Corsair or Mustang (as bbi did long before the Hellcat) because relatively the HC just didn't sell well enough.

This is why there is no Hurricane - historically important? Yes. Good seller? No.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:47 am

Yeah, it's funny I preferred the Virachu Hellcat, and bought it.

The nose art just looked un-Navy to me, even though it's was an actual plane.

Wouldn't mind getting a couple if cheap enough for some custom paint projects.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Foxhole Toys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Foxhole Toys » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 am

Hi guys,

These are, in fact, Limited Edition paint scheme aircraft and limited to 2000 pieces worldwide.

Initial orders sold well. But when a second release of Vraciu's HC became available once more the 'Cat Mouth' sales took a back seat. Anyone considering this version may want to get one while they can as the secondary market will see big jumps in the not so far off future.

Cheers, Matt :)
Foxhole Toys ..."Dive in!"
www.FoxholeToys.com

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Always been my favorite Hellcat scheme!