High Hopes Dashed - FOV Paratroopers

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dandaman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

High Hopes Dashed - FOV Paratroopers

Post by dandaman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Well, I went to my local Target, money in hand, ready to purchase the new FOV paratroopers. Nothing was going to stop me or get in my way.

Until I actually saw them.

First of all, they look exactly like the regular figures. How boring is that. Secondly, the price. $7.99 each? Are you kidding me?!?

I left them cold on the pegs. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed by a figure set in my life.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:59 pm

i agree i feel they were rushed out and the quality is poor!
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:06 pm

Are they really that bad? All the pics i've seen they look Pretty Good.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

dandaman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

I agree

Post by dandaman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Stug45 wrote:Are they really that bad? All the pics i've seen they look Pretty Good.
Strangely enough, I agree with you there. The online pics look great for some reason. But when you actually see them up close, they are very disappointing.

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:45 pm

I would have liked to have seen some newly sculpt WWII Paratroopers. Maybe we'll see some later down the road.

Rogue 01
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogue 01 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Nothingf to be amazed too bad :(
Never Under estimate the power Of the Force

dandaman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

The Irony

Post by dandaman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:30 pm

I know. The irony of it all is that I was going to buy as many as I could if they were cool. Oh well.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Can't you buy them just to get there equipment......
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:36 pm

Unimax's vehicles are all like that too, from the 1:18 Tiger, Sherman, and the M16. They never do look good inside the package, you've to take it out of the box to be able to fully appreciate it. :wink: I myself almost passed on the Tiger, but bought it anyways since it was on clearance. I'm quite happy I did, the Tiger is quite photogenic!
I'm predicting that the 1:18 Stryker will not look appealing either once it arrives, everybody will probably be screaming "toy" again until it is properly out of the box...

I also wasn't too thrilled either when I first saw the paratroopers, but I suggest buying one or two for now to test them out. If you like them get the rest and then buy extras.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02 am

I saw these on Sunday at the local Target, and honestly I don't see what the big gripe is with them. They're not much more than the modern figures with some extra gear, but the modern guys were great, and I think these look pretty good too... The paintjobs seemed comparable to other FOV figures, and the gear looked to fit a little better than BBI's gear seems to fit.

The price hik,e I assume, is for the jump gear, and a working chute and things, no? It's the same for BBI's paratroopers compared to their basics. You're getting a fabric item, strings... softgoods add a significant ammount to a figure's cost actually, so that's a big reason you'd see them for a couple bucks more than the regular $5 figures.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm gonna nab probably a handful of them to go with the S1 Marines I got. They're the only really great modern military figures out there IMO. BBI's sorta lacked something I thought...

Of course, if FOV did some German/American paras like this, I'd go apecrap buying them up. Especially Germans, and especially if they're good for post-D-Day use.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:15 pm

In these austere 1/18 times we can't afford to be picky now, can we? :wink:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:18 am

I picked these up yesterday becasue they looked pretty good actually and they were hanging on the peg showing "$5.19". When I cheked out they rang up at 7.99 which was a little steep but I had already committed to them and at least you get extra gear with them. Didnt see the Styker though. :cry:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:55 pm

I think the Bravo Team paratroopers are not too bad, though I can certainly see where the negative opinions are coming from. They are like apples and oranges when compared to BBI's superior offerings. I picked up a couple, but have yet to open them and might just take them back to redeem my $15.

The regular Bravo Team Soldiers and Marines are still some of the best generic modern figures available, in my opinion :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CENT-ONE » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:47 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:They are like apples and oranges when compared to BBI's superior offerings.
The regular Bravo Team Soldiers and Marines are still some of the best generic modern figures available, in my opinion :wink:
I haven't really looked at these too close since they're modern era but aren't they repaints of the exisiting figures?

Is the para gear that bad as to take them down a step from being "some of the best generic modern figures" to "not too bad"?

still keeping my fingers crossed that they put out some new WWII figures (falschirmjager's would be great!)
Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:35 am

Personally, I have never been a fan of the FOV figures. I think they all look ridiculous when put up next to BBI, or better yet, 21st Century WWII figures. I have bought them only for the heads, hands, and helmets.

I only really collect WWII military figures, so these paratroopers are definately out of my range. I did see them, but knew I was going to pass before I even hit the toy aisle.

However, I can see myself buying British/German, and even American paras if FOV (or BBI or 21st, please God) produces them.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:42 pm

I saw them - dont look too bad but I already bought BBI para troopers - whats next a FOV BoB Driver with Mackinaw?
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.