Black 12

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Black 12

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:09 pm

I guess, from what I'm hearing on the other boards, that the "Black 12" or S4 version of the 21C FW190 D9 is fairly common. A friend found two in a distant WM and got them. Here are pics fresh from the box...
ImageImage
As you can see, Black 12 is a very late war example with patchwork camo. Most of the fuse is pale green primer with red anti-foul paint on the panel lines. Some of the underside is silver for unpainted natural metal. Even one of the national crosses is incomplete. The upper surfaces are also missmatched camo as you can see. What really startled me was the "bloody" look of the face of the pilot....but that's probably just a bad shading job on the figure. Hadn't seen this one before...just thought I'd share.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by kevrut » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:24 pm

Nice pics, I haven't even taken mine out of the box yet.

digger

Post by digger » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:02 pm

:oops: I thought the underside was like that because of repair/lack of materials....

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:08 pm

The local WM in my area still have these planes sitting on the shelf. I'd thought they'd be long gone by now.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:12 pm

One has got to hand it to 21c for making so many interesting repaints with their FW-190D9 series. You get some basic looking planes (White 1 and Black 1) then some very interesting schemes such as the above and Red 3.

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:46 pm

I know that the FW190s are as common as dirt, but I wound up buying all 4 repaints because I was able to get them all on clearance (as cheap as $2). I wasn't that interested in the plane before I bought them, but after getting them, I really like the plane and 21Cs representation of it. I have to say that Balck 12 is probably my favorite.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:10 am

digger, you are right. I believe the story on black 12 is that it was built from other wrecked aircraft which were canabalized into Black 12.

This would be a good one to 'wreck' the way the Germans did before their airfields were over run. Take off the prop and canopy, flatten the tires, cut open the engine panels and make it look like the engine has been spiked (rendered unusable) etc. Lots of source pictures for this kind of self sabotage.. It would make for a very interesting display piece.

I still need to get me a black 12...