Any Regrets?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ExC17load » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:44 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Hmm... regrets...

Well, if there was any regret, it would be that over the years I've spent so much darn money on all this junk :lol: I mean, when you have a box full of figures and think that each one cost $5, then you have nearly 30 aircraft and think that each of those cost on average between $40 and $60, and you have a bunch of armored vehicles that cost between $20 and $50, one comes to realize how much money got tied up with this hobby and could have been put to better uses. It has all been fun, though :wink:

On a more positive note, I've gotten the repaints of the planes that I want, including hard-to-find ones such as the Spitfire and FW-190D9, so there are really no regrets about something I left behind. I guess a regret would have been to have picked up more FW-190s and Spitfires when they had been rotting on my local Wal Mart shelves and sold them at some future date. However, at the time, who would have though the 21c FW-190D9 would ever have been worth anything :roll:
I try not to think about the money I have invested in this hobby. Good thing I have my wife to do it. That makes it easier on me. No sense in both of remembering it. :lol:
"I can stop collecting 1:18 scale anytime, really I can. OOoh, the new Stuka re-paint! I don't have that one.

Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:32 am

ExC17load wrote:
tmanthegreat wrote:Hmm... regrets...

Well, if there was any regret, it would be that over the years I've spent so much darn money on all this junk :lol: I mean, when you have a box full of figures and think that each one cost $5, then you have nearly 30 aircraft and think that each of those cost on average between $40 and $60, and you have a bunch of armored vehicles that cost between $20 and $50, one comes to realize how much money got tied up with this hobby and could have been put to better uses. It has all been fun, though :wink:

On a more positive note, I've gotten the repaints of the planes that I want, including hard-to-find ones such as the Spitfire and FW-190D9, so there are really no regrets about something I left behind. I guess a regret would have been to have picked up more FW-190s and Spitfires when they had been rotting on my local Wal Mart shelves and sold them at some future date. However, at the time, who would have though the 21c FW-190D9 would ever have been worth anything :roll:
I try not to think about the money I have invested in this hobby. Good thing I have my wife to do it. That makes it easier on me. No sense in both of remembering it. :lol:

i ditto that :lol:
whats up doc....

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:39 am

I regret not buying every XD and BBI Tank, Airplane, and helicopter I saw at TRU Walmart, and more recently Target in huge multiples, in the early years (except for the first two or three planes) and turned a huge profit, and still have a major collection of appreciating toys.

I would guess XD has done better than many investments lately.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

panzertruppen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by panzertruppen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:26 pm

1:18 Pz IV... but I got the Tiger instead.
"The engine of the Panzer is a weapon just as the main gun."

Major-General Heinz Guderian

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:58 pm

not getting the Winter Stuka and buying more Tigers as I felt it's scale was off. But being here for a long time I heard a bunch of "oh I passed on it and kicked myself later" and started buying what I could find.

DH

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Not getting an AH-1 when there was four on clearance for 18 bucks. :x
[img]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/MG40K/M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver.jpg[/img]

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:27 pm

passing on a lot of clearance items -
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

dandaman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Reiteration

Post by dandaman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:36 pm

I know this is a reiteration, but I regret blowing all my money collecting all these Death Star Troopers...that was good hard-earned money that I could have spent during the holiday season.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:44 pm

I regret not getting a green Huey of any kind. I plan to fix that with a repainted Air America very soon!

I regret not buying a red devils f-18.

I regret not buying at least one extra f-16.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:11 pm

didnt target online have the f-18s a while back at a real cheap price - the moment I realized i should get it they were out of stock - I regret that
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:47 pm

Think it was the F-16.
I fly cartoon airplanes

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

REGRETS

Post by supersonicfifi » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:30 am

My biggest "regret" is not to have bought the Blue angels exclusive in 2005 (when i discovered 1/18 planes !) because 79 US $ was crazy at the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I thought that BAD CAT's guys were out of their mind !!!!! :lol: )

Result : i bought it for 110 US $ in 2006 ! and i think i am lucky ... NOW !

I wish i had bought 2 OR 3 back then (79 each ! ) and would have made a x 5 profit at least !!!!!!!!!!

but i am not collecting for business just for my pleasure !!!

The other regret is excpetcting a F4 phantom too much and being REALLY desapointed when 21st CT pulled this nasty trick to ADMIRAL's nice guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

And i agree the financial impact of collecting theses planes because for me in FRANCE the price are X2 because of the shipping costs related to theses HUGES BOXES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So my last regret is not living near a TRUS, or Wallmart !!!!!!!!! (Luckily some members of this forum are very nice and bought for me some discounted items ! thanx to them !)
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:50 am

Plus I should have picked up a diecast Tiger I at WM a few years ago. $25!!! But very glad I have an S1 Tiger from whenever they first came out.

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:05 pm

F-16 at $50 a piece. I can't believe I didn't think of how cool it would been to have four of these strung from the ceiling.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:39 pm

I gave away a winter stuka some time ago to a friend of mine, I miss that plane. Best thing was when I got a Blue Angels F-18 from a forum member.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

Post by forcerecon85 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:39 pm

XD Huey for $80 at my local hobby shop. We don't get any XD up here. Came back the next day and she was gone :(

dandaman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Ok...

Post by dandaman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:35 am

Ok...I told you about my Death Star Trooper regret. Doesn't anyone feel sorry for me?

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:08 pm

sure, sunshine-

RA5BS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RA5BS » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

I gave my Bad Cat exclusive Boyington Corsair to my brother...right before one sold on eBay for $500. Oh, well.
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today..."

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:12 am

I feel your pain Dandaman, I too am stuck in a vice which I cannot free myself from. I am really regretting not getting a better education so I could be making more money and spending it on XD!

dandaman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

On the plus side

Post by dandaman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:10 am

popeye357 wrote:I feel your pain Dandaman, I too am stuck in a vice which I cannot free myself from. I am really regretting not getting a better education so I could be making more money and spending it on XD!
Less and less people are graduating college and high school these days. If you have the drive, and go on to complete your education, then you have a very good chance at making good money to spend on XD. We live in a society of mediocrity right now, so you would definitely stand out and people would pay you more. This is a major reason for our country being in the sad state it is in right now.

TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

TRU Panthers

Post by TOOL » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:16 am

Back in the early days I passed on a stack of First Series Panthers on clearance for $20. It still makes me sick to my stomach. I also passed on first series figures for .99 cents a piece aaaahhhhhhhhh!!!

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:12 pm

I regret not buying all the d-day spitfire's
when they where on sell for 20$ in 2004 there where about 12 of them but i had 40 bucks and i bought adolf gallands me109 :)
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Robopredator
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Robopredator » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 am

it seems like lots of cobra and huey blues!!

i regret not buying the first huey for $30

stacks and stacks of them, when they first dropped, It was a childhood dream realised,
Im glad though that I did get the 2 green versions, but had to sell the cobra.

I regret not gettting the non RC version of the apc,