88 gun still in the works?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:06 pm

I have to figure out how to include the 88 with my 1/16 tiger.........Soooo her I go.......ooooohmmm
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:18 pm

on relection I think it maybe the figures are a little larger, given they do not fit in the hatches etc of the 1/18 and yes I know if they were real they would mould in more with bending correctly, but most you cannot get behind a steering wheel, but the original figure with the Kubelwagon fits all over the place, but you can see he has been made slightly smaller, perhaps he is the true 1/18 figure size.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:22 pm

actually, i think the star wars figures are true 1/18 size. Their heads and hands and arms are better proportioned to their bodies too. No gorilla arms with huge hands and sweater stretching heads.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:00 pm

aferguson wrote:dark grey was used on all fronts, including north afrika. It was used from sept 1, 1939 til mid '43, when the 3 colour camo came into being. So it has a lot more usefulness, in dark grey, than sand. Plus it just looks really good in dark grey. :wink:
Also at the end of the war the Germans were running out of paint as well as everything eles. So there where some late war armor and artillery in the dark grey at the end,
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks TKO for the encouraging bit of news on the 88.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:24 pm

An 88 on store shelves may convince me... I jus tknow the prices online are not something I'll pay, regardless of it being fantastic or not. It's later value doesn't matter to me since I wouldn't sell it if I did get one. My planes I'd consider selling (at least some, like my Stuka, my Spitfire, etc.), but not an 88 if i were to own one. THat'd be forever on a shelf with figures. :)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:55 am

the point is you will want one at a later date and then they'll be $300 a piece to buy. I'm saying that if you don't buy one when they come out initially, you'll be sorry.

The notion that there was late war german tanks painted in dark grey has proven to be false. The dark grey paint stocks had been depleted and there was virtually none left by late in the war. What at one time was thought to have been late war german armour in overall dark grey actually is late war german armour in overall dark green. Some are even overall in dark red primer but in black and white photos it can look like a dark grey colour.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:18 am

aferguson wrote:the point is you will want one at a later date and then they'll be $300 a piece to buy. I'm saying that if you don't buy one when they come out initially, you'll be sorry.
Agreed. I'm still kicking myself for not having bought a Super Cobra back when they were still plentiful and CHEAP. :(

MG-42

[+] 88 News

Post by MG-42 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:09 am

aferguson wrote: I hope they decided to release the S1 in dark grey instead of DAK. A sand coloured 88 will definitely hurt sales i'm afraid; a dark grey will sell like mad.
dark grey!
>>> "If you don't like the color , then just simply paint the damn thing".

* I seriously doubt the DAK (S-1) scheme would hurt $ales. Everybody will just be glad , like myself , to get a new 1:18 piece. * Some a you guys absolutely AMAZE ME ! ! !

* I personally like the (S-1) DAK scheme myself ,.. "dark grey" for (S-2) yeah ! ... If it where originally done in dark grey , some a you guys would be whining & crying for a DAK one.

->>>-----> Bring On The DAK One ! ! ! <-----<<<-

.............. Thanks Zach ! ... Now , where's that Königstiger and some info on it ? ? ?

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:57 am

well first off, it won't be that easy a piece to repaint with all the nooks and crannies on the gun and to that end, i sure ain't gonna repaint 4 of them. Major pain in the butt.

So, if it comes out in DAK colours i'll get one. If it comes out in dark grey i'll get 4. And i'd be willing to bet a great deal of money that many, many people will feel the same way. It's not just board members that buy these things.....you have to consider the more general war toy buying public and what will motivate sales, or multiple sales, from them. Very few will buy multiple DAK's. Many will buy the more generic and useful, dark grey.

A DAK scheme coming out first will without a doubt hurt sales and that is one thing that 21c cannot afford right now. So the dark grey scheme is the clear and obvious choice to lead with.

warbike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by warbike » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:18 am

1:1 Kubelwagen metal kit build in progress.

MG-42

[+] 88 News

Post by MG-42 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:26 am

* It may be hard to re-paint for you , but not everybody. I wouldn't want to re-paint 4 , anyways , unless I really had to. Besides to buy 3 more , would be quite expensive.

Mitch v MG
Last edited by MG-42 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:01 am

I do agree with Aferg, in that I think the general buying public will look at the scheme and be wary of picking it up if it's in DAK specific colors... I'm not saying it wouldn't do well, at least at first, but the grey is easily more "plain". Grey PAK's still seem to retain value as well... I think a grey 88 would be the same for whatever reason. Mostly because grey makes it applicable to a variety of theaters.

The argument that, "You can just fix it yourself", is one I've seen made often in Star Wars and other hobbies, and honestly the vast majority just don't want to do that so it's not a very valid argument. There are always a handful who can and will though too... Which is great. I agree with Aferg though, that people shouldn't have had to, and S1 should be the grey one... Series 2 should've been DAK or tri-color then. I think it served the PAK-40 well going that route.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

MG-42

[+] 88 News

Post by MG-42 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:18 am

* I still do not agree here , to convince me otherwise .

Mitch v MG

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:52 am

Your right Caesarbc.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

MG-42

[+] 88 News

Post by MG-42 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:07 pm

.............. because that's the way 21st.Century Toys chooses to do it. Should know that by now. They like surprises as much as we do.

.......... be Thankful you're getting anything at all during their difficult time.

Mitch v MG

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:48 pm

so if they announced they were going to make the S1 in hot pink, we should just be thankful? No. I think we have valid input to offer 21c. And i suspect what we write on these forums is still read by them.

I'm not saying i don't want a DAK scheme.....i most definitely do. BUT i want several of the grey scheme and since 21c is clearly on shakey ground right now, they need to maximize sales from each production run they are able to make.

So, by doing the more desired grey version FIRST, they can do just that...maximize sales ie sell more and faster. They can then follow up with a smaller run of 88's in DAK colour.

If they do a large production run of DAK first, sales will be more sluggish than if they had chosen grey and thus there might not be a second production run at all, ever again, period.

MG-42

[+] 88 News

Post by MG-42 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:36 pm

* Don't be rediculous. 21st. is going to do whatever they want and nothing is gonna change that.

* 21st.Century Toys , "Love it or leave 1:18".

Mitch v MG

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:14 pm

I have to disagree... Aferg's making perfect sense here. I can't speak for the rest of the country but DAK just doesn't get the love that Western Front (or East) Germans have at retail. Those Bruno's with the prone head sell a lot faster than any of the DAK, and the DAK are pretty good figures. I think it's just a signal of popularity really, for whoever's buying this stuff, and the DAK doesn't get much attention at retail by me.

That said, I would love a DAK and grey, but I'm with Aferg that grey has the more "generic" look and thus would sell better, especially as a collector's piece where most of what we have to go with it is indeed from fronts other than N. Africa.

Now had we gotten a cool N. Africa panzer, maybe some opponents for the front, maybe that desert Kubel with the top up... That maybe would make it more appealing? I dunno... But like Aferg said, 21st being on shakey ground means, at least to me, I'd much prefer getting the most base generic piece rather than something front-specific right now.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:17 pm

If the XD 88mm gun follows the progression of the 32X version then we'll probably get the Grau version first. I'm OK with that as long as it has at least some weathering on it, even if it's very light. My personal preference would be for a Gelb colored version because it would be easier to repaint in a camo scheme than the gray which would require a complete basecoat repaint before the camo pattern could be applied. If the 88mm is well received by collectors we'll probably see several different paint schemes in any case, so this is all probably moot anyway. 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

MG-42

[+] 88 News

Post by MG-42 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:23 pm

* Sure , opinions are voiced and not always welcomed here , but what some a you guys have been saying , is only detrimental to the 1:18 hobby. I'm merely only trying to help moral and support it by saying :

->>>-----> Bring On The DAK 88 ! ! !

Mitch v MG

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:27 pm

Thanks for the info Zach.
T

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:52 pm

I think DAK is kinda glanced over now because there was so many of them to start with - I bought tons - then TRU restocked with more and more and more then WM stocked them....and stocked them and clearanced them for a penny higher than the original price then clearanced them regular price.....and clearanced the stock boy and restocked them.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.