Switch to 1/16 or stay with 1/18 armour?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

Switch to 1/16 armour or stick with 1/18 armour?

Already switched to 1/16 armour
15%
Seriously considering switching to 1/16 armour
9%
Thinking about it
17%
Probably would not switch to 1/16 armour
25%
Would never consider it. It's 1/18 armour or nothing.
34%

Total votes: 65

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:16 am

the last picture of the t-34 and panzer iv is a bit deceptive. I know Ostketten isn't trying to be tricky, it's just the nature of photographs.
Andrew is right, perhaps the perspective of that shot wasn't the best choice, sorry.. I was a bit pressed for time when I posted it, but maybe this shot will do the comparison more justice...

As for where to buy...?? There's always ebay, and you can often get good deals from both individuals, and ebay stores if you are patient and know what you want. A few webstores that I have personally used with good results are...

RC Command: http://rccommand.com/

Raidentech: http://www.raidentech.com/rctank.html

Mato Toys: http://www.matotoys.com/canada/index.ph ... f511e1d1bd

I can highly recommend RC Command, excellent prices and top notch customer service. Mato of Canada tends to be a bit pricey and the shipping from Canada is steep but all of Mato's tanks come with metal drive gears, and some are now including metal tracks and sprockets as well. Whether you need metal is a personal choice, many of the pusists insist on it, but I think it depends in large part how hard you plan to run your tanks and on what kind of terrain, if all you're ever gonna do is run it on your driveway I think metal is an uneccasary expense. Hope that helps. 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

MilitaryMike23
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MilitaryMike23 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:16 am

again thanks

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Wow - never really looked at the 1:16 items - I really like the PZ IIIs and stug. So there are some with smoke and sounds some with metal parts and no smoke and sounds and some with airsoft guns? I know this has probably been asked many times - ive seen the pictures of the 1:18 next to the 1:16 - but what about detail on the items - how does the detail compare to the 21st tanks. Id possibly get a PZ III 1:16 in Dak AND STICK TO THE 1:18 for the smaller vehicles. I know the 1:18 figures look great next to the tanks but do they fit in the hatches?

any one have a 1:16 PZ III pic next to a 1:18 tiger?
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

MG-42

1/16th. vs. 1:18 ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:13 pm

[+] > The 1/16th. models offer as much , if not more detail than the 1:18 armor by 21st., and you can easily put a 21st.C - 1:18 figure in them. * 8) ... Can't help ya' on pics though.

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:32 pm

can the Tamiya extra parts eg barrels worrk with the cheaper tanks?

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:38 pm

* I've not tried this myself because I don't own one of the cheaper ones yet , but I would definitely think so. They are however , on the same scale.

Mitch v MG

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:00 pm

The newer HengLong tanks, like the Panzer IVs, IIIs, and the Stug are vastly superior to 21st tanks in terms of detail. Heck, just the fact that they have working suspension and individual tracks makes them superior hands down.

Check out youtube and search for 1/16 tanks. See how they run. You'd never go back to tanks with rubber band tracks and molded suspension. :lol:

And another good thing about the 1/16th tanks...if someone claims they're going to make a specific tank, it DOES get made and sold to the public. Case in point, the HL Stug. Now there's talks of a 1/16 ELEFANT. How cool is that? :)

And another good thing about the 1/16th tanks is unlike 1/18th, there's tons of custom and upgrade parts for these tanks. So you have an option to leave your tank stock, or make them museum-quality model pieces. :)

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:14 pm

[+] > I would imagine that quite a few people on this forum will jump on the 1/16th armor bandwagen now.

Mitch v MG

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:17 pm

can the Tamiya extra parts eg barrels worrk with the cheaper tanks?
I've found they do. I ordered the metal barrel for Tamiya Tiger and used it on my HL, also I have bought a few parts trees for the Tamiya Tiger and used the parts on my HL.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:15 pm

GooglyDoogly wrote:The newer HengLong tanks, like the Panzer IVs, IIIs, and the Stug are vastly superior to 21st tanks in terms of detail. Heck, just the fact that they have working suspension and individual tracks makes them superior hands down.

Check out youtube and search for 1/16 tanks. See how they run. You'd never go back to tanks with rubber band tracks and molded suspension. :lol:

And another good thing about the 1/16th tanks...if someone claims they're going to make a specific tank, it DOES get made and sold to the public. Case in point, the HL Stug. Now there's talks of a 1/16 ELEFANT. How cool is that? :)

And another good thing about the 1/16th tanks is unlike 1/18th, there's tons of custom and upgrade parts for these tanks. So you have an option to leave your tank stock, or make them museum-quality model pieces. :)
I think GD summed it up pretty nicely here... the real difference comes down to tanks that to a certain extent look, sound, feel, and perform like REAL tanks, as opposed to toy models that are only good for sitting on a shelf or in a display case.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:53 pm

I have both. I keep the 1/16th scale stuff across the room from the 1/18th scale and it's really hard to see the difference from one another from that perspective.
I really want the new Stug and Panzer III and unless 21st Century makes it the choice is easy for me.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:47 pm

I own a 1:16 it is not the same so i will most likely not get another...
whats up doc....

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Black_Dragon_One wrote:I own a 1:16 it is not the same so i will most likely not get another...
what do you not like?

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

suddenly excited

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:22 pm

Sorry no pictures, but I pulled apart a couple of my tank drivers at the waist and sat them in the open hatches of the Tiger, KT and Panzer 111 and they look a treat. I had 7, 1/16 tanks but sold the 2 Panthers as they looked too square shaped for Panthers although they ran well and one of my Sturm tigers had dodgey controls and it did strange moves without even touching the controls. As said these 1/16 tanks look great as long as you keep them away from their counter parts in 1/18. All the other 1/18 vehicles and figures work in fine with them. I have had these for around 18 months without problems. Will consider now getting 2 of each with the new stug and mark 4 this is far better than waiting 8 years like i have with 21st to get 3 German tanks and a promise of a KT for eigthteen months and 60 duplicates. Go 1/16, I can still push them along on rolling tracks, but also drive them.

forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

Post by forcerecon85 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:32 am

For me it depends on what's offered. I know somewhere I found a company awhile ago that made 1:16 scale Vietnam era M274 Mules and since there isn't one in 1/18 I'd buy it. If more Vietnam era vehicles were made in 1/16 and not in 1/18 scale I'd obviously buy it :)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:42 pm

Glencoe made a model of the Mule with recoiless rifle. The kit says it's 1/15 scale but it is actually between 1/18 and 1/19 scale. Quite a nice model too.

You can find them on ebay from time to time for not too much money.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:15 pm

well seems like the diehards outnumber the turncoats about 2:1. With several fence sitters. I think everything now hinges on what FOV does, or fails to do, in the next year. Rumours are that Unimax (FOV) is in trouble too, and if that's the case, the would almost certainly be the final nail in the coffin of 1/18 armour.

The only hopes after that would be Dragon (and that's a slim hope) and our mighty band of customizers...

I have built some paper model tanks in 1/18 (elefant, KV-2, Male Mk I) and while they turn out pretty nicely, there are certainly limitations. Building tanks with curves (like the turret of a t-34 or JS II) is very tricky, they take quite a while to make and are tedious, getting all the little details right (hatches, intakes, grills etc etc) is pretty much impossible so there's a fair bit of fudging and they are somewhat fragile.

However, the variety available is considerable.

Given the choice i think i'd still switch (reluctantly) to 1/16 for tanks, replace my existing 1/18 tanks with 1/16 and go from there. I'm not really happy about doing it.....sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Quite a pickle..

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

1/16 tanks

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Yes, I have made the leap after 8 years die hard 1/18, to at this point replacing my 1/18 tanks to 1/16 tanks. Never thought I would do it, but its opened up a new world for me. Intend for every new 1/16 tank, I will sell 2 of my 1/18. As I have around 50, this allows me keep to this rule for a while, freeing up some space and partly paying for the incoming 1/16. I will keep a core of 1/18 tanks, including my custom built ones. All my other 1/18 vehicles fit in with the 1/16 tanks as do importantly my 700 figures. Hate saying it, but I feel new 1/18 armour is dead in the water. The best things about these new 1/16 tanks they are r/c which adds a little more fun and you can push along if you refer, although not sure if the cogs/motor appreciate it much, but the tracks roll along anyway. As someone said, 98% of the time the tanks are static on display. These Mato tanks seem reasonable in price and are not much more than the 1/18 counterparts, plus there is already 6 German models to choose from, which is twice more than 21st in 9 years of production. My intention is to limit myself to 2 of each at most, which as a army builder this will test me and keeping them charged up and the numerous controls sorted, will also be a chore.

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:06 pm

also the sky's the limit as to available upgrade parts and as to how little or how much you want to customize.

olifant

Post by olifant » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:27 am

I don't like all this peer pressure to switch. As if the fact there is greater selection, comparable prices, increased detail and more playability is going to persuade me. What next? Common sense? :roll:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:19 am

olifant wrote:I don't like all this peer pressure to switch. As if the fact there is greater selection, comparable prices, increased detail and more playability is going to persuade me. What next? Common sense? :roll:
LOL! Imagine your XD figures riding shotgun on a Stug, while charging a fortified line!

olifant

Post by olifant » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:24 am

GooglyDoogly wrote:
olifant wrote:I don't like all this peer pressure to switch. As if the fact there is greater selection, comparable prices, increased detail and more playability is going to persuade me. What next? Common sense? :roll:
LOL! Imagine your XD figures riding shotgun on a Stug, while charging a fortified line!
(Hands over ears) Nananana I can't hear you!! :wink:

All I need are some pictures and I will fold like a lawn chair. :D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:27 am

Hey GD... I've done just that, though not with the Stug yet, and it looks great, the effect is pretty awesome, and if I ever get proficient with my new Aiptek mini digi-camcorder I'll post a video clip here for everyone to see. 8) Attaching the XD figures to your 1/16 tank securely is not as difficult as you might imagine, I use thin little elastic cords... they hold the figures on pretty nicely, they won't damage the tank, and can barely be seen.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:18 pm

if the xd figures are dumb enough to remain on the stug while it's charging a fortified line, then they deserve their fates. They'll end up in plastic toy heaven...

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:59 pm

does anyone have a picture of the PZ III next to the 21st PZ IV?