Gi Joe heads?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

Gi Joe heads?

Post by forcerecon85 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:47 pm

Hey, I want to do a 1:18 scale figure of my friend and one of the 3.75" Gi Joes look kinda like him. Has anyone tried small joe heads on 21c XD figures, specifically the new VN figures? I'm sure General Blasto can comment on this

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:07 pm

The GI Joe heads are the "ball & socket" type heads, while the 21c Vietnam figure heads are the old type with the peg that goes in a hole at the base of the neck. Thus, they are not exactly innerchangeable.

However, you could potentially cut off the neck piece of the GI Joe figure, glue it to the 21c figure and pop the GI Joe head back on. If you do it right, it shouldn't look too bad :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:26 am

Tman has right, yet there is another way, but it is more work and both the GI head and the neck pack of some of the 21st C figures that have the pivioting head can be used. I am currently doing some of these figures right now and will shoot some shots to post for you :wink: It is easiest to as Tman said to chop off the GI neck and glue it into the collar of the 21st C figure.

Stand by and I'll shoot pic,s and post them 8)

Da General

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:13 am

One of the methods that I use for head swapping is to cut off the ball socket at desired length, drill a small hole in the bottom of the neck, and use a small screw to make a post. These usually work really well, sometimes too well but I too will try to post pics of it soon. :)
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 am

The method I use with some success.

Cut the neck off of the Joe Torso or any of the disired ball socket figs you wish to use and trim to desired length.

Use a dremel to drill a hole in the botom of the neck and in the top of the torso.

I use the left-over plastic molding frames from model kits, to create dowls to marry the necks to the torsos. you can lock them in place using superglue.

Here is an example, Ive used this technique on.