Hi Folks, noob here and had a couple of questions (?)

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Treadhead
Corporal
Corporal

Hi Folks, noob here and had a couple of questions (?)

Post by Treadhead » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I just discovered these things (The 1/18th, 1/35th and 1/32nd scale planes and armored vehicles) a few months ago and am thinking that I'm going to spend ALOT of $$$ in the future building a few collections :lol:

I'm an old 19E/19K (M-60 and M-1 series crewman) and run AVLB's for my current unit (Eh...they're "Almost" tanks lol) so I'm interested in 1/18th and 1/35th scale vehicles but, as a "warbird" enthusiast I'm ALSO interested in the planes available in these scales.

My first question is....is there any rhyme or reason to how specific models are released in various regions? I've noticed that some folks seem to have an "Over-abundance" of certain sets/models while others are forced to hit e-bay for these items at "Retail++" prices.

Second, I've seen the 1/18th scale (Marine) M-48 out there (And am going to order one this week-end) and know that FOV offers an M1 series tank but....does anyone have an M-60A1 or T-62 (Or a '55) in the same scale that doesn't need to be built?

Thanks for any info,

"Treadhead"

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:05 pm

Can't help you much on the AFV questions, but I can shed a little light on the availability question.
It all comes down to location for releases and timing. At one time, both Target and Wallyworld were releasing new stuff pretty quick and scattered around the country. That was a couple of years ago....flash forward to today. WalMart has almost totally neglected the military toy collectors over the last couple of years, but it seems to be improving a little as of late. Target has carried some here and there, but it's sparce pickings at best. On-line retailers (Etailers) are the best sources for a wide variety and the prices aren't that much higher than local stores (when you can find them). By all means, avoid Evilbay as the prices will skyrocket before your very eyes....and some (not near all) of the sellers are not very honest about what you are bidding on. With a good Etailer, you have return and exchange policies....Ebay does not. If you haven't checked some of the Etailers out, you might start with Bad Cat Toys and Small Joes, who also help sponsor this forum. I have done alot of purchasing from Bad Cat and have yet to get a bad deal. You might also want to check the traders forum page (here at Small Scale HQ) for people on this board who have items for sell or trade. Overall a very good bunch of folks around these parts.

Well, that's my $0.02 worth......Good hunting!
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:24 am

Good to have you on the board. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the distribution. Certain models have never been in my area, when other areas are over-supplied. The best advice I have is to buy what you can, when you can as you may never see it again.

Comparitively little armour released in 1/18, you might want to look on e-bay for 1/16 scale also.

Treadhead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Treadhead » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:14 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll check out some of the Etailers and see what's available.

In 6 months I can start buying from folks here (If I read the policy right) and that looks like a good way to find some decent deals.

Thanks again 8)

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:39 pm

Tread, welcome aboard! You can find a list of about everything made by the major (and some of the minor) 1:18 military companies here:

http://www.sshqdb.com

Hope that helps.. :)

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:46 pm

Welcome aboard Treadhead!

tmanthegreat

Re: Hi Folks, noob here and had a couple of questions (?)

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:20 pm

There is no real rhyme or reason to the distribution patterns of the major retailers. It may have to do with what comes out near a regional distribution center and may also have to do with an individual store manager's choice, but the fact that say, the midwest and upper south get new planes and figures while the rest of country (particularly the western states) get nothing for months on end is puzzling and annoying.

As far as the modern vehicle and tank types go, 21st Century Toys (21c) currently offers the M-48 in 1:18th scale. In the past, they have offered the M-2 Bradley and the M113 APC in 1:18th scale. They have also made an M-41-Walker Bulldog tank and that is sort of modern.

FOV (Unimax) offers an M1 and an M2 in 1:18th and BBI (Blue Box Toys) offers an M1 and USMC LAV-25 as well. There are various types of Hummers available from 21c and BBI at the moment.

No company has made an M-60 or Russian T-series tank in 1:18th scale. FOV does make an M-60 and a Russian T-72 in 1:32 scale. The 21c M-48 is probably as close to the M-60 as you are going to get in 1:18 scale. If you are not too picky about scale, however, there is a 1:16 scale Russian T-34 and US M-26 Pershing available, but those aren't exactly modern. These are a little larger than 1:18th tanks.

So, welcome to the board and hope these words help answer your questions :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:39 pm

Welcome aboard, always nice to have more members. :D
[img]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/MG40K/M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver.jpg[/img]