VN M113 Question

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

VN M113 Question

Post by forcerecon85 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 pm

Hey, since I'm still kinda new to the hobby I've missed a lot including the 1:18 M113. What I'm curious to know is if there was a VN 1:18 M113, much like the 1:32 M113A1 or was there only the motorworks M113A2? I've been watching ebay for months but haven't see a VN M113 in 1:18 and now question if one ever existed. Thanks.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:49 pm

There were two versions of the diecast (non-RC) Motorworks 1:18 M113: desert cammo and Vietnam OD green. Both were the same sculpt, which as you noted, represents an M113A2 or A3. They came with the same figures and the same stowage, save that on the Vietnam vehicle, the stowage was a tan color. I do not think the Motorworks M113 was a very common vehicle, seeing only limited distribution at Wal Mart and never going to the small retailers. Personally, I never saw the OD green variant, and only ever found one of the vehicles in the desert cammo (clearanced at $10!)

21c had a prototype of a proper Vietnam M113A1 some years ago at a toy fair, which closely resembled the 32x version, but this was never produced.

Some boardmembers that found the "Vietnam" M113A2 customized them into something more correctly approaching the A1 variant. You could potentially find one of the more recent RC versions on ebay, take off the stowage and external fuel tanks, and repaint it to look like a Vietnam-era vehicle.

The Motorworks non-RC M113 was a very nice vehicle, save for the crew figures and funky-looking stowage. It has a full interior that can be crammed full of soldiers and gear and the vehicle itself offers lots of customization possibilities.

Hope all this helps :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:29 am

tmanthegreat wrote:

21c had a prototype of a proper Vietnam M113A1 some years ago at a toy fair, which closely resembled the 32x version, but this was never produced.
What you mean is the green prototype with the MG shield on top? I think this version was really beautiful. It's a shame that 21st never released it. :(
Now, with the platoon and new vietnam era figures, it would be the perfect timing for a new M113 version. But it seems vietnam era vehicles and figures aren't that sucessfull.

Thanks for these infos, tmanthegreat! It is helpful for me to. The M 113 is one of a few ground vehicles that I'm still looking for, too. But I don't like the RC versions because I prefer tanks with detailed interior. But the version with detailed interior was only available in desert camo, was'nt it? So it really seems building a custom would be the only choise for me to, because I really loved that MG shield vietnam era prototype.
And again - it is spelled WeHrmacht, guys...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:28 am

MandaloreSC wrote: What you mean is the green prototype with the MG shield on top?

But the version with detailed interior was only available in desert camo, was'nt it?
The M113 with the shield was the prototype and never released. The M113s with detailed interiors were the Motorworks versions. They were diecast and came with figures, attached stowage, and represent a later model of the M113 not used in Vietnam. As I stated above, there was a Motorworks M113 in desert cammo and one in a solid green paint scheme that approximated a Vietnam era vehicle, though it was inaccurate as the vehicle was a later M113A2.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."