How organized is your collection?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

Barcoded inventory system stored on 240GB External HD
2%
Displayed and stored neatly marked so I know what I have
46%
I have two Shermans mixed in with my Hello Kitty stuff
17%
I often buy stuff I already have because I rely on memory
10%
XD hanging in bathroom, tanks in garage next to weedeater
24%

Total votes: 41

olifant
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by olifant » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:33 pm

Since there is silence from the MFGs, how about we talk about the toys we already have? What is the state of your collection? I started off extremely organized, but it has now turned into a huge loose collection with loose AC in the rafters in the garage, tubs of loose figures and all different MIB AC, AFVs and ships packaged into boxes with no rhyme or reason. Scales and subjects mixed. They are stashed all over the house so Ms. 'Fant can't keep tabs on the entire stash. :wink: Someday I will get this organized.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:15 pm

I have a mixture of both the organized and disorganized. Some items are on display, some are stored in boxes, others are stored in cabinets. On official display, I have seven 1:18 aircraft, three 1:18 tanks, fourteen 1:32 planes, eleven 1:32 tanks, twenty 1:72 planes, eight 1:72 tanks, and thirteen 1:144 aircraft. This is only part of my overall collection with several more aircraft and tanks from the 1:18 and 1:32 scales stored in a large cabinet in my room, with other items stored either whole or dismantled in boxes in my closet. In my attic, I have twelve 1:18 planes on hanging storage display and another four sitting on boxes, while the rest are packed in their original packaging. I also have a few boxes containing 1:32 and 1:18 tanks and figures. Things are getting quite full and its amazing how many creative ways one can devise to store these things. My dream would be to have a room in a house where I could display nearly everything at once 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

storage

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:03 am

out of control, too many duplicates, like 16 IJ vehicles while waiting for 21st to come back on line.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:05 am

everything is on display in basement, boxes in seperate room- I am constantly on the lookout for bookcase like pieces and old pegboard to use. Garage sales are great for finding storage pieces of one sort or another, I prefer wood as opposed to plastic and metal shelving- I like the spartan look; if money was no object, it would of course, look like a museum of modern art.

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:22 am

I have no idea what this "organized" word you use actually means. :?

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:06 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I thought this question could come up one day.
I have been banned to the out side shed. No planes or tanks on display except a few shelves in the shed. Mrs. Spike allows me 3 days to play with my stuff when it comes in. After that out it goes. :evil:
The shed is 16' x 25' with an attic that you can stand up in. Soooo... packed with XD that you can barley throw a tennis ball in. The storage shelves in the lower part are filled with XD as well. I have AC up in the attic and on the first floor. To keep it regulated in our 90 degree heat with 100% humidity. Projects are stacked on top of each other.
My work space is about a 6'x6' area in the middle.
Oh the humanity. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:15 am

Most of my collection is still boxed in the garage cabinets. :D

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

My Collection ????!!?!?

Post by General Blasto » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:41 am

Depends on which part of my collection you refer to :?
All my tanks and vehicles are neatly lined up on the bedroom shelves -But Mrs. Blasto about ready to put me in front of the firing squad if I don't move them soon out of the bedroom :shock: But my dio table is a disaster, just covered with figures, new S4 Panthers and all sorts of stuff :roll: Figures - Well, they're mostly seperated, be need reorginization and to be formed into seperate divisions, squads, etc. :oops: It's kinda hard to keep the increasing number of recruits in line to the 1000+ member Armies :twisted: But someday, I'll get it all done, maybe :lol: :lol: :lol: Still have to put up shelves for at least the German tanks in the office. It's on the list :wink: 8) Da General

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:30 am

Displayed neatly?, in my home office. After reading this I started counting and came up with:

Office:
1/6 - vehicles - 45 (including artillery)
1/6 - figures on display - 64 and one Gerry horse
1/6 boxed figures - 18 & one Cossack horse

1/18 - 40 vehicles and three planes
1/18 planes and vehicles and figs in boxes - 10

1/16 - vehicles - 4

1/32 - vehicles - 11

In my garage:
1/6 - vehicles 9 intact or kits
1/6 - helo - 1
1/32 - planes - 4 in a moving box buried in the garage, haven't been seen since my move.

I have been working on an inventory list, should be finished next month to number everything with details as to what it is, what it cost me, where I got it, what I feel it should be worth.

This inventory is for my family to determine what is worth some money and what can be given away for a few bucks, should my sons kill me tearing though the Pinelands, like yesterday, as a Fathers Day present. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:26 am

all items in storage are catalogued. All items on display are covered in a one inch layer of dust. No xd in the bathroom (yet) but everywhere else. Worried about the effects of long term humidity in the bathroom....and the low ceiling means i'd be bashing into them everytime i dry myself after a shower.

The thing i like about the bathroom though is that it's the only room in my place that i can get dark.....i mean pitch black. Even at night so much city light leaks into my home that it's not possible to acheive total darkness; except for the bathroom. I thought it would be cool to hang a nightfighter in there and illuminate it with a tiny flashlight. But see problems listed above..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:09 pm

I have a grandson on the way and have been trying to convince my daughter that the best way to decorate the baby's room is with XD aircraft. I thought it would take care of the loose planes I can't display and get the little feller off to a good start. I was almost surprised when she gently said no... :?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

Post by forcerecon85 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:23 pm

In comparison I have a lot less. My bedroom is a step back into 1969 in South Vietnam. My bookshelf has 1:72 Jolly Roger aircraft, Corgi medevac and m113 ambulance and Vietnam era 1:144 aircraft scattered. All my XD vietnam items are sorted into ammo boxes and occasionally I switch up the scene I have set up with my XD VN guys. Luckily I don't have a lot to spend on the hobby or else I'm sure I'd take all the VN guys on your local TRU and WallyMart pegs :D

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 pm

Living room: 1/18 armor and figures on shelves, aircraft hanging from the ceiling, plus the 1/6 Jin-Roh and Cy Girl figure collections in their curio cabinets
Bedroom: 1/18 aircraft hanging from the ceiling, and 1/6 Star Wars figures on shelves
Upstairs: 1/18 armor and figures on shelves, aircraft hanging from the ceiling, plus a shelf of 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft and armor
Work office: 1/18 armor and figures on shelves, aircraft hanging from the ceiling

Pretty well organized, I guess, but I don't keep inventory per se. And with the current extended drought, I am not exactly worried about running out of space anytime soon--I may even try to consolidate my 1/18 collection to a single room upstairs. As much as I hate to say it, the thrill is kind of fading, between a lack of anything new and the lack of spare funds after filling the gas tank.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:28 pm

I've got one room that acts as my 1/18, 1/32 and 1/48 room. I also have my militaria displayed. The closet holds two planes I don't have room for in the room, and everything has sections. Shelves of 1/32 armor, a desk with 2 Me-262s, and an F-4, and a wall with 32x. The computer desk is topped off with 32x as well. My 1/18 planes are under the window sill on TV trays, and I have room to work with. There's some minor stuff I don't need to mention. Most of you have seen pictures. :D
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 pm

My stuff occupies three different attics in the house, two large buildings outside, a 10x15 storage unit off property, and the man cave (garage). I only have one plane in the baby's room (F-104). No other XD in the house. Although I might know I have something, I never have any idea how many of them there are because they are in multiple locations.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:15 pm

It was good to see that many of you are in the same boat with stuff stashed here and there. At my previous house I had alot of items displayed in one room and my garage. I don't have as much display space in my new house but I have made the best use of the moderate sized closet that I could. Otherwise alot of my collection is in my barn getting dusty. At least I can see most of it when I want to. If there was a way to cut down on the dust I would display loose planes from the barn rafters but at this point I am using what was the tack room and a horse stall to keep my things. I have high hopes about building a seperate mancave that I could display much more in.
T

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

Where is my stuff

Post by dcmacharlie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:26 pm

I am lucky enough to have all my 1/18 airplanes (14) and one Abrams tank and troop carrier, that started all this madness, along with my 1/32 F-4, even though I said I would not buy anything other then 1/18, in one of the bedrooms of the house, she lets me use that room for what ever I like as long as when company comes over I move it enough for them to have a place to sleep, and I have a F-18 on the way thanks to one of our members (Olifant ), can not wait to add it next to the F-16 and the F-4 :D :hornet:

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:24 pm

I wish I could get some wall decorations for my military room. I've got some profiles on the wall and stuff, a couple propaganda posters, a few postcards and BDUs, but it's not the same as say, a giant SS recruiting poster. My 8.5 x 11 one isn't cutting it. I do want to build more Tamiya kits, the boxes themselves make excellent decoration. I really wish I could streamline this room, all of this make-shift shelving isn't doing it for me.

The desk behind me doesn't need to be used for planes. Everytime I need to draw/plan/draft I have to move my perfectly aligned planes. The dust bothers me as well, I need to go buy some air cans.

There's some bookshelves behind me that I want to use but right now they hold all of my dad's baseball card binders, and I have nowhere to move them to. Frustration.

I know you guys know the problem when you have ideas for stuff, and you can't, because of room issues... Yup.

Except most of you are married and have it much worse. I at least have the excuse of "it's a hobby" or "at least I'm not spending it on drugs" which always work. :D
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Give me a call when you want to build in that barn Todd.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

kevrut

Post by kevrut » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:07 pm

I've got planes hanging in the living room, both bedrooms, and basement.

My loose armor are on shelves in the basement. (Or on a flatcar. 8) )

Bathroom is full of 4" BRATZ. (Not mine.)

When I bought my diningroom table a few years ago I kept the boxes that the chairs came in. Two chairs per box. I can fit 10 unopened planes snuggly in each box. I listed on the top of each box which planes are in it. I don't have to dig through each one to find what I'm looking for.

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:58 pm

We had a plumbing disaster shortly after we moved into our new place. One half of the basement was refinished as the family room. The other half is unfinished with floor to ceiling shelves all down the long wall (30 foot). It is all XD and I am about out of room.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:26 pm

kevrut wrote:
Bathroom is full of 4" BRATZ. (Not mine.)
No shame in that. ;)