Avenger

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Avenger

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:09 pm

Greetings

Came home from an airshow weekend and found a 1/18 Atlantic Scheme Avenger for me that I bought from boardmember Gunslinger. I opened her up and here is what I have to say.

The size of this airplane in incredible. It has very nice details. I especially like the engine, folding wings and the torpedo in the torpedo bay. The removable gun turret is nice and all three members of the crew fit infor me with no problems.

Good strong landing gear. I like the color scheme as well. Not often you see anything in the Atlantic scheme.

Just a really neat aircraft I am glad I added to my collection. Probably 21's best effort in terms of a scale aircraft with good details in my opinion.

Just a pretty cool all around aircraft.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Sun May 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Well I will agree that is is a large model, but all three that I have had problems. This is far from 21st Century's best effort.
Darren

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun May 25, 2008 6:23 pm

but all three that I have had problems.
Is this the "wing sag" problem I've heard so much about...?? I have a MIB that I got from WM last year (the grey one) and I'm thinking about putting it up on ebay before too long, like you said...it's huge, and I just don't have the space to display that sucker.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Sun May 25, 2008 6:26 pm

The wing sag was the least of the problems. Lets review the problems one model had right out of the box. All three prop blades were lose. The cowl fell off. The antenna had so much glue at its base that the canopy sides could not be slid open. The flaps on both wings fell off. Need I go on................ :(
Darren

MG-42

* Avenger Problems ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sun May 25, 2008 6:52 pm

* Glad I never bought one. ... "Some guys won't have it unless you practically , gave it away , but I'm happy for those who are satisfied w/ it though".

v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

tmanthegreat

Re: Avenger

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun May 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:Just a really neat aircraft I am glad I added to my collection. Probably 21's best effort in terms of a scale aircraft with good details in my opinion.

Just a pretty cool all around aircraft.
I will agree that it is pretty cool aircraft - certainly one of the most detailed and functional 1:18 planes in existence at the moment 8) I have an example of all three schemes, and it is one plane that 21c chose good paintjobs for all around. Still, I think 21c could have greatly upped the quality control with the plane. There were so many I saw that had various problems, especially with the wings and canopies. The wings could have certainly recieved a better design. While I appreciate the fact that 21c tried to get the folding mechanism to work like the real thing, I would have been OK with something that would provide greater support, even if slightly less accurate. Still, it is one of my favorites in 1:18 :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

olifant

Post by olifant » Sun May 25, 2008 8:10 pm

I really like my Avenger, but I did get to cherry pick it out of an entire pallet on sale a few years ago.

It is large but I think it takes up less airspace than the P-38. And it looks good with the Hellcat and Corsair making a naval air trifecta. Now I just need my preorder filled for the AT Dauntless. :wink:

I would like someday to pick up both the Avenger and Corsair in the Bunker Hill scheme. I think that duo would look awfully sharp.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Sun May 25, 2008 9:47 pm

I remember seeing my friend's dad's Atlantic Avenger in person, my dear God, I wanted to take it home... such a beautiful plane. I wish I would have seen them in stores. :( I think the 1:18 Navy birds are so beautiful. I hope by the time I get a job secured they aren't too expensive. I really think that is what got my true start into 21st. I had bought a couple of 1:32 Stukas, because I always liked them, the price caught me and they were pre-built... a dream.

But seeing that gigantic Avenger with all these bells and whistles, I had to have every plane I laid eyes on... At that time I swore no 1:18, but now, with so many navy birds and jets, I can't hold back... Just wait 'till I get money.

This is an amazing bird, I can look past almost any flaw besides paint, missing parts, and broken gear on 1:18.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Mon May 26, 2008 6:04 pm

I bought one when they first came out at WM. I have been happy with it and even bought the Bunker Hill to go with the Corsair. I kick myself for not buying more when WM dumped about 8 for $25.00 each.

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Mon May 26, 2008 6:27 pm

Im overall happy with my atlantic avenger. When i got it out of the box nothing was wrong with it and everything worked just fine. I do enjoy that it is a very large plane but i do admit that it does take up a full corner of the ceiling in my room 8)
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue May 27, 2008 6:37 pm

i love my atlantic scheme - I have it hanging in my son's room making a run for his bed -
no problems - wings don't sag, figures fit great, wings fold well - IMHP best effort on 21st part - I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to make - for its size - simply awesome - glad I found her for under $19.00 :roll:
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:09 pm

I still haven't removed mine from the box ever since I bought it sometime ago. It stores better in the box. :)

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Fri May 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Very awesome plane for its size.

peeeeeeewwwwwwwwww bbbboookkkksssshhhh