P-38 over $200

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
digger
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Yes

Post by digger » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:45 am

It was of limited release and was inaccurate so it did not see the same numbers as other planes. There is an entire thread on this from about a week or two ago. It's good to see it's only 2 people bidding that high as it's crazy for a plane that was crappy to begin with. The only reason to go crazy for it is based on the fact that it was WRONG, which is the antithesis of our pursuit of accuracy, detail. etc....

While the plane is "collectable," it is for all the wrong reasons.
It's not even a cool scheme. When it was available nobody wanted it b/c it was lousy. Now that it's accepted as lousy everyone wants one? :? :roll:
...at least the Spinach 109 (which is also inaccurate if I remember correctly) is a nice scheme....

wm69
Corporal
Corporal

Post by wm69 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:40 pm

I got mine for $39 from Small Blue Planet, opened it and promptly snapped off the front gear. I drilled the landing gear and glued a pin in so it works fine and looks ok as long as you don't look up at the very top of the gear up in the plane. I would rather have ANY version than the shark, but I didn't know it was such a bland (good description) paint scheme until I opened it. If I hadn't broken mine it would be on ebay right now at that price. I planned on getting more than 1 p38 and couldn't pass on it for $39, but the thing is so big I just don't have room for more than one. IMO it shouldn't be worth what any of the other P38's with better paint schemes are.

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:55 pm

I wonder if that plane is the final one to complete the high bidder's collection. I just can't see spending $207 on any one plane no matter how much I like it. Especially since you could buy four or five planes with that kind of money. Just my 2 cents.

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:33 am

pokeyjtc wrote:I wonder if that plane is the final one to complete the high bidder's collection. I just can't see spending $207 on any one plane no matter how much I like it. Especially since you could buy four or five planes with that kind of money. Just my 2 cents.
Having reached that high, I think you're on the mark with that one. Probably someone who wants to complete a P38 or 1:18 aircraft stash and with this one being the truly limited version and not necessarily even the nicest or accurate for that matter, will finish off said collection. Although, it could just be someone who stumbled across it, not really being familiar with the line and what is and what isn't available? I've had several items that were auctioned off for unbelievable prices over the years, and I chalk it up to persons just not truly knowing availability and fair market value.

wm69
Corporal
Corporal

Post by wm69 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:20 am

yeah, or sometimes people get carried away and get the "he's not gonna beat me" idea in their head and WAY overpay for something.