1:18 Sahara Stuff?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jeff Cope
Corporal
Corporal

1:18 Sahara Stuff?

Post by Jeff Cope » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Does anyone know when and where the 1:18 Sahara stuff is gonna be released?

Saw the movie last night with my wife and her sister, and we all loved it. It's over the top and certainly not to be taken too seriously, but it was fun.

Now, I want the figures. But, info on these has been pretty sparse.

Jeff

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:41 pm

Jeff:
Now that you saw the movie can you tell us:

1 - The 21c Jeep (in pictures) seems to be the flat hood Jeep with a mounted mg and the scenes I've seen on TV seem to show a much more modern Jeep with no mounted gun. Which is correct for the movie??

2 - A M-48 is being released. Is that tank an important part of the movie? or just in a scene or two?

Guess I'm trying to pick the fly sh-t out of the pepper, but I'm just wondering.

According to reviews, it's a very good movie. Can't wait.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Jeff Cope
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jeff Cope » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:56 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Jeff:
Now that you saw the movie can you tell us:

1 - The 21c Jeep (in pictures) seems to be the flat hood Jeep with a mounted mg and the scenes I've seen on TV seem to show a much more modern Jeep with no mounted gun. Which is correct for the movie??

2 - A M-48 is being released. Is that tank an important part of the movie? or just in a scene or two?

Guess I'm trying to pick the fly sh-t out of the pepper, but I'm just wondering.

According to reviews, it's a very good movie. Can't wait.

TTT
I wish I could help you more, but I'm not up on vehicles (I'm a figure guy, m'self).

There are tanks in the movie that play a role (but not a large one) in the climatic battle sequence.

Any jeeps shown didn't play a large role. But, there's a commercial airing now for Jeep spotlighting a modern Jeep, I believe.

There's a copter that plays a large role in the climax, a Huey I think.

There's a hi-tech boat the Dirk/Al have that is pretty prominent in the film, but no toy of that. Of course, figures aside, it seems that 21st is recycling vehicle molds.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Jeff

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:02 pm

My wife and I saw Sahara Friday night. The helicopter in the movie is a Huey but with different armament than the 21st version. The one in the movie has miniguns in addition to rockets. Paint scheme is the same though. The M113 and what I believe is the M48 (or maybe a M60) is in the movie. Both play a big part in the closing conflict of the movie. Both have the same paint scheme as the 21st versions. The jeep is the only 21st item that is not accurate. The jeep in the movie is a more modern Jeep. The Sahara version to be precise. It has no mounted weaponry. The movie is great and worth seeing.

Hope this helps you out.

Helo Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Sahara....

Post by Helo Driver » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:15 pm

It seems like 21st century toys does a really poor job in releasing licensed movie toys in conjunction with the films release. I mean Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow came out last year...and the DVD release has come and gone...and I have yet to see those P-40's anywhere. Maybe we'll see the Sahara toys in 2008....

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:18 pm

OK guys, let me get this straight.

Sky Captain tie-in stuff to be released as soon as the movie moves to Turner Classis on TV.

Sahara tie-ins to come out in 2008. Probably about the same time as my pre-ordered Avenger. Just before the A-10 Warthog. And just before the King Tiger in 1/18 AND in 1/6 and the White Scout Car re-release in 1/6.

And all this right after the 53rd release of the latest Patton tie-in. 8)

They sure are lucky I love 21c, or else I'd be ticked.

It's all clear now.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:47 pm

I like your sense of hunor! Looks like 21st Century need a little help in this area.
Todd

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:24 am

DocTodd wrote:I like your sense of hunor! Looks like 21st Century need a little help in this area.
Todd
I think thats an understatement! :lol:

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Licensed Properties

Post by lightning2000 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:59 am

Hi,
That's part of the problem with carrying licensed tie-in products. If you can't get the product out at the same time as the movie's release, then its almost pointless to carry the product. Lucas and Kenner/Hasbro have gone just the opposite way with the Star Wars franchise. They release product ahead of the movie's launch, which helps to build sales momentum and drives additional traffic to the movie theaters.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:55 am

I'm sure 21c knows all this and would love to get product out at or prior to movie releases......and one day they probably will be able to.

But for now they are still understaffed and overworked and doing the best they can, i'm sure.

I'm glad to hear Sahara's not the bomb i thought it was going to be. Should help sales a lot and 21c needs profitability these days.

Johnny Reb
Private First Class
Private First Class

21st Century Site

Post by Johnny Reb » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:58 pm

Accessed 21st site today, so it's up..... Johnny Reb

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:55 pm

The M48's in the movie are M48A5's with the 105mm gun. The M113's look to be M113 A1 OR A2. They don't have the fuel tanks on the rear as the 21st Century do. The tanks in the book(AMX30's) played more of a role then the tanks in the movie do.