How about an AAV7-A1?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

How about an AAV7-A1?

Post by USCGSARdog » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:32 am

I have always wanted an AAV7-A1 in 1/18 scale but rarely even hear of it come up in conversation, if ever. Are they just not popular enough to justify the expense? I could see bbi possibly doing this one to tie in with the M1, HUMVEE, and LAV. I would think the AAV7 would be far more popular than the LAV. I would rather see 21C do one but I would take what I could get. I mean after all, I'm not that picky! :roll: :lol:

Anyone else in XD land care for an AAV7-A1?

-Rob

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

Yea

Post by digger » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:41 am

Of Course :D
One thing is that it's big - and bbi already got burned trying to do the M1, which whether we like it or not is more popular than any AAV but still couldn't sell because it was just a hunk of plastic. I'd love it if they tried though :wink:
One thing that would be awesome with any new modern armor would be a whole bunch of removable gear/stowage like the bbi M4. Not gear that leaves holes in the piece, but is actually meant to be removed.

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:10 am

Must admit l would like one :D

Had originally thought of getting 2 GI JOE WartHogs (drastically underscaled AAV-7) & making one close to the right length.

Though currently consentrating on doing British first & then once done & If no one else has done it,may still do this.

Though would be nice to see a guy from the US do one first ;) That`s the easier option till BBI or whoever actually make them.

SB

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:29 am

That is probably my number one most desired piece of modern armour. I could see BBI making one sometime.

I checked out the GI JOE WartHog.....not good. :shock:

Big Duke 6
Sergeant
Sergeant

YATYAS

Post by Big Duke 6 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:36 am

Right there with you ! That would be an awesome piece. I picked up the FOV 1/32 tractor while waiting. From reviews over in 1/32 forum by a hands on associate of mine, it is dead on when compared to full scale.

Check out the link on this R/C version

http://www.interdacom.ru/~tanks/

Regards, BD6

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:42 am

I liked the GI Joe Warthog, as its one of the few Joe armor pieces in which had a full interior. The missiles were oversized and dorky, but its crew stations were cool, and while the passenger compartment is a little odd, you can still cram 8-10 armed figures in there!

A 1:18 AAVP would be very cool, and has lots of play potential if done right. The whole opening deck, rear ramp, and large crew compartment would be excellent. BBI needs a modern transport that can hold more than 4 figures. 21c has done it with the M-113, so BBI should go after the AAVP. Plus - you could design it to float!

fredricchio
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fredricchio » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:08 am

I'd love to see it get done as well, it would definitely be my next pick for modern armor, along with an MLRS and Paladin.

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:18 am

along with an MLRS and Paladin.
I would go along with that. An MLRS is based on the Bradley chassis, right? Seems like 21C ought to do that one...

Is anything based on the M1 chassis?

I'd like to see some LAV varients, like a PIVAD or a TOW launcher, but I won't hold my breath.

Another good one would be the new Stryker vehicle, but I ain't holding my breath on that one either.

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:33 am

I'd be willing to bet we'll see an Amtrack from BBi in the next year or so, as they seem fixated on Marine Corps based Armor/Softskins.

In regards to Gunners question, correct....the MLRS is based on the Bradley chasis. Perhaps BBi or 21st will go off the "beaten path" of familiar armor/vehicles and do a Marine Corps HMARS, a wheeled version of the MLRS that the Corps uses.

As far as the M1 chasis, only real platforms based/loosely based are recovery vehicle (still in test stages I believe) and a mine clearing version (Panther) also not on line as of yet I believe.

fredricchio
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fredricchio » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:31 pm

Hmm, I was actually thinking of the MLRS seen here: FAS

While they do mention it being a "derivative of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle", I don't see the resemblance :?: Just looks like a rocket launcher mounted on a flatbed to me.

I'd still like to see bbi tackle the M2, though, maybe in a different configuration than the XD version. Also, maybe an M60 Patton as well.

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:03 am

I agree, a MLRS would be a must have. As for the similarities between the M2 and the MLRS, they both use pretty much the same running gear and chassis set up. Thats about it.

I would hope that if bbi does a Bradley that they would replicate the M3A1 or M3A2 variants....... a little more modern and more widely used than the M2.

-Rob

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:46 am

As for the similarities between the M2 and the MLRS, they both use pretty much the same running gear and chassis set up. Thats about it.
Exactly.

Since that's a fairly complex set of molds, my thought would be that the MLRS would be a natural for 21C to do, since they already have the Bradley hull done and paid for.

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing BBI do one, I just think it's a lower probability, since they would have to do the whole thing from the ground up. Of course, once they DID the lower hull, then it opens up that whole line of vehicles...