"All quite on the Western front".....

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

"All quite on the Western front".....

Post by 75th Ranger » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:19 am

Hello guys,
It seems like the toy companies are saving all their new products to themselves....because the products are hardly showing at the stores...
what is happening?....nothing new seems to be out...
my wallet is itching to buy some more military toys and i'm eager to get them but where at they at?
does anyone knows?....
let me know,
HOOAH!

immeww2
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by immeww2 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:32 am

Read the "Tumbleweed" post for more comments on the dry spell.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:16 pm

Eh, you guys are really spoiled!! Plastic fasting is good for the soul, you know!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:41 am

I don't know about the other mfg'rs but 21c is in serious trouble with Wallieworld as their only retail distributor. As had been discussed WW sucks as a distributor and 21C hurts.

We have beat this to death but we are like the preacher preaching to the choir, we all know the problem but 21C still suffers. And we are left beating the bushes looking for 21C.

I get a tip from a friend about an old, very messy TRU in my extended area (their are a few) and it's like a treasure hunt, looking on every shelf. It's amazing what is around in TRU when you look, dusty, beat up and of course on the top shelves. Don't bother with a new, nice clean store but the old stores have treasures.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:46 am

A little off topic, but does anyone have the SKU for the yellow nose stuka? Thanks.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:08 am

I think the old saying of "the calm before the storm" will be in full effect in the coming weeks. I know the F-104 is still on track also the Avenger. I also think that we will see the S-2 & S-3 Bf-109 G's before summer is in full swing. Not to mention the Movie products like Sahara, & Sky Captain. I am going to dig up some good intel while at the Sahara screening in Vegas. So look for more news in the next 2 weeks!

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:00 am

tko:
Thanks for the news.
We are all for you. Keep us the good work and THINK vehicles, just keep thinking VEHICLES.
Paint 'em pink, we'll buy it, add flowers to the tanks, we'll buy it. 1/18 or 1/6, we'll buy it. We're easy.

TTT

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:16 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:I don't know about the other mfg'rs but 21c is in serious trouble with Wallieworld as their only retail distributor. As had been discussed WW sucks as a distributor and 21C hurts.

We have beat this to death but we are like the preacher preaching to the choir, we all know the problem but 21C still suffers. And we are left beating the bushes looking for 21C.

I get a tip from a friend about an old, very messy TRU in my extended area (their are a few) and it's like a treasure hunt, looking on every shelf. It's amazing what is around in TRU when you look, dusty, beat up and of course on the top shelves. Don't bother with a new, nice clean store but the old stores have treasures.

TTT
I'd have to disagree with the WM statement. 21st has done a hell of a lot better now than it ever did with TRU, which it no longer supplies. With WM and on-line retailers, 21st is in great shape, IMHO. They have their outlets....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

digger

Distribution

Post by digger » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:30 pm

I think online retailers and their relationship with 21st has improved in the last year or so and that has been a huge boost to distribution. Think about when you couldn't find a Winter Stuka at TRU - that was it, you were SOOL. Now, if it's not at the online retailers it's at WM, which means somewhere out there in Wallyworld the stuff gets discounted, and in turn ebay is an affordable way to buy 21st Century, when it wasn't before.
However, let's not get ahead of ourselves with how great the distribution is. First of all there are barely any WM in urban areas (none in NYC - not one). Second no WM ever had everything. Ever. Some had this, others that, but unless you had a computer or a van you couldn't collect 21st from WM alone, when you could from tru. So, while overall it's easier/cheaper to get 21st stuff these days, I don't think WM distribution is much better than tru's by any means....

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:35 pm

I couldn't agree more: distribution at WM is THE achilles heel of XD, without a doubt...........

-Ski

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:18 pm

And the fact store managers treat XD as a bastard step-child. Even if they got everything, the don't allocate shelf space. It takes me 10 min to go through a toy department to see all the places they may stash XD stuff.

fredricchio
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fredricchio » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:55 pm

Very true. In fact most of the time I can only find them in overstock. Seems like they're only brought down to fill gaping holes on the shelf, or when its time to clearance them (because they're not selling because no one can even see them :roll: )

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:57 pm

Even though it may be difficult to find XD stuff at WM, I think it is more satisfying to actually find something you really didn't expect to find which makes shopping for the XD stuff that much more fun. Just my $.02. :D

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:02 pm

I can tell you without a doubt that the WM relationship is a keystone account for 21st. I also would agree with all the above comments on the availability and product placement within the store. Obviously these drawbacks limit the amout of spending that could occur at WM. I think this is the single best way for online retailers to compete and also make money in this game. My impatience has often led me to online businesses and I really have had no bad experiences. I think that over time the WM shelf experience will greatly improve and it will be interesting to see where that will eventually lead. But rest assured the reality is we have never had it better from 21st since WM entered the picture. -Old timers will remember the days of 2 new molds a year with 2 paint schemes each! It was a often times a 6 - 9 month wait for anything new at all. Oh those were dark times. I can't tell you how many times I ran to the store with money in pocket and nothing new to buy!

JimBob55
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

All quiet

Post by JimBob55 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:31 pm

I have been scouting the WM's in my area (mid-Missouri) and all have 21C items (mostly aircraft) fairly easy to find in the "die-cast" aisle. I found the same to be true on a trip to central Ohio recently. Not many boxes, usually about 2-6 per store. All at $39.95 each. Pretty consistent locations and pricing, which I think bodes well for 21C at WM. Although an observation is that I don't think there has been much purchases of these. Repeat trips turn up the same items and the same number. Unless they are restocking consistently. I've seen variants of the FW-190, ME-109, bubbletop P-47, a few of the Air America Hueys and one or two Spitfires.

I also agree with the "joy of the hunt". The reason I keep looking is because of the possiblility of something unexpected showing up.

JimBob

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:32 pm

What I am saying is WM distribution stinks. I am in NYC, yes, no WM at this time. WM is trying for two on my Staten Island, and we want one or two, unlike other sections of NYC, who hate them.

I have four WM's within a half hour drive for me in NJ and I have yet to see any kind of decent grouping of 21C stuff in any of the four stores. A plane here, a plane there, maybe two models in each store. A few 1/18 items, a couple of 1/32, NO 1/6 items, not even a Stuart which is all over the country.

A Feb trip by me to FL found me near a Super WM and at least they had a half dozen 1/18 plane models with maybe 25 planes total. Some 1/32 vehicles.

I still come across 21C items in the old TRU's. It's like a treasure hunt.

I would rather deal with online stores or eBay finds than deal with WM. Once they cut your throat, they turn their backs and leave you twisting in the wind. I don't like doing any business with them.

TTT