Are you serious??

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Are you serious??

Post by Fitzystigertank » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:49 pm

So i'm looking at my 262 night fighter and notice that the nose piece ( the piece that the gun holes are) is a lil loose. so i pull up on it and it comes loose some more. heres the part that makes me laugh. theres a rock in the nose. yes a rock. i know it's there for the weight but it's seriously hilerious. but it looks cool with out it. you can also remove the gun doors. now i got to find a way to loosen the guns to make it a lil more realistic. is this supposed to happen?? i'm going to see if my 262 swollow does this too. i wonder if theres more to this plane than i know.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:57 pm

Was that a pet rock? Did it come with instructions on how to feed it ? Was there a warning about lead paint ? If you put water on it will it grow grass like a Chia pet. Somebody stop me !!! If you ..............
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:57 pm

I took apart a 21st Century 32nd scale ME262 and it had three weights in the nose. I thought that was neat.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:00 pm

That reminds me of when I used to work as a store manager at an appliance chain in Indiana. A couple times, I would get calls from people who had just purchased a GE or Hotpoint washing machine, wondering why it was shaking so bad when it ran.

First question I would ask: "Did you remove the shopping rod?" to which the answer was hopefully yes.

Then I would ask "Did you remove the cement block?" [yes]
"Please put it back in--it's the counterweight for the motor."

I wonder who in the factory in China is assigned to go out in the parking lot to pick up rocks? Is there a template to make sure it's the right size?
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:01 pm

hey pickle i think i saw some gold on it.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Fitzystigertank wrote:hey pickle i think i saw some gold on it.
YESSSS !!!!!!!!!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 pm

pickelhaube wrote:Was that a pet rock? Did it come with instructions on how to feed it ? Was there a warning about lead paint ? If you put water on it will it grow grass like a Chia pet. Somebody stop me !!! If you ..............
I wonder if this was declared to customs when it came into the country. I hate to be a pickler, er, I mean stickler for the law...

:D :D :D :D :D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:32 pm

That's glorious. Extremely cautious about lead, are they? :D
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Hmm, my ME-262 Nightfighter also has a small gap in the fuselage section over the gun ports that needs fixing. Should I pull it off, I wonder if there will be a rock in mine as well :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:24 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Hmm, my ME-262 Nightfighter also has a small gap in the fuselage section over the gun ports that needs fixing. Should I pull it off, I wonder if there will be a rock in mine as well :wink:
Probably, if 21st is using what I think they are, it is cement. We sometimes use a quick drying cement to help with the weight of the aircraft. It is the most cost effective method of putting weight in the nose to hold it down.

Our F-86 has a steal bolt in the front end. But pure steal bolts (needed for the weight they have) cost .80 cents a model!! pretty costly when you add up the numbers of 262 and 86s that 21st produces. That is $8,000 pure 10,000 produced!! manufacturers try to find a way to limit costs and put that money into more detail. I do not blame them one bit.

I like this thread. It is just another example of how expensive these things are to produce. You would be amazed at the cost of production for parts that you never see or take for granted.

Regards,
Jason

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:35 am

ok so after playing with the lead in the nose of my 262 i started finding a way to take the guns out. I did it too. take some time but they all come out and go back in just like they were. try it. just take your time. pretty cool for a dio. remember if it was put together it will come apart.
oh yeah so getting back to the rock in the nose. it's deff a metal covered in some kind of dusty material. and you can see where it has been shaved down to fit right. i didn't put it my mouth either. so i guess it isn't some kind of poison.

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:45 am

Fitzystigertank wrote:i didn't put it my mouth either. so i guess it isn't some kind of poison.
Fitzystigertank,

Do you have a propensity to only put poisons in your mouth!! :lol:

Just kidding

Regards,
Jason

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:57 am

actually that brings back a story when i was lil child. basically i'm not going to go in details but i have drank a blue water and it made my neck swell up like I had pearls around my neck. if you would like to hear the whole story PM me.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Nose Weight?

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 pm

A rock in the nose as a counter weight? Perhaps, in their zest for accuracy they went too far. Remember that the night fighter was a "late" war design. The Germans had been bombed practically into the "stone age" and had to improvise all kinds of quick fixes using readily found materials. Of coarse....I'm kidding....but I remember days not too far gone that I've used other materials for my own quick fixes. So maybe it's not so crazy after all?
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Fitzystigertank wrote:actually that brings back a story when i was lil child. basically i'm not going to go in details but i have drank a blue water and it made my neck swell up like I had pearls around my neck. if you would like to hear the whole story PM me.
You too! We both have come a long way. My wife keeps a close eye on me. :wink:

Sorry, back to the thread...

Regards,
Jason

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:44 pm

This could be a new cost savings measure. Does anyone have a Geiger counter? China might be exporting all their spent uranium in the form of Me-262 nose weights.

:P
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Sounds like a "quick fix" to me :?
Yet I used glued in gravel for some of the G scale train cars for weight. I guess "If they don't see it, they'll never know, right ?!?" Da General

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Nose Weight?

Post by jeffrowse » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:08 am

Folkwulfe wrote:A rock in the nose as a counter weight? Perhaps, in their zest for accuracy they went too far. Remember that the night fighter was a "late" war design. The Germans had been bombed practically into the "stone age" and had to improvise all kinds of quick fixes using readily found materials. Of coarse....I'm kidding....but I remember days not too far gone that I've used other materials for my own quick fixes. So maybe it's not so crazy after all?
There's a reason the Tornado F3's delivered to the RAF were nicknamed "the Blue Circle Express" (and it was nothing to do with the colour scheme); rumor has it that the first batches were delivered without their radar and so relied on that company's bags of cement to keep the weight distribution right... :oops:

"I live in my own little world, but it's alright - everybody here knows me!"

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:42 pm

I don't see what the big deal is as most model kits with a nose wheel instruct the builder to add clay or glue in weights of some sort.

Replace the rock with a weight and make a plaque for your new souvenir from China.

DH