Will ToysRUs sell the 1/18 F-4D Phantom II?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Will ToysRUs sell the 1/18 F-4D Phantom II?

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:47 pm

Since the 41" length of 21st Century's upcoming F-4D (September, the last I heard) is 41", what's the chance of ToysRUs selling it or will it wind up being etailer-only?

Since Wal-Mart dropped the 1/18 planes supposedly because one of the reasons being their big box size, ToysRUs might be hesitant to carry a plane that's twice as long as a 1/18 P-51.

A 41" long plane would be a pain to return to an etailer if it has defects, etc.
Last edited by dragon53 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:03 pm

Never understood, if its true, why WM would be concerned with the box size considering all of those gigantic radio control vehicles which never seem to sell.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:14 pm

i think a better question is: will there ever be a 1/18 F-4D Phantom II?

If there is, i would imagine it will sell at TRU or WM or some big chain, as i can't see 21c proceeding with it without the commitment of a big retailer.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:25 pm

AFERGUSON:

I hope so...it would be near the top of the list of planes I would buy since Admiral has delayed their F-4 and BBI seems to only release repaints of one model, the F-4J. Maybe it's a good sign that Admiral delayed, in part, their F-4 because 21st Century's F-4D is supposedly scheduled for a September release.

I would prefer a 1/32 Steve Ritchie F-4D, but beggars can't be choosers.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:16 pm

I see no reason why TRU (or even Wal Mart for that matter) couldn't sell it. Back in the day, TRU carried the 1:6 scale M2 Bradley, non-RC M-5 Stuart, and Littlebird Helo - all of which came in large boxes. Then there was the GI Joe Defiant and USS Flagg from many years ago. Should the plane ever become a reality, however, I can see the distribution being sporadic, with only certain stores getting the items while others do not.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:59 pm

TRU also carried the BBI 18th scale F-18 Hornet. I remember when they had eight of them there all stacked on top of each other. Ahhhh, the good ole days. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:15 pm

I think the biggest question really is whether or not a 1/18 Phantom will be built, and if so, by whom. IF 21st produces theirs, then I could see it at TRU, as well as smaller hobby shops. If Admiral decides to produce theirs, and I suspect right now it is truly a game who blinks first, then it would be primarily at on-line retailers, small hobby shops, and maybe by then they will be picked up by a large retailer.

I truly don't see the 21st piece being produced UNLESS Admiral produces theirs. And no, I don't want to start that whole "who screwed who" debate from Toyfair 2007. I am just pointing out that neither company has much incentive to produce one right now--if Admiral produces theirs, they promptly lose market share when 21st launches theirs a few months later. And 21st has no real incentive to spend the money to create the tooling and produce the plane if they don't have to, especially with a very large order from a retailer like TRU or WM.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

olifant

Post by olifant » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:44 pm

News Flash: Hope Springs Eternal In WA State

I have faith that we will see a Phantom from 21C this year. I believe they will deliver whether it goes out to TRU/WM or not. How many of us have seen a 262 in either of these stores?

Size is what it is. They did a good job of getting a rather long Starfighter in a standard size box, and BBI has sold fighters through TRU. This plane has curb appeal and recognition that rivals the Mustang, and I am sure that between Vietnam vets and their children there is enough visibility in this era to hold the layman's interest.

I believe in my heart that America loves her veteran's, and soon the last of our WWII vets will be gone. This elevates the Vietnam war as the nation gets it's last chance to celebrate and learn from these warriors. IMHO this is a good time for these AC releases.

Sorry, rant off. :roll:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:02 pm

OLIFANT:

I hope you're right. The F-4 is truly a classic, historic fighter. I think here's a big customer base for a USAF Vietnam-paint F-4...especially since BBI may do only Navy F-4s repaints.

There are a lot of 1/18F-104 Starfighters out there and more 1/32 coming. The F-104 is a nice-looking jet, but exactly what did it do historically?

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:51 pm

I guess that depends on your definition of historic.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:58 pm

TIMBO:

It was the main USAF, Navy and USMC fighter-bomber in the most controversial war in US history and most likely the best fighter-bomber in the world in its time while flying with air forces throughout the world.

On the other hand, the F-104 was a really sleek-looking jet...

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Not to mention it had a bloody history behind it, which makes it quite interesting. Read up on those blasted downward firing ejection seats...

They were implemented in early models because the designers thought a seat ejecting upwards would not clear the tail of the plane. But, in subsequent models the upward firing seats were used, when it was found out it was possible to clear the tail. But I believe several lives were lost because of problems at low altitude, and having to do something rather than nothing, they punched out, but ended up hitting the ground.

I read somewhere of a crude joke in Germany...

To aquire a Starfighter, all you have to do is buy a patch of land and wait.

Yes, cold.

:D

But they are sleek, and beautiful. It also broke numerous records, and to this day still holds one, I believe.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:22 am

dragon53 wrote:It was the main USAF, Navy and USMC fighter-bomber in the most controversial war in US history
Um, isn't that the second most controversial war now?

And why do so many people insist on calling it an American war when soldiers from other nations gave their lives as well??

To keep this on-topic, it's worth remembering that there are a great many Air Forces and Navies who flew the F4, and a few who still do. There aren't many Western aircraft - especially fighters - that had such a large user-base around the world.

On a personal note, I'd rather have a few modern aircraft filling my room than a larger number of WWII warbirds. Things like the Mustang, Thunderblot and Avenger just don't do it for me - the only WWII bird available I'd consider getting is the Spitfire and since the last one I saw was nearly £100/$200, I'd rather save up for the jets when (if) they come out...

I didn't really mean to start any flamewars, so please excuse me while I go look for a fire extinguisher...

Jeff (Rowse. No, not the other one.)

Murphy's Laws of Combat, No.1: "Never forget your weapon was made by the lowest bidder"

digger

f-4

Post by digger » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:51 am

Doubt it will ever get done unless AT does it. It is a very historically significant Jet, not just for VN.

And Jeff, he said US history, not American War.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm

hotrodrock wrote:Never understood, if its true, why WM would be concerned with the box size considering all of those gigantic radio control vehicles which never seem to sell.
And How!
Todd

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Would love to see a whole slew of VN era jets and newer.

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:32 pm

Wild Weasel Thunderchief! Hell yes!

B-52? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M