What are you going to do when THAT day comes?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
KAMIKAZE
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 pm

For years now I have been tunneling under the house making an underground bunker in preparation for the new and improved Kamikaze skunk works. It will be bombproof, wifeproof, and babyproof! :lol:

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:15 pm

:lol: :lol: That's pretty funny!

My 'room' has been a "work in progress" for a few years now. I believe I have everything where it needs to be and painting is the next step.

I think at least a couple of walls are gonna be a camo scheme. :wink: Still working out those details.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:57 pm

I usually sell duplicates of what I have to make room. Also, being selective in what to get also helps. In rearranging my stuff to make room, I often come across items I have kept and don't really need, so those go as well. With this MO in place, I have enough space for quite a few more items.

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:37 pm

vulgarvulture wrote:For years now, I've told myself that I'd stop collecting once a 1:18 Phantom is made. And since it's taking so long for one to be made, I've been able to collect a lot of my favorite planes along the way.
Vulgarvulture,

You are the reason we slowed down on the F-4. We wanted to keep you in the game! :lol:

We have thought about this issue a lot at Admiral Toys. Our answer is to produce fewer production numbers and lower cost as much as possible to our retailers. We have noticed, as have the other manufacturers, a drop in sales for repaints. This really hurts because the repaints is where we make our money. But room is a factor when dealing in 1:18 scale.

So would you all like a factory made aircraft specific wall hanger to get your models on the wall? We have one made that is universal and fits every 1:18 model on the market. It even fit our 1:18 F-4 the last time I was in China. Maybe getting wall space will assist in your space issues?

Regards,
Jason

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:40 pm

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:
vulgarvulture wrote:For years now, I've told myself that I'd stop collecting once a 1:18 Phantom is made. And since it's taking so long for one to be made, I've been able to collect a lot of my favorite planes along the way.
Vulgarvulture,

You are the reason we slowed down on the F-4. We wanted to keep you in the game! :lol:

We have thought about this issue a lot at Admiral Toys. Our answer is to produce fewer production numbers and lower cost as much as possible to our retailers. We have noticed, as have the other manufacturers, a drop in sales for repaints. This really hurts because the repaints is where we make our money. But room is a factor when dealing in 1:18 scale.

So would you all like a factory made aircraft specific wall hanger to get your models on the wall? We have one made that is universal and fits every 1:18 model on the market. It even fit our 1:18 F-4 the last time I was in China. Maybe getting wall space will assist in your space issues?

Regards,
Jason
Great idea! do you have any pics?

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:47 pm

That would be great, and for 1:32 as well. I currently use fishing line and hooks hung on thumbtacks to hold the planes by their tail gear. It's a PAIN to set up, to get everything lined up.

This would be great!
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:03 pm

I just looked through all my files and can only find the CAD file used for tooling. I cannot show that or everyone in the world would know how it was made.

For now we only have plans to make a 1:18 scale version. It would be a little overkill for 1:32. It holds up to 20 pounds and is crystal clear plastic. It adjusts to the wings and you just rest the aircraft on it. No need to put screws to your models.

The kicker is they are not cheap to produce. To get a crystal clear finish that is strong enough to hold a large aircraft, you have to use a very expensive plastic compound call PP, polypropylene (spelling?)

So we are still working on it and you should see something about it during toy fair or soon after. It is a nice design.

Regards,
Jason

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:12 pm

Ha, ha, ha
I can answer no further without pictures :P :twisted:
Grabbing the camara now, brb .............................

Da General

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:13 pm

Ok Capt. now I'll show you Army overload :P :roll:

Now in the 5th & 6th photos, you see figures in the Fancy feast boxes, almost ALL of them are FULL of 1 18th figures. Also every FOV tank box has a tank in them and there is another FOV Tiger I in a red paper box too. Sorry, but all the planes are lost Most new in box in the 3rd BDRM storage room - I don't have a picture at this time, but believe me it is FULL of boxes, mostly train stuff, but there is is about 23 planes in there :shock: Well is this overload or what :lol: :lol: :lol: Da General[/img]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:28 pm

not really an airplane guy, huh G. Blasto..

nice jagdpanther btw. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:49 pm

i guess i should post an answer in the thread i started.

I figure i have 5 more years worth of space, MAX. And at that point i will be ram jam packed. I"ve been thinking for some years of eventually moving into a larger place but i hate moving so much and many of my pieces are pretty large and fragile, not really ideal for long distance movements....so i'm still collating on this problem.

A newer idea i have explored, which probably won't appeal to most but may to some, is to make larger subjects via 'flats' (my namve for them), which are basically good quality illustrations that i have enlarged to 1/18 scale.

I recently made a type IX u-boat this way (gave up on the paper model idea). I took a sideview illustration out of a book i had, enlarge photocopied it in sections to 1/20 scale (1/18 wouldn't have fit on the wall) glued the sections to stiff cardboard backing, cut it out, made some custom depth charges and put it up on the wall, with a sea green backround, the depth charges drifting down around it. Looks pretty cool and only took a couple of weeks start to finish and cost about $30 all totaled.

It's 12 1/2 feet long and about 22 inches high but very narrow, of course, so it essentially took up no extra space since my airplanes hang further out from the wall and my shelves are below where it is hanging. I didn't know if i'd like it or not but i think it looks pretty cool, huge(!), and kinda fun. I may try the same idea with huge bombers (eg a B-52) and a Dora railway gun...it's a way of getting big items into my collection without taking up much otherwise usable space...since my walls are basically bare.

The drawback of course is that they are 2 dimensional and the photocopy is a bit grainy but in low light it looks pretty swish and i figure this is the only way i will ever be able to get scale 'model's of huge subjects in my collection......until i'm super rich and can pay professionals to build models of them for me, that is. :D

MG-42

* When that Day comes ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:54 pm

>>> My Biggest concern ,.. is a FIRE ! * :shock:

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Gesh General Blasto! :shock:

I thought I had alot to dust! :lol: :lol: :lol:

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:48 pm

:shock: General Blasto, I am hearby promoting you to Field Marshal! 8)

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:18 pm

When i do buy a house and if i run out of room.... ill either build a medium sized building next to my house or just raid and take over the neighbors house :lol: Nice collection blasto 8)
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

olifant

Post by olifant » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:55 pm

Jason, I think I have a solution to your money making/repaint dilemma. My suggestion would be to build armor in 1/18. General Blasto will purchase enough to cover developoment costs, everything to the rest of the forum buys is nothing but profit for you! :D

In all seriousness, please do not let the issue of space worry you. We are all a bunch of plastic crack addicts and I can't see anyone here turning down a 1/18 Phantom, A-10, B-25 or any other large AC over such a small issue as room.

I have recently begun collecting 1/18 AC and somehow manage to fit more into the same room, despite each purchase making me think "it's never gonna work." Build them and we will buy. I promise. :wink:

I don't know if you noticed but I really need to get bombed. (Subtle hint)
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Gen Blasto - I like your stuffed animal collection too! :D

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:35 pm

We all need to get bombed...

A Skyraider...

Is what I need.

Pretty please, Jason? Tomorrow? :D
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:31 am

My collection has gotten quite large over the last 4 years or so, especially since I'm an aircraft guy. I've done alot of different things to essentially cram more stuff in the same amount of space.

So far, I've sold off multiples to make room for new releases, reorganized the space in my closet about ten times, hung aircraft on the walls, partially disassembled out of the box planes (You can fit 3 P-51s in the space of one if you take the wings off and stack the wings and fuselages), and gotten rid of furniture. I've also cut back on what I am buying as far as armor and figures are concerned and just concentrating on aircraft.

I'm now at the point of tucking them into other closets in the house and reducing the size of some of my other hobby collections. I have also looked into building a storage building/man cave in my back yard. Gotta sell some stuff to make some money for that.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:23 am

another space saving idea i'm going to try at some point is to display aircraft with one wing off, the non-wing side hanging tight against a wall or other vertical surface. Same could be done on shelves with planes on their undercarriage, leave one wing off and display them in side view.

This way each plane takes up about half as much space and you can simply rotate which planes you display with one wing off and which you display with both wings on.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:40 am

That day will never come! If space becomes an issue I'll do what any museum does, rotate the collection. :wink: