Pegasus Gee Bee Racer

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Pegasus Gee Bee Racer

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:13 pm

I see Bad Cat has the new 18th scale Pegasus Gee Bee racer in stock. I am looking forward to getting one. I hope we see more civilian planes in 18th scale.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

smokey1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by smokey1 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:30 pm

I agree that it would be nice to have more civilian aircraft. For example:

Cessna 172
Beechcraft King Air 200
Baron
Bonanza
Cessna Citation
Piper cub
Lear 45

I think that civilian aircraft would sell very well.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:40 pm

Sorry guys, I am not to hip on civy planes. I think a Wright Flyer would be cool but that is a s far as it goes.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:47 pm

pickelhaube wrote:Sorry guys, I am not to hip on civy planes. I think a Wright Flyer would be cool but that is a s far as it goes.
How about a plane that was a civy and a military .... like a C47 8) I like the Gee bee racer and all but i just dont get hooked on to it as i do on military aircraft. Unless its something like a wright flyer like pickelhaube said :wink: But it would be cool if they had a 1/18 space shuttle like a discovery version or something now that would be awsome 8) :D

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:48 pm

A 1/18th scale space shuttle would be fricken huge! :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:13 pm

Sabrefan wrote:A 1/18th scale space shuttle would be fricken huge! :D
Now that would be cool. How about a Lunar Module Lander as well. It has been so long that I have forgotten what they were called . I know I had some of those paper models of them when I was a kid . It probably would be as big as a 5gal bucket in 1/18 scale . :shock: That would look cool on the desk top. :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:18 pm

I'd love to see a Wedell-Williams 44
"Miss Patterson"

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:19 pm

V2 MAN wrote: How about a plane that was a civy and a military .... like a C47 8)
This would be great. Would also allow them to make a lot more mulah with multiple paint schemes and an appeal to two large audiences.

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:37 pm

grunt1 wrote:
V2 MAN wrote: How about a plane that was a civy and a military .... like a C47 8)
This would be great. Would also allow them to make a lot more mulah with multiple paint schemes and an appeal to two large audiences.
That should be a next priority for 21st century or admiral. 8)

As for a 1/18 space shuttle how about one of them and your very own 1/18 launchpade specifally made for you special space shuttle :wink: :lol:

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:56 pm

I think they should follow up with the V2 rocket with trailer and launch pad....

the only thing hard about the V2 would be the launch pad and the trailer...

the V2 it self would be pretty simple...
whats up doc....

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:37 am

Mine should be coming soon. Hopefully UPS won't smash it like the quad trailer.

Special thanks for BCA to send another one. I still would like to see a little more room in the box for cushioning :D

I think a few civilian and WW1 airplanes to add some variety would be sweet. I like variety! I'm not going to buy 20 P-51D's.

DH

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Saw one that my neighbor received yesterday Different looking, but arrived with one wheel strut rolling around in the box, Just needed to be re-glued back onto the wing assembly. Paint on this model is clean and crisp, the wing tips were covered in plastic wrap to keep ends from scratching. Excellent packaging, somewhat like Admiral's packaging. Minimal use of wire-ties. One thing though, the wire supports you see in all the Racer photos is not on this plane. Holes for wires are there, but must be punched/cut out. Piano wire may work with some delicate bending and stretching and glueing to get them to stay in place. For those agile enough to do that kind of work, that would make it look like it is supposed to be. The box photos shows the Racer with the wire wing/wheel etc., supports. Other than that, its cute, but would have been much better with the wires already there. A nice first try in this scale, which may open the door for other manufacturers to make civilian type early birds in this scale.
Have a nice Christmas to all on the boards.
JOC :D
Last edited by JOC on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:16 pm

Thanks for the review JOC. I already ordered one just because it will be the first civilian 1:18 aircraft in the collection and it is so unique. Looking forward to seeing it for myself.

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:24 pm

Was there any info on cockpit detail? Haven't seen any pictures inside the cockpit.

Regardless, who doesn't dream of being a pilot straping one of these on and taking it for a "spin".

DH

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:16 am

Black_Dragon_One wrote:I think they should follow up with the V2 rocket with trailer and launch pad....

the only thing hard about the V2 would be the launch pad and the trailer...

the V2 it self would be pretty simple...
Now that is do-able and wouldn't think would cost that much to produce. A perfect match for the buzz bomb.
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:57 pm

Only thing is that the V2 would be better than 2 1/2 tall and about 3/4 of a foot around. That is a lot of mass.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:12 pm

Received my Racer today!

The actual packaged box felt awfully light when removing it from shipping box so I was afraid it was going to be a delicate light plastic model. However, after removing the actual plane from the box, it does have some heft to it and feels solid. Paint job looks great, but like JOC said in an earlier post, the small holes for the non-existent wires do detract from the appearance slighty. The cockpit does seem to have an instrument panel but didn't see a seat or control stick (hard to tell due to size of canopy and I didnt want to remove from tray yet.) Overall this is a great looking bird and I hope it sells well so we'll see more great experimental and civilian aircraft from Pegasus. Hats off to Pegasus and thanks to MilitaryToyshop.com for quick delivery! :D

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Received my Racer today!

The actual packaged box felt awfully light when removing it from shipping box so I was afraid it was going to be a delicate light plastic model. However, after removing the actual plane from the box, it does have some heft to it and feels solid. Paint job looks great, but like JOC said in an earlier post, the small holes for the non-existent wires do detract from the appearance slighty. The cockpit does seem to have an instrument panel but didn't see a seat or control stick (hard to tell due to size of canopy and I didnt want to remove from tray yet.) Overall this is a great looking bird and I hope it sells well so we'll see more great experimental and civilian aircraft from Pegasus. Hats off to Pegasus and thanks to MilitaryToyshop.com for quick delivery! :D

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks for the pictures, I am looking forward to mine some time soon I hope!

looks sweet to me!

DH

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:54 pm

They nailed the paint job, very nice. I kinda like the idea of "do it yourself" tension wires. Likely if done at the factory they'd be screwed up by the time they reached our doorsteps. What works the best in my experience is R/C plane pushrods, they come in several different dia.'s and they won't sag over time as easy as basic wire or even piano wire.
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:57 pm

very interesting comparison pic with the hellcat. The Gee Bee almost looks the wrong scale (but i know it isn't) with its little 25 foot span wings compared to the Hellcat's 42 foot span. Even more interesting is to compare the cowls. Both are about the same diameter......a giant engine in that little gee bee. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:58 pm

Well maybe the success of this small plane, being non military will open some big boy's eyes on a new product line.

DH

So who's gonna paint their plane like the one from "The Rocketeer"?

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:02 pm

scbvideoboy wrote:Well maybe the success of this small plane, being non military will open some big boy's eyes on a new product line.

DH

So who's gonna paint their plane like the one from "The Rocketeer"?
Loved that movie! Has been a long time so I'll have to watch it again to see the paint scheme.

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:34 pm

The Gee-Bee R-1 had the Pratt & Whitney R1340 "Wasp" engine. Nine cylinders rated around 800hp.

The R-2 and the Z model had the Pratt & Whitney R985 "Wasp Jr." engine. Nine cylinders rated around 500hp.

The HellCat had the P&W R2800. 18 cylinders rated around 2000 to 2200 hp.

The number after the "R" is the cubic inch displacement of the engine.

Huge :shock: power plant for a small plane.

For a Gee Bee driver it must be like holding on to the motor mount wearing a pair of roller skates.
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!