Question for everyone

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aktiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aktiger » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:49 pm

Thanks for the invitation to express our opinions on Area 21.

I feel it is a great service and would like to see it continued and improved.
I agree with most which has been posted with the addition that it would also be nice if information was available on all releases. As a fan that has slowly migrated to 1/32 (where the activity is) there are a few releases in that scale that have shown up in stores with no prior news and that seem to be exclusive of a retailer. Is there any way to get complete information on releases that are, at least, on the barge?

I would also like to pass along the thoughts of one retailer that I spoke to some time ago regarding some of the releases that have been announced and never produced (at least not yet). It was his feeling that these unrealized product announcements (B-25, F4, etc.) were made to test the waters and get feedback from the retailers. He, in fact, said he was contacted and asked what the response was, to the announcement, from his customer base.

Looking at it from this perspective, I am not opposed to aggressive product announcements if it helps a company decide whether to make the product. I wish there was a better way for us to provide feedback on a product announcement to retailers.

Also, thanks to 21C for the upcoming contest! Will 1/32 be included?

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:44 pm

Affirmative.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:03 pm

olifant wrote:TKO, I see great value in the 21C website. To stand on the shoulders of those before me, I would reitterate the suggestion that we receive regular updates. Firm timelines we know would be hard to meet so how about listing progress to date in the following manner:

- Decision made to produce
- Mold master complete
- Mold in produciton
- Mold in engineering testing
- Scheduled for production
- In production
- On the water

This would help us know where things are in the process. Thanks for taking the time to care and poll us fans.
I would like to add
- Decision made to cancel production or
- item put on hold.
I know the big 3 do not comunicate to each other. This was made clear when Admiral did ther F4 promo and then 21st kicked in there own and now we have nothing. :evil: It would be cool if they did work things out as to what to build next.
The best idea ever would be if the big 3 would put out a questionare. Like we do all of the time on this forum. WHAT WOULD YOU AS COLLECTORS LIKE TO SEE NEXT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If this would be done, can you just imagine. There would be no guessing. Product would be sold companies make money. Everybody will be happy. Story ends with happy ending. Time and time again. :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Hi TKO, I always appreciate your updates on area 21. What I don't understand is why 21st Century puts a project like the B-25 on their website, and then we never hear anything about it. What is up with that? :(
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:56 pm

TKO - Keep up the awesome job - I know you take the time out of your schedule to keep us updated on 21st century items. I appreciate it and always look forward to the news updates! Keep up the great work!!!
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Plane Nuts
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Plane Nuts » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:08 pm

TKO: Here are some of my thoughts, for what it's worth. Ultimately, the goal of a company's web site should be to give information about said company's products. I have always had trouble understanding why some companies have not been able to grasp the concept of the web. Take for instance a mobile phone company that just shows a picture of a phone and then lists the basic information. It's kinda like, what's the point? If I take the time to visit a company to check out a product that I am possibly looking forward to actually purchasing, I want to see-touch-feel the product in a manner that is meaningful rather than being disappointed with a lack of fundamental information and the sentiment that now I have to buy the product in order to finally see if I really wanted it in the first place. Ok, so that's kind of long winded...

Anyway, what I expect from Area 21:
1) News--pretty good actually for a niche product category...Especially since most news is tailored to satisfy a small audience that looks for only "What's Next?"
2) Product information--needs lots of work!! Basically, 21st should realize that it is paramount that someone visiting the site will want to know what is (and has been) available. It is not sufficient to see that there is a Bf-109F-2 in 1:32 scale. What does it look like, what kind of paint schemes are there, what are the features, etc.?

So, to answer your question, I think the site is pointed in the right direction and doing a pretty reasonable job. For a small industry, we can't experience nirvana in Area 21, but the site should still try to serve its fundamental purpose. In relation to the other companies in this market, they are ahead of the game. The measure of a website should be in the number of daily return visits it receives. For me 21st gets a daily look (which is pretty good), while Admiral gets an every couple months visit and does BBi even have a website?

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:41 am

On your behalf, great job!

Being the messenger of a company is not an easy job. Hell, I know what is going on before a bee farts, but I do not tell the world.

I respect people that have an "in" and open their lives to the people that want to know more. It is a very hard job, and I take my hat off to you!

I know that you are regulated by what you can talk about on 21'st website, but you do what you can... great job!

Regards,
Jason

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:57 am

I think it is top notch work! I realize it is a business so there are going to be some delays and cancellations.

The only thing I would suggest is that they possibly look into making more varieties utilizing the same armor chassis (like the M4, Panther, P IV) and possibly release in 1/18th what is also being done in 1/32nd.

Other than that, maybe not release news too soon and wait 'till it's hitting the production line.

I'd trade in all of my 'stuff' for one B-25. No kidding either! :D

Jeff

MG-42

* 21st.C ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:17 am

* How about that "Wittmann 007" Tiger 21st. promised us a year ago , will we ever see it ? * :lol: ... Just curious. * 8)

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Filbert62
Private First Class
Private First Class

Area21 is most certainly needed and appreciated.

Post by Filbert62 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:27 am

I usually lurk through most of the messages on this board looking for Intel. Area-21 is most certainly appreciated and I like knowing 21st Century Toys is at least asking for input. You also never know when the market will open up a little to allow huge items to be created and sold.

Keep on keeping on!

Thanks, Phil
"If it is difficult do it immediately, if it is impossible it may take moment!"
My source - SSGT William E. Gilbert USMC

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:45 am

Hey TKO i agree with everyone else on the job you do. i always look forward to new news on the site when you have something new about 1:18. so a question for you is: where is the 88. I'm looking very forward to it. so keep in touch.

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:49 am

TKO great job! yes love 21st century site info. :D

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:10 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It helps to know that in spite of the shortcomings, there seems to be a concensus that having a preview news area still has value to everyone.

I just had to ask the question because it would save me a lot of time and perhaps even more importantly saved Roy and 21st a little more time to not worry about feeding me photos and other historical tid-bits if people didn't want to see that stuff early.

I am glad we can pretty much all agree that the information is generally good to have. I also appreciated Jason's kind words in understanding the difficultly of being a messenger.

This discussion however, I think has been positive and productive. I spoke with Roy Sutherland last night at length in regards to what else we both might be able to do expand on fan relations. The next contest concept I mentioned earlier will be aimed with this in mind. I think it is fair and safe to say that 21C myself and even other companies will not always please everyone. That said, I can assure you that we all try.

On another note, just to get the heart pumping again... Roy did mention to me that we will see a real sneek peek of the 88 in S1 paint this week. He also mentioned that some new 1:18 figs were in the works, and a few other things that I was told I would find out about soon enough.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Yes!!!

Post by parrish333 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:21 pm

Absolutely valuable. Delays of product release can be frustrating, but that's just how the world works.

If my choice was: 1) hear info early on about product that could be delayed a long time or even cancelled --or--

2) hear no info until a product was already released (let's be honest, that's the only time a company could be 100% sure)

I would have to go with the former; it's nice having the info, and anyone who hasn't learned to expect delays in this hobby should get their head checked :wink:

Admiral does a pretty good job with regular updates too -- they just don't have as much product to report on. And BBIs info is just awful. Not to mention as aferg pointed out awhile back, BBI has made ONE new 1:18 vehicle in the last couple years. So even if a few of 21st's products are delayed, I think they're still way ahead of the game in terms of getting us sweet product and letting us know about it ahead of time when they can.

dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dfoos » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:01 am

Yes, I love when information is let out. I just wish they would not

A. Let information out about products that are not for certain coming out.

and

B. Not let info out too far in advance, because it can turn into A.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:31 am

We definately need Area 21 around!!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:16 am

Teamski wrote:We definately need Area 21 around!!

-Ski
And you, TKO!

Both are GREAT!

(21st century is the entity at fault on LACK OF or BAD information - not you)
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:38 am

DITTO!!

It's great to have a rep available to hear from buyers. :D

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:38 am

Yes! Without you and everyone of the guys on this forum we would have no information!

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:34 pm

Yes!

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:34 am

YES and Ditto :D
Phabulous Phantoms Phorever rule the sky
and Starfighters Rule the Stars

http://WWW.Panda-Hobby.COM

TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TOOL » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:27 am

You and 21st do us a great service....keep it up!

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:58 pm

Definitely yes!!!! Area 21 is a blessing to us collectors, all be it slow at times, it is very beneficial. :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:19 am

Agreed definitely yes!! and you do a great job!

TKO.

Is there going to be another Q&A with Roy soon.
Because you know what Im going to ask! like everyone knows what Im going to ask it what I always ask, All together now is there going to be some WWII 1/18 British troops in 08?

Have a safe and happy new years.
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Yes, area 21 is good. I am thankful for an official news source. I visit that site about once a week looking for new information. You do good work ZS.

I visit SSHQ several times daily. I appreciate that you post here as well. It's like having an insider who can shake the tree for us and see what falls out.

Any news is good news for a 1:18 junkie.

Sincerely,
JL
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!