Golden Compass Figure Review - XD Style

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Jesse James » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:44 pm

Light.Inf.Scout wrote:Here are a couple pics of various Webleys - look pretty close to me.
I own a "modified" (heh) Mk IV Webley, and really felt it looked like it... But that's me. Bare in mind though that the sculptors may take liberties/corner cuts too on the product. They're not likely to care really.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:53 pm

I thought the Golden Compass guys looked bigger than XD based on seeing them in the package. However, in reality:

-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:55 pm

Oh and the head swaps are spot on for any modern Star Wars figures that use the ball/socket type of attachment.

--------------

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:34 pm

Yes, I was going to add the golden compass are perfect for swaps with starwars figures
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:03 am

You've made perfect pics, grunt! :D
I'll PM you about the Mauser.
And again - it is spelled WeHrmacht, guys...

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:25 am

do you see the new balloon things from the golden compass... i bet it look great painted up as a WWII spotter balloon. what you guy think.. it is 1:18 scale
whats up doc....

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:20 pm

Just wondering if any of the other Canadians on the board have found any of the Golden Compass figures? I been to Toys 'R'Us, Zellers and Walmart. No one is carrying them. Go figure? I thought this movie was to be one of the big holiday hits?

For those of you that are in need of civilian figure. I also recommend the most recent offering from Harry Potter. The 3 3/4 scale figures from NECA are nicely moulded but have limited articulation. I found some at a local bookstore and picked up a pack that contained Harry, Ron and Hermonie.
It appears that a good number of the other figures are exclusive to England. Not too mention the huge Great Hall playset that appears to be a nice scale....could make a nice church.

One more set of civilians are from Motorhead Miniatures. They have a four pack of "gangsters". One gentleman has a shot gun (probably the best figure of the bunch). There is a another gentleman and woman with a grossly undersized M1928 Thompson SMG. I was thinking of removing the Thompsons and replacing them with handguns (Luger). The last figure is of a flapper. She may be useful for a bordello or cabaret scene.

Cheers

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:19 am

i saw the flying balloon machine from golden compass in TRU in canada....none of the figures yet though.

The balloon machine is pure fantasy.....doesn't look like anything used in WWI that i've ever seen...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:01 am

I'm not sure why Canada is not seeing the GC figures :?
If not held up in customs, then perhaps Evil bay horders/sellers in your area ??? Down here, we are about the last ones to get anything, but I've found most of the figures, still need the Sam Elliot figure and not sure if I want the rest. I do need another guy with the goggles, maybe two more for mod.s and the goggles for my cycle drivers/riders. But am going to make some post WWI Ruskies out of the tarter gaurds and civies out of the rest I think. I too also noted the new starwars type head on these guys and that s**ks, but will over come this. Perhaps I can make some cool officers out of the goggle guy, but we'll have to see ;)

I really need to come up with some good ruskie troops for Stiener and crew to fight :P I think I got a good idea on how to make that "scruffy" guy from Cross of Iron too :) And Capt. Stranski as well ;) What I'm really waiting for is the Indiana Jones figures for some cool troops 8) Herr General

worldwar2buff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by worldwar2buff » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:36 am

Light.Inf.Scout wrote:Well at this point I'd say it is just some gun somebody designed for a figure and not actually modeled off a real one or if it is modeled off a real one - it is so small they can't get it exactly right. Guess well see what pistol whoever uses when the movie is out.
I was just about to post this.

Man, aren't we all just a bit anal about these things??? :lol: We pick try and ID a toy gun from a movie action figure!! :lol:

Please take this in the spirit of fun as it was intended. I do the same as everyone else and find it quite funny that the person who designed the gun for the figure probably didn't care what it looked like as long as it was gun shaped and here we are trying to ID the specific model!! :lol:
Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in other, body thoroughly worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO” what a ride!

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:37 am

I finally stole some time this AM to play with my hobby :)
I've had this idea of using the one GC figure with goggles and swap out his head with a 1 18th GI Joe figure. It's been a challange and I'm still working on him, but here he is as far as I've got on him :shock:

Joesph Stalin :twisted:
I figure before I start making Russians, they'll need a fearless leader :lol: So I thought I'd share this with the group while he's in progress 8) Da General

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:45 am

grunt1,the german figure you made with the coat looks fantastic and very correct,thanks for posting the pictures! 8)

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:59 pm

Grunt,
Did you find these figs @ TRU?
I have not seen these in my local one.
They don't have alll the figs online w/ TRU.
Any other sources?
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks Zelda! :D

And yes Razor, they were at TRU. Haven't seen them anywhere else as of yet. Guessing that since the movie does appear to have met expectations that we'll find these on clearance somewhere at some point.
--------------