POST ALL FOV 1/18 FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:22 pm

USCGSARdog wrote:A M142 HIMARS would be nice too. I think that is another one FOV already produces in 1/32, no?
-Rob
I believe so. Another good choice.

Besides the M270, M142, and the AAVP7, how about an M109? They've got one in the 1/32 line as well. I'd love to add a 1/18 M109 to my armor collection..... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:31 pm

Pittsburgh got the first FOV items in. Got 4 Desert Camo figures, and would like the tanks for that'll wait till after the holidays I suppose. And man oh man do I want that Tiger and Sherman. Bring 'em on FOV!
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:10 am

Jesse James wrote:Pittsburgh got the first FOV items in. Got 4 Desert Camo figures, and would like the tanks for that'll wait till after the holidays I suppose. And man oh man do I want that Tiger and Sherman. Bring 'em on FOV!
I've heard that before....You'd better get them while they are available. After X-Mas is a highly doubtful proposition...

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:46 pm

Well, picked up some more of the reg Army figs today completing all six of them. Now I'll work on the Marines. SEMPER FI!!!! :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:09 pm

Careful, tosborne3! Those FOV figures can be very addictive! Given that they're some of the best regular modern soldiers to date, I've stocked up on a bunch, replacing most of my old BBI figures with the funky articulation and skinny legs. The FOV tank crew figures, are, however, my most favorite from the series and nearly all my modern armor pieces are now crewed by them :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14 pm

I just got one to see how they are.
I will say the detail to the face is the best I have seen.
But mine is having trouble with it's rotorcup in the upper arm.
There are like stuck and the lower arm part pops out when I try to loosen it.

The weapon it came with is okay, but no where near detailed as BBI or 21st C., IMHO.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:26 am

Teamski wrote:
I've heard that before....You'd better get them while they are available. After X-Mas is a highly doubtful proposition...

-Ski
Why's that Ski? In my neck of the woods, BBI stuff came, sold out, came again, sold out, and came back again it seemed... And now it is sitting more. So I wouldn't suspect anything less with the FOV tanks either... Unless this were some "one shot deal" on these, never to be released again. :lol:

The figures seem to be going faster than BBI's though... Price coupled with the fact they're brand new while BBI's were lingering at TRU's before they were at Target are probably the strong reasons on this. FOV stuff I have a strong feeling will be around just like BBI's stuff. It might sell through, but more will be on the way at some point I'd wager.

EDIT: On the weapon detail thing by the way, I was actually thinking they were better than BBI... The scale seemed better on the gear I got with my figures, and little details like the chambers being larger on one side and smaller on the other were there and quite nice to see. I really appreciated that. I haven't found all the figures to compare all the gear just yet though. The helmets were outstanding though as well, far superior to BBI's... 21st's modern guys don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath though. They were pretty horrid I thought. :x
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:31 am

Razor17019 wrote:I just got one to see how they are.
I will say the detail to the face is the best I have seen.
But mine is having trouble with it's rotorcup in the upper arm.
There are like stuck and the lower arm part pops out when I try to loosen it.

The weapon it came with is okay, but no where near detailed as BBI or 21st C., IMHO.
Try holding him in hot water for a few secs. I've used this method to do many fig customs. It will help to soften the plastic temporarily allowing for limb removal. It also has been used by many here to soften those stiff joints without breaking them. :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:15 am

Most of my FOV figures did have the stiff joints, but either with hot water or a bit of force, they all loosened and move fine. The arms are usually a bit widely-spaced when trying to hold the weapons, but that's because they're wearing the body armor and pouches... Still, I think they're great figures!

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:43 pm

While I'm pleased at another entrant into 1/18, I confess my only current interest is in the FOV Tiger Early Production road wheels. Once found, that tank will live only to be a donor. Maybe I'll do a dio with a Tiger up on blocks. :wink:

I am, however, curious to see what FOV brings in the future.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:49 am

Fortunately, I don't think we have any variant hunters around here :wink: . However, I'm noticing the FOV figures showing up on the pegs now have a big red "Target Exclusive" either printed or a sticker on the card.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:33 pm

Morian Miner wrote:However, I'm noticing the FOV figures showing up on the pegs now have a big red "Target Exclusive" either printed or a sticker on the card.
I noticed that too. Makes them sort of special :wink: I get very tempted to get even more of the figures, but with enough for 3 complete sets (never mind the recent acquisitions of the $0.70 BBI figures), I think thats it for my modern army...

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:48 pm

Ok finally picked up a few modern FOV 1:18 figures - and opened one up and the foot broke off and a arm broke off - I hardly touched them - and it isnt where I can push it back in place - the plastic peg is snapped - they seem a bit fragile....

also does the FOV Bradly have the same inside as the BBI one? The crew compartment in the rear of the vehicle is what im talking about? The BBI really only had room for 3 figures.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

digger

fov figs

Post by digger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:03 am

Finally got my hands on a bunch of these guys. I think every time there is a new player on the block we tend to give them more credit than they deserve. Maybe it is because we are so glad they have joined us.

The Good is the camo patterns (close enough), the M4 (although only with 203 is annoying), the little extras and the stands! BBI still refuses to include stands for their figs.

The Great is the subject matter - Regulars. This is what we always wanted, and now we got them. It took the 7th player in the game to give them to us. I think this is why everyone loves these figs, as they should.

The Poor - the gaps in the joints, rubbery texture which makes posing them impossible without a hot water bath, and the silly paint aps on the web gear. Also the pistol/holster combo is weak looking. Shame no company has incorporated even a painted on lanyard.

The Decent - the removable packs (boy they are big! wouldn't want one of those on patrol) and the helmets. Helmets lose points for texture/paint, and the lack of detail like straps or removable NV or goggles.

Overall except for the subject matter I think the bbi guys still hold the crown. The new bbi weapons, the detail on the uniforms, the headsculpts! I think we need to give credit where it is due! However they are just too stupid to get the subject matter right. Their regulars had those dumb harnesses..

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:03 am

STUKA wrote:also does the FOV Bradly have the same inside as the BBI one? The crew compartment in the rear of the vehicle is what im talking about? The BBI really only had room for 3 figures.
Saw your post while reading Digger's review, and thought I'd give an answer. Further, I'm guessing that by the BBI Bradley, you mean the 21c version. BBI has not yet made a Bradley, only the LAV.

As for the FOV Bradley, the detail level in the troop compartment is comparable to the 21c Bradley, but it is different. The interior in the FOV vehicle is more-or-less accurate to the later models of the Bradley where the crew sits on benches along the side walls instead of in chairs. There are spaces for equpment storage and you can see the rounded turret wall at the far end. There are other small details sculpted in as well.

The troop compartment on the FOV Bradley can only hold 3 of the FOV figures, however. I've tried to squeeze in a fourth, but on account of the wide shoulder stance of the figures, the small space of the compartment, as well as the difficulty in making the figures sit straight up (and not at an angle) this is nearly impossible. The troop compartment on the FOV Bradley CAN hold four of the older BBI Modern figures pretty well. Two FOV figures can easily stand in the turret hatcehs, but on the FOV vehicle, the driver's hatch does not open.

The 21c Bradley can also hold 3 of the new FOV figures in the troop compartment, though its a squeeze. The FOV tankers fit just fine in the crew stations, including the driver's compartment and you can close the hatch over the figure.

The new FOV figures also fit well in the BBI LAV. They can also fit in the troop compartment of the 21c M-113, though good luck getting an FOV tanker into the driver's compartment on that vehicle. The FOV figures fit quite well in the BBI Hummers and will fit in the 21c Hummers as well, but its a tight squeeze. I've also put three BBI tanker figures into the BBI Desert Patrol Buggy, where they look perfectly at home :wink:

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:54 pm

Yeah Great review - I still like the BBI figures with the better weapons and - especially the newest batch - The FOV also look great - te only problem I have so far is the leg broke on two of them - the rounded peg or what ever you call it snapped while still inside the shin. - All i was trying to do was bend the leg -

Thanks on the info on the FOV Bradley!! I will get one cant - beat 19.99 - but I want to find a LAV first - there are a few in my area but the guns are bent on both
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:00 pm

Here are some comparison pics I posted a few months back when this thread was started:

Birddog wrote:Here are some comparison shots of 21st's M2 Bradley and FOV's M3 Bradley:

The FOV M3 only has two opening hatches on the turret and the rear compartment ramp folds down. The TOW missile housing on the FOV Bradley is stationary and does not deploy. As mentioned in anoter post, detail on FOV's M3 is lacking in comparison to 21st's. However, I believe it is still a good addition to your collection since they are two different variants. The difference in size seems to be barely noticeable in the height of each. It is still a great piece in my opinion worthy of your $20.

As Aferg has said, hopefully detail will get better if the line grows. Even if it dosen't, I can live with what they are offering right now if it means getting a 1/18 T-34, T-72, and other 1/18 armor no one else will make.

So what do you think?
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:04 pm

I actually think the FOV Bradley in the desert scheme has the better paintscheme. Afterall, it has the great weathering and they even painted the inside of the hatches the same off-white color as the interior. Also, anyone notice that the FOV vehicle is nearly an inch thinner than the 21c Bradley?

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:14 pm

I agree with you there Tman, the desert scheme is alot better looking in my opinion too. I'll have to get some more comparsion pictures between my desert camo Bradley from 21st and the desert camo Bradley from FOV. The better paint scheme opinion goes for FOV's M1s too.

The size difference doesn't stand out that bad to me unless I stare at them for a long while..... :)
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:12 pm

Great pictures! I'm surprised that the FOV version is undersized....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Liquid Identity
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Liquid Identity » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29 pm

Thank you for the extremely helpful pics birddog! :D

There is a small amount of 1/18 FOV at the Target nearby (SW PA). They have Bradleys (both schemes were on the shelf), the Abrams and an assortment of the figures.

I have seen the FOV Bradley and I don't think it's selling well yet. However, the Elite Force figures and vehicles seem to keep disappearing and reappearing at a good rate... being right beside the FOV items, it's not a big wonder to me why the FOV are stagnating a little.

I picked up three of the FOV figures and despite the already mentioned shortcomings, they really do look fantastic. Moreso than Elite Force figures I find. So now I'm considering buying a few more FOV soldiers for my Elite Force vehicles, which oddly seems like a better fit.

Phaid
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Phaid » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:57 am

I've found plenty of FOV modern at the Target in Newburgh, NY, as well as in Milford, West Haven, and Derby, CT. It seems the Army figures are selling a little bit better than the Marine ones for some reason.

I have the desert M1 and Bradley, and about 20 of the Army guys plus one full set each of the Army and Marines still on their cards. By doing headswaps and helmet swaps I've wound up with a dozen unique ground troops plus six unique drivers, and these guys have completely replaced all of my BBI army builders.

I still love my BBI special ops guys -- the latest batch (CQB and the Delta and SEAL paratroopers) are fantastic, but for regular forces nothing beats the FOV troopers.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:43 pm

My buddy's spotted the FOV 1:18 Tiger 1 at Target...

The box depicted a number of German and U.S. figures as well. He's a good friend, very reliable, and knows his military history inside out, so I have zero reason to doubt him on this...

It seems the WW2 stuff's coming out.

He said the price was the same as the Abrams tank by the way, for those curious, and that the green for the US figures was "odd", and seemed inaccurate to anything from the era... No figures were on the pegs though, these were only pictured on the Tiger's box.

Hopefully this means we can all find these soon. :)

He lives in TX by the way, for you guys on the hunt.

digger

mother of god..

Post by digger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:00 am

Great recon JJ (note to self, ignore word from FoV company Rep). Can't wait to see the Germans. Game time..