1/16 FOV King Tiger

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

1/16 FOV King Tiger

Post by KWR190 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:07 pm

I was looking at the new stuff and notice that the new King Tiger comes with Jochen Peiper and 3 other figures its starting to look like an expensive year with all the new stuff.
Kurt

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:12 pm

Joachim Peiper was a very bad man.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

KAMIKAZE
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:13 am

I won't pass on this one.That's a great paint job on the new tank.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:42 pm

Where can you view it? I'd love to take a peek....

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:45 pm

Tinman go to the FOV web site and you can see it there but they dont show the figs
Kurt

Zartan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zartan » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:25 pm

I think this second release will sell out much faster than the first. Based on a actual tank with markings, 4 or 5 man crew and like Kamikaze said, a great paint job!

Here are the pictures from one of the recent toy shows:

http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/vehi ... 85301.html

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:37 pm

Stop tempting me!! The first release was one heck of a tank, and now with the full 5-man crew (hopefully positioned so as to fit within the interior) that King Tiger is just too cool!

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red69charger » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:31 am

Anybody want to trade one of the new ones for the old one? :D I agree. The new vehicle looks a lot better. Peiper was definitely Nazi in his thinking and ruthless and aggressive on the battlefield. I dislike him personally but I do admire what he could do on the battlefield.

An interesting annecdote: there is an account in the book Gotterdammerung (sp?) I think. At the end of the war Hitler ordered a number of the SS men to remove their arm bands in disgrace for not holding back the overwhelming Soviet onslaught in Hungary. Peiper was so ticked at Hitler's ridiculous order that he had his men throw their bands into a latrine bucket which he was going to personally send to Hitler. Apparently he was talked out of it and the package was never shipped. Unlikeable, but quite a personality.

20july1944
Corporal
Corporal

Peiper and the chamberpot

Post by 20july1944 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:58 pm

This is off-topic, but I don't think it was Peiper who did the medals in the chamberpot thing (it was a WSS unit, but I think it was someone else like Dietrich or Bittrich)

Peiper (besides the murky circumstances of the Malmedy massacre -- I'm honestly uncertain about fault there despite reading 3-4 books on it) did commit an atrocity in burning a village in Italy even AFTER the Italians complied with his demand for information on partisans.

Therefore, he went beyond ruthless to being counterproductively destructive.

I wish they had done a Wehrmacht unit, maybe 21C will accommodate my dream for a King Tiger.
Wehrmacht Toys make me smile!

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red69charger » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:58 pm

I may be wrong about the Peiper thing. I read it a long while back. Sorry if I misinformed.

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:02 am

One's on its way to me!

Mike

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:41 am

I almost bought one from thetoyfederation (that have it for 399$) when i ordered some 21stc 1:18 stuff . But i decided to buy a new graphic card for my computer insteed since i needed it more . So I just bought a 1:32 FOV king tiger (battle of germany version) to satisfy my king tiger need :)

And to add a litte to the Peiper discussion . The best german soldiers, pilots and tank commanders were active nazis (like Wittman and Rudel) . And famous millitary profiles are always popular , so its not strange that they do figures and acossiated vehicles of famous german ww2 profiles that were nazis .

dragon made for example a 1:18 figure of Peiper with an iron cross included

http://www.thetoyfederation.com/xcart/p ... bestseller

red69charger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Not to beat a dead horse

Post by red69charger » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:58 pm

I'd forgotten about this thread about Peiper. I recently read The Longest Winter about the 18 Americans who held up Peiper's column during the Battle of the Bulge ... a GREAT read. p255-6 mention's the medals in a full chamber pot story and Peiper is said to be the instigator. That said, this may be one of those stories that gets passed around so much nobody knows the source or the reality.

Interestingly, Lyle Bouck, the commander of the 18 guys from the 99th Division, wrote Peiper after the war. He felt Peiper had treated them very well after they were captured and actually wanted Peiper and some of his men to come to their 25th reunion (Peiper declined in the name of public opinion) . The actual words from his letter," I know you faced charges of having your men shoot prisoners of war at Honsfeld, Bullingen, and Malmedy. Because we were not molested after a day of severe battle witht eh best German troops, I have always though you had been accused of something for which you had no control. It is well known that in the heat of battle tempers flare and men will do things they normally would not do. Many situations like this happened also with our troops".

I'm NOT trying to defend Peiper's reputation ... just stating what I read.

digger

King Tiger is priceeeey

Post by digger » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:37 pm

Meskary wrote:Another interesting note on Peiper, he was assassinated in 1976......
What goes around comes around. :wink:

Anyway, I think 4 bills is ridiculous. I think what 21st could do with an $80 MSRP (which would never happen with armor :( ) would be comparable. That is just too much $ imo, but I can understand as I've done some crazy things... :roll: :oops:

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:52 pm

I hear 'ya, Digger. I just figured what the hell!

Mike

Zartan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zartan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:57 pm

I don't really care for Peiper and his so called massacres. War is war. Were still killing each other to this day and I don't see any end in sight. As for the model, it ain't air bubbles, its FOV attempt at texturing. I myself don't have the time nor skill to buy a 1/16 tamyia model (which will run me 3-400 Canadian in local hobby shops) and build it. I bought my first edition FOV 1/16 for $330 USD including shipping. No problem getting $400 USD + for it on ebay now since its a limited edition piece. Items like these will uphold original value if not increase. Great piece in my opinion and cheers to anyone that owns the first or second release!

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:46 am

Then its an extremely poor attempt at texturing. No tank, would have holes like those. Not even the roughest T-34 (and there's a few of them) would have casting like that. Germans like their tank pretty, not looking like swiss cheese. :P

I don't argue that this tank would high collectability value, but the majority of that value lies on the fact that they are limited runs, and not necessarily because it's the best representation of a King Tiger out there.

You can get a motorized Tamiya kit for around 150-200 USD shipped off Ebay, and they're easy to build. I know, because I had a nice day building one, and I'm the worst modeller in the planet! :lol:

On a side note, I wonder if FOV will put the proper camo on the 008... standardized, hard-edged, ambush camo. Tigers 313, 213, and 008 are some of the King Tigers that have this standardized pattern.

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:50 am

I think this tank looks very good . But can anyone explain the biggest faults with this tank for someone who dosent study pictures of tanks all day .

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:57 am

Would owners of the FOV 1/16 Peiper King Tiger like to give a full review of the model and photos of it?

Also, any suggestions for a cheaper 1/32 King Tiger alternative?

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:24 pm

Not having seen the FOV Tiger II , I can't comment on the texturing. The Tiger II at the Patton Musuem's hull and turret are made of rolled steel and have a fairly smooth feel to them, though there are some bumps and ridges. The Tiger II 's front hull MG fitting is cast and should have a rough texture to it It is usually cast armour as used on the Sherman and T34 turrets that have rough texture