Quad Trailer -[ not towable ? ]-

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

Quad Trailer -[ not towable ? ]-

Post by MG-42 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:03 pm

That's really cool ! * 8) ... Says it's in southern Ohio , hmmm , wonder where exactly which local they're referring.

Never heard of this one , unless they really meant the "Knob Creek" machine gun shoot near Fort Knox , Kentucky , 20-minuets from the "Patton Museum".

* Anyway ,.. that thing looks like it would literally cut you or something in 1/2. * :shock: ... Sounds really fast too. Faster than I thought it did , RPM wise. 8)

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:32 am

I'm also pretty sure that quad .50 was being shot at the "Knob Creek" shoot.

That one brief shoot probably cost the owner over $1,000 in ammo alone. Sure isn't an thrifty hobby. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:11 pm

aferguson wrote:here's a video of a quad .50 firing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seitcE7Tf1I
Boy, I hope they hit the squirrel they were shooting at.....
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

wreckchaser
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wreckchaser » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:57 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:They did have available, a tiny 2 wheel trailer with little baby wheels under the quad .50 that was pulled by a Jeep. I've seen this trailer different places but find no mention of it in my "bible". Maybe it was post war?

TTT
Hey TTT those small trailers are WW2, We had three of them at the surplus store down here around twenty years ago. We had drug them out of the woods up in N.C.. While cleaning one of them I found three german kill markings on the bottom of the armor plate. I wish I could find that photo.The small tires on these seemed to be a large aircraft tail wheels. BTW we recoverd these mounts using an MB jeep.IMHO the WC63 could most likely handle the mount in question in most cases.Those old Dodges are geared a little low. We used our WC54 to tow our M2 high speed tractor to the shop one day and it weighs 7 tons. This was on fairly level ground though.one other note on the small quad mounts those wheels were detachable so it could be set up permanant. The mount had jacks on it.
In Memory Of
Capt. Doug Martin and Capt. Sam James USAF
4-18-73 Cambodia, F-4E 67-0281

Lt. Robbie Helton USMC VMA-223
10-29-85 Spartanburg S.C.
A-4M (Buno) 160242

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:28 pm

WC:

I have said before that I have towed a broken down M3A1 White half-track out of the wild woods of Staten Island on more than one occasion with my M-37 3/4. The half-track was nine tons. Not a whimper from my Dodge even after flat towing the broken half-track two miles on paved streets to the half-track's home.

The major tow was from mid Manhattan to Staten Island with our Dodge WC-62 1 1/2 ton Dodge towing the same half-track (blown manifold gasket in a Veterans Day parade) and me running chase with my WC-56 CC. When we got "home" to S.I., we couldn't avoid a steep hill. To much for the big Dodge so we hooked my CC to the front of the 1 1/2 tonner and we both pulled the half-track up and over the hill.....

One day years later, a Huey had trouble and landed on a huge field near my house. The field was muddy but my M-37 easily made it up to the Huey to see if I could help. The Army called the local NG unit and they sent out a wrecker and a low boy truck and trailer. Both vehicles got halfway to the Huey and me and both vehicles sunk to the axles in mud. Stuck. So they called another 5 ton wrecker. He didn't even get as far as the first two.

Now, three 5 ton trucker stuck. I asked the drivers if they wanted me to pull them out (I was kidding, but those guys had no sesse of humor that day). Heck, my M-37 was driving through the mud in 4 wheel drive and first gear and never even paused). The Army had to call a civilian wrecker (one of those tractor trailer monsters) who stayed on dry ground and winched all the trucks out. They gave up of getting the Huey on a flat bed and it took two days but they had aviation maintenance guys fix the chopper and they had to ask the city for permission to fly it out, and they did..

Those Dodges were super tough......hence the true life name Threetoughtrucks.......... I always said in compound low my M-37 would drive up a wall.... :lol:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:33 pm

I can believe that. My F-350 pulls almost that hard in 1st gear/4 low.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:27 pm

Getting back onto the topic of this thread...

I finally got the M17 trailer :) It had to come from BadCat, as for whatever reason, the two TRUs in my area (plus the third one a ways down the road) have thus far not gotten in this peice, despite saturation elsewhere.

That said, its actually a neater little piece than I thought. The trailer is well-constructed and the M45 turret is a cool piece. Some spare ammo cases should have been included in the trailer, as they were on the M-16. Still, glad to finally have one!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:21 pm

how do you get the figure in the turret?

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:07 pm

I have yet to see them in Atlanta
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:19 am

Aviatornut.com wrote:how do you get the figure in the turret?
I haven't put a figure into the gun turret on the trailer yet, but on my S1 M-16 Halftrack, it was a very tight squeeze. I was able to get both a Battle of the Bulge series US tanker figure and one of the new D-Day figures into the turret. With both figure types, I had to remove the lower part of the legs (the shins) to make it fit more-or-less properly.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."