BBI leaving Target...??

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

BBI leaving Target...??

Post by ostketten » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:36 am

Don't know if this has already been discussed in the lengthy FOV 1:18 thread, but I thought I would bring it to everyone's attention just in case... http://store.foxholetoys.com/news.html
According to this news blurb at Foxhole, Target will be "phasing out" BBI 1:18 products in favor of the new FOV line. I don't know if this is a polite way of saying goodbye to BBI or not, but it might be wise to get your BBI now (or relatively soon) before it disappears from Target.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:43 am

Wonder why so soon??? :? Didn't they just get that line in a short while back? Anyways, I hope that info is incorect, I would hate to see BBI leave. Doesn't it always seem like whenever a great thing happens sometings gotta go wrong. Murphys Law at its work again. Dang you Murphy.!!!!!
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:55 am

Interesting. Just got through posting something about this kind of possible outcome in the FOV sticky.... :shock: Wonder if this is really the case?
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:28 am

it's not surprising....i can see Target not wishing to carry two such similar lines and since FOV seems to have a large presence there now and BBI may not have had anything to follow up with (at least at such low prices), they would be the ones to get the boot. Too bad too.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:29 am

Say it ain't so. :( :( :( :( :(

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:29 am

Well, I'm not sure where Foxhole gets their info, but assuming that it is accurate, I decided to pick up and salt away a BBI Apache today, it's an outstanding model for the money IMO, and even though I don't generally collect BBI stuff, particularly AC, I think it will be a good addition to the model "stash" in the long run. On a related note.... while I was in Target to score my Apache I had an opportunity to do a close visual inspection and comparison of the BBI tan Abrams and the new FOV model in the same basic color scheme, and I must say that I definitely prefer the FOV tank over the BBI. Now...with the emergence of FOV as a player in 1:18 scale, I think it opens up some very exciting possibilities for the future, particularly for people (like me) who are primarily WWII armor collectors. Who, for example, would not like to see FOV produce some of the pieces that have not been previously made in 1:18, like a Jagdpanther, T-34, or Sturmgeschutz...??? I don't know about you guys, but I would be all over any of those, and it seems likely that FOV will also make some nice WWII figures too, considering that the recently released modern figures have been very well received. Note to FOV: Just git er' done... :lol: :lol: 8) 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:12 pm

Whether true about the BBI leaving Target or not, it does seem to be a common-sense move. Having two toy lines with basically the same modern military theme seems almost redundant. Currently my area Targets have both the BBI and FOV 1:18 M1 Abrams, and the Bravo Team and FOV figures for example; it seems sort of wierd and certainly cannot help sales for either line. (It would be like having the BBI Sherman and 21c Sherman on the same shelf at TRU). In my opinion, BBI has had its run at Target given that the items were all re-releasesand. FOV seems to be starting out with a bang and could have a better future there.

While I do like certain stowage details on the BBI M1 Abrams, I do agree that both the new FOV Abrams are better - especially the desert cammo version with its beautiful weathering! While I don't wish either toy line to die out, it seems that BBI already has a good contract with TRU and the small retailers and should stay at those places while leaving something different to be found at Target...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

digger

well

Post by digger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:23 pm

BBI should have never screwed themselves by selling Target two waves of peg-warmers that had proven to be just that at TRU...how many of us were sick of seeing those same 4 modern guys and Jump-ready paras at TRU when they hit Target full force?
Trust me that if stuff sells retailers would have no problem keeping two similar lines, but perhaps this was in the cards all along - the bbi as a hold-over until the FOV stuff was ready...

grunt1

Re: well

Post by grunt1 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:26 pm

digger wrote:perhaps this was in the cards all along - the bbi as a hold-over until the FOV stuff was ready...
That's where my money is..

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:28 pm

IMHO, WWII will always be the most sought after line in 1:18th scale. BBI should realize that with the popularity of their WW2 figures they brought out a few years ago. I'm not talking about the paras, but the other figures that were only released for a short while. If FOV does tap into WW2 strongly, then watch out. Hopefully we'll get to see these tiger tanks real soon and will be able to figure out where the line is going. :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:54 pm

its all about the money, FOV is getting it to Target cheaper.
plus i have heard from someone in Asia FOV has a Apache and Blackhawk coming out in 1/18. Seems like BBI just got replaced almost
completely.

lets hope FOV makes some aircraft at some point.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:27 pm

I recall getting in a discussion on Joecustoms with some guy back when BBI first hit Target. He was claiming to be in with certain "insiders" at one of the toy magazines. His claims at the time were:

1) BBI will only be at Target through the end of the year
2) BBI will be out of 1/18 by next year.

So, seeing this seems very interesting, based on if the first one is going to happen. I know they changed the boards over there, but I will try to dig up the old post and quote the guy exactly.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

MG-42

bbi ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:45 pm

I really doubt that bbi plans on discontinuing the 1/18 line altogether.

v MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Morian Miner

Re: bbi ( ? )

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:48 pm

MG-42 wrote: I really doubt that bbi plans on discontinuing the 1/18 line altogether.

Merely repeating old gossip. Seriously, I thought the guys was full of sh#$ with BBi only being temporary.

Went looking for the old post, but they changed forums since them. A few people from here post over there. Maybe they remember this discussion as well.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:18 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:its all about the money, FOV is getting it to Target cheaper.
plus i have heard from someone in Asia FOV has a Apache and Blackhawk coming out in 1/18. Seems like BBI just got replaced almost
completely.

lets hope FOV makes some aircraft at some point.
Will thier Apache and Blackhawk be better then Bbi's?
Last edited by VMF115 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:16 pm

I hope that BBI continues thier line of 1:18 though. It would be a shame to lose such wonderful figs. I think BBI just needs to maybe change the direction of thier line. I guess we now know why we havn't seen much in the way of new releases from them in a while. :?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:45 pm

VMF115 wrote:Will thier Apache and Blackhawk be better then Bbi's?
Assuming the intel is valid and the claim from the contact in Asia is true, it could go either way. If FOV simply up-scales their regular 1:48 Apache, we might be in trouble :roll: We will be better off, however, if they up-scale their 1:48 "Long Bow" Apache as that had some tooling corrections to make it more accurate over the earlier release. Either way, FOV would at least probably get the main rotor ballance and pushrods done correctly :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:57 pm

i have no idea about any details on the FOV stuff, it is a Source, take it as it is.

i dont see it being that hard to believe, they have a 1:75th and a 1:32 scale Apache and Blackhawk, it would make sense to make them, especially if they got some sort of deal with Target.

digger

well..

Post by digger » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:37 am

Jolly Roger wrote:i have no idea about any details on the FOV stuff, it is a Source, take it as it is.

i dont see it being that hard to believe, they have a 1:75th and a 1:32 scale Apache and Blackhawk, it would make sense to make them, especially if they got some sort of deal with Target.
I hope your source didn't tell you they have a 1/32 scale blackhawk and Apache because they are 1:48 I believe. By 1:75th I assume you mean 1:72..

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:47 am

no he didnt tell me this sizes, only said "they haven them in two other scales" i added the wrong scales.. which is probably bcuase im 1:18th for life! :lol:

MG-42

Re: bbi ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:25 am

Well ,.. bbi isn't goin' anywhere , anytime soon w/ 1/18 , anyway.

* They plan to introduce another Zero ( S-4 )
camo version , like an "Oscar" , * 8) , in `08 , after "New Years" or February.

" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 pm

Interesting happenings. I would like to see FOV make some planes in 1:18 but I guess we will have to wait and see.
Todd

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 pm

Well ,.. bbi isn't goin' anywhere , anytime soon w/ 1/18 , anyway.

* They plan to introduce another Zero ( S-4 )
camo version , like an "Oscar" , * , in `08 , after "New Years" or February.

v MG
Whoa, thats interesting! Where did you hear that :?: :?: :?:

chaffhappy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chaffhappy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:17 pm

Shoot. I forgot this thread was here about FOV and BBI and Target. I just posted a comment in the TRU/Target thread about a brief discussion I had with someone at the FOV HQ in California who confirmed they will be taking over BBI's 1:18 line. No details about helicopters, though.