POST ALL FOV 1/18 FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
digger
Officer - Brigadier General

new stuff

Post by digger » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:19 am

At least four of the six Targets in my AO have all the new FOV figures and vehicles in as of today It all sort of appeared at once like magic despite my earlier worries...

This seems to happen a lot with you Tman. :lol: Don't worry so much! :D

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:21 am

I grabbed both sets of Army and Marine figures at the Dover Target today. I passed on the AG M1 and Desert Bradleys, though. I wasn't too impressed with the FOV Bradley and the M1 camo was too cartoony for me. Anyways, I am avoiding duplication across manufacturers. I really wish we can see the end of duplication of effort in our hobby. It has to hurt sales, I know I don't buy dupes anymore....
I thought the FOV M1 was a repackaged BBI. I have always assumed some molds were shared or leased between various manufactuers.

The FOV Bradley is a different version. I at least don't recall seeing any other vehicle out there in this size that is similar.

I thought there were some postings or poll in this fourm about people were more concerned with price point than detail level.

On the next series, I'll get the Tiger, I sure don't need and more Shermans of the same mark. Soon as I see a A3E8 I'll jump on that...

As I said earlier, I want this line to succeed and allow a wide variety of vehicles and armor, which is what we all want.

Maybe soon* I'll have a Centurion MK5

DH

tmanthegreat

Re: new stuff

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am

digger wrote:This seems to happen a lot with you Tman. :lol: Don't worry so much! :D
Yes, you're right :wink: But there's still been other times with other retailers where the stuff hasn't shown up. There's still no new BBI Paras or quad trailers at my local TRUs for example (at least as of last weekend) and then Wal Mart with its hit-n-miss distribution...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:54 am

By far the best looking figures IMHO, at least in the packages as I haven't removed them yet. How's the articulation on them? solid or flimsy? feel like limbs will pop off (like the first gen 21st figs)? These popped locally fairly quickly compared to the Bbi releast a couple months back, so I was supsrised when I heard from a fellow board member they were in our AO.

Looking forward to the FOV line of 1:18

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:03 pm

By far the best looking figures IMHO, at least in the packages as I haven't removed them yet. How's the articulation on them? solid or flimsy? feel like limbs will pop off (like the first gen 21st figs)? These popped locally fairly quickly compared to the Bbi releast a couple months back, so I was supsrised when I heard from a fellow board member they were in our AO.
Sounds like you had some success finding at least some of what you were looking for Klaus, glad to hear it. 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:48 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:A few thoughts: I am very much pleased with the M1s and picked up a cammo version. The desert Bradley is very tempting, but then I look at my 21c version and think otherwise. I find it funny that the 1:32 FOV M3 Bradley actually has more working features than the 1:18 vehicle - including a deployable TOW launcher :roll: The figures, however, are the strongest point in the line and are simply some of the best modern figures we have gotten to date, in my opinion 8) They have as much articulation as the BBI figures, but surpass them by simply being regular-looking soldiers and because they come with some awesome accessories.

This is exactly why I grabbed the figures. They are new to our hobby!! Finally, some regular modern troops!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Well I was hunting for a FOV 1:18th Tiger I today at Target... and had no luck. :? So I was looking at the A1M1 Abrams. For $25.00 I picked one up. :shock: :D What a great model... this coming from ME, who doesn't collect any Mod troops or Tanks.
When their 1:18th WWII line comes out, I'll be on that like flies at dinner! :roll:ya thought I was gonna say flies on stuff.
I've always liked FOV / Unimax's 1:32nd line, Great Quality and detail... just like the larger scales more.............

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Visited a few more Targets in Northern, CA and only found the Abrams and Bradleys. No sightings of any of the figures.
Last edited by immeww2 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 am

Gave in and picked up a desert-cammo (tan) Bradley today. It does indeed lag severely in detail when compared to the 21c Bradley and even the FOV 1:32 version. That said, however, it does look great and is a nice vehicle for the price. Putting the new FOV tankers in the hatches, troops in the passenger compartment and stowing various accessories on the outside make the Bradley look alot better. I also painted the periscope lenses, the ammo boxes on the turret and some of the stowage to better highlight those details 8)

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:20 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Gave in and picked up a desert-cammo (tan) Bradley today. It does indeed lag severely in detail when compared to the 21c Bradley and even the FOV 1:32 version. That said, however, it does look great and is a nice vehicle for the price. Putting the new FOV tankers in the hatches, troops in the passenger compartment and stowing various accessories on the outside make the Bradley look alot better. I also painted the periscope lenses, the ammo boxes on the turret and some of the stowage to better highlight those details 8)
I noticed how the FOV Bradley was quite a bit behind the 21st version. It lacks the crispness and you can't match diecast with plastic. For the price, you can't go wrong, though.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:54 am

I agree with the details on the FOV Bradley lacking to 21st's version, however, I think the FOV Abrams tank is better looking than the BBI version. I never did pick up the BBI Abrams, but when I saw the FOV version I immediately took a liking to it and it became a part of my armor collection.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm

FOV Bravo Team armor and figures are starting to appear! I found both versions of the Bradley and the woodland camo version of the Abrams last night in Mishawaka, as well as a nice selection of both Army and Marinie figures. Picked up three of the Marines and a desert Bradley. I also ran into B-24 Sharky over at TRU and he said he had seen more in other Targets in the general area. I am really looking forward to finding the Abrams in desert camo (to keep my modern collecton consistent).

Now about the new pieces: I like the Bradley, and it's great for the money. But it would have still been nice if they had allowed for a few more moving parts (at least the TOW launcher). And it does make a good base for cusomtization!

As far as the figures: the sculpts are great, and like several have noted, it's nice to finally have some general troops. And the accessories are great-like a bonus trip to Buldd-a-Rama with every figure. One concern I do have is incredibly sticky joints (I have been afraid of breaking the figure trying to get some joints to move).. And I noticed that the lower arm seems to separate from the upper arm (too) easily at the swivel above the elbow.

But for a first effort at 1/18 figures, I give them an A+--and I am sure some of these issues will disappear on future versions.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:20 pm

I had only plan on collecing 1:18 helicopters but wow, the FOV abram looks great. Drove to Target and picked up one the desert theme this evening.

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by 75th Ranger » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:55 pm

Well,

Movement to contact ....successful!
I was able to get my hands on some of the new FOV 1:18...Great deal, pretty good quality, nice paint job, and accessibility in target seems ok.

What we need is a 1:18 Stryker vehicle to go with the Army guys...

I think the thing I like the most is the extra accessories that come with the figures.

But I must admit that most of this figures are an almost exact copy of the bbi line...not exactly but really really close.

Now, is a FOV WWII 1:18 line also coming out? What about a US Civil War figure line in 1:18 by FOV?

There is a lot of potential for this line...they have demonstrated their talent in the 1:32 sector...and nows it seems like it is catching up in the 1:18.

By the way, the FOV website has some rules for a game with their figures and vehicles, I think it is mainly 1:32 oriented but I was wondering if anyone of you is planning on giving it a run in the 1:18 arena?

keep me posted,
HOOAH!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:54 pm

Struck gold today!! Found both versions of the Abrams and Bradley and 2 complete sets of the Army and Marine figures at a Northern, CA Target. Snatched the tan Bradley and Abrams and both sets of the figures. :D :D :D

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Went to two targets todays, and both had figures, Bradleys, and Abrams. Waiting on the armor, but picked up a few figures. Really impressive for a first series by FOV. Actually, even more impressive than the accessories are the helmets. So far, I think they are the best ones out there.

For as "dry" as this year has been for 1/18, this holiday season is off to a great start.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:56 am

How do the FOV figures compare to BBI figures(OP BBI figures are #1)?
Iv only seen the pics of the FOV figures, I find the faces alittle cartoonish am I wrong? Can't get these in Quebec, I can only go by the pics and what you M8 say.
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:14 am

SGT. Saunders wrote:How do the FOV figures compare to BBI figures(OP BBI figures are #1)?
Iv only seen the pics of the FOV figures, I find the faces alittle cartoonish am I wrong?
I think they are of almost exactly the same quality :D The FOV troops have the same joint movement as the new BBI Modern troops, more accurate cammo patterns on the uniforms and vests, and the same level of sculpt detail. They also come with neater accessories, IMHO. I can see where they faces might be taken to be a bit cartoony, but in person they appear not much different from the BBI heads and offer something new to the mix. I have included a few shots of some of the FOV troops next to some BBI ones I had on hand. (My apologies for the blurry shots...)

It is not a complete selection of either FOV or BBI troops, and some weapons and heads have been swapped. The FOV figures are representative of the cammo and body types. The M3 Bradley in the background is the new FOV version.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Nice pics T, thanks for posting them. The troopers in the turret of the Bradley look awesome 8) and I think the new bases on the FOV figures are a step forward, let's hope the BBI and 21C take note. :wink:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:57 pm

With every picture i just want to get these more and more! this is really great news i am really hoping that with competition now in the modern market BBI will step up to the plate and produce more stuff and i am really hoping that FOV produce more and it becomes widely available!
If interrested in seeing more of my customs check out

http://www.freewebs.com/scopescustoms/index.htm

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:57 pm

ostketten wrote:Nice pics T, thanks for posting them. The troopers in the turret of the Bradley look awesome 8)
No problem! I was very much impressed with the fact that FOV included modern tank crew figures as part of the lineup. They have probably been one of the most numerous figures I have purchased from the Bravo team lineup and now all my 1:18 modern tanks and armored vehicles have proper-looking crews! The new figures don't fit into the Hummers too well, but that's OK, as it still gives "employment" to some of my old-style BBI figures :wink:

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

FOV 1/18 Figure Review

Post by 75th Ranger » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:47 pm

Well,

I'm really glad about these FOV 1:18 figures and I must say that since I'm now more into 1:6; I was totally caught by surprise with their release. So far these figures are one of the BEST modern 1/18 figures ever made!

Nevertheless, there are some issues with the figures and I want to post a list:

1- The figures seems to have the same fragility issues as the bbi figures. In other words, be careful when posing the figure because some of the articulation/junctions will give, separate and possibly break..
.just like the bbi figures.

2- Even though the helmets fit tight, the helmets tend to rub the figures ear's paint job. Also other paint areas of the head sculpt.

3- As for the the figures and their uniforms, I think that the colors of the vests are backwards.....the Marines tend to use the "coyote tan color gear" over their uniforms and the Army guys tend to use the cammo vests over their ACU's...For example the Stryker Bdg. used their cammo gear over their ACU's and may still be using some of it now...if not the cammo has been replaced by ACU gear also.

4- The M-240 machine gun needs some ammo belts added to it, just like the M249 has...in oder to make it look more realistic.

5- Now that the figures are out FOV should maximize their skills and add some Diorama pieces to the collection it would definitely give them an advantage over the competition.

6- For the Marines the LAV75 bbi vehicle is the right vehicle to set up but for the Army guys instead of the Bradley, a Stryker vehicle should be done.

To conclude, the FOV 1/18 line is one of the best things that has ever happened and it has a lot of potential in the future. Their new 1/18 figures look great and the vehicle paint jobs surpass the level of detail of the competition; regardless of their paint and other inaccuracies, the FOV 1/18 line is an excellent addition to any serious 1/18 military figure collector. I 'm really please with them!

I hope that this review helps the group and the forum.

HOOAH!
Last edited by 75th Ranger on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Just picked up a Bradley and an Abrams, plus two tank crew figs from my local Target. The figures are the best looking modern figs so far, easily surpassing BBI .

The Abrams is just about equal of the BBI version. The FOV Abrams might look like it has better details, but considering that BBI's Abrams is a late 80s-early 90s version, and the FOV is the more modern version, both of them are just about as detailed, and sorely lack in many areas.

For example, BBI's Abrams' ammunition blow-off panels might look too plain compared to the FOV version, but in fact, it's pretty accurate the way it is.

But I can't complain too much, considering that BBI and FOV at least made an Abrams in 1/18 scale, while the "leader" in 1/18, refuse to do so.

So in terms of accuracy and details, they are roughly equal. But considering I wanted an OIF Abrams, I decided to cannibalize one of my BBI Abrams, and put parts of it to my FOV Abrams, like the M2 .50 and the M240 machine guns.

digger

fov

Post by digger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:40 am

GooglyDoogly wrote:..The figures are the best looking modern figs so far, easily surpassing BBI....
People keep saying this. I think the new bbi guys look awesome and set the standard, especially in terms of weapons, head sculpts, hands and load-out. Is it just that we finally have some regulars that everyone is so pleased with the fov guys or are they that good?
GooglyDoogly wrote:..The Abrams is just about equal of the BBI version. The FOV Abrams might look like it has better details, but considering that BBI's Abrams is a late 80s-early 90s version, and the FOV is the more modern version, both of them are just about as detailed, and sorely lack in many areas...But I can't complain too much, considering that BBI and FOV at least made an Abrams in 1/18 scale, while the "leader" in 1/18, refuse to do so...
Please, we don't need another Abrams...

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:30 am

Please, we don't need another Abrams...
Some have said the FOV Tiger will be along soon, of course it's just another re-issue of another model someone else has already produced, :roll: but I'll take it over the Abrams, and the FOV Tiger looks as though it will come with Zimmerit, at least that's something we haven't seen in a production 1:18 Tiger.....stay tuned.