POST ALL HELLCAT FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:34 pm

I had the same problem and this is what I did. I pulled mine back out (carefully) it will come out. I used a small piece of the wire that was used to hold parts in box. I first put small piece through center openning in clip and made one complete turn (stuffing wire up into prop housing and then back through clip again. Cut off end and pushed prop back into Hellcat. It is now tight. Although it will not spin as freely as the Corsair, it sure does not droop now. Try it, it might just do the trick for you too. It holds the clip (or whatever you want to call it out, so it causes it to be tigher in the plane housing.
Good Luck
JOC

toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by toyktdlgh » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:26 pm

Just picked up a Hellcat at the Florence KY TRU. It was the only one left that I could see. :shock: I also got a Quad Trailer at the same store. Not sure why I got it. Must have just struck me for some reason. It too was the only one left. Looks real good in the box.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:15 pm

toyktdlgh wrote:Just picked up a Hellcat at the Florence KY TRU. It was the only one left that I could see. :shock: I also got a Quad Trailer at the same store. Not sure why I got it. Must have just struck me for some reason. It too was the only one left. Looks real good in the box.
WOW!
I was just there a couple of days ago and NOTHING!

Some people have all the luck, Toyktdlgh...

Do you think they had more in the back? or just sold the ones they got in?
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:09 am

Second Toys R Us didn't even carry 1:18 aircraft other than the LittleBird. This TRU was off the 91 at Lake Forrest Drive (California)

MG-42

( S-1 ) Hellcat's @ TRU !

Post by MG-42 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:53 am

I saw the ( S-1 ) Hellcat over here too , but I did'nt even bother to pick it up , due to the fact I had already pre-ordered the very LTD. Edition "Cat Mouth" Hellcat from BCT , earlier last month @ $49.00 :wink: + :D = 8)

v MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:56 am

My local Hobbytown USA store and another "mom 'n pop" hobbystore in my town both have the BBI Hellcat. Hobbytown has theirs for the normal $55, but the little hobby store is selling them for $70 :shock:

Nothing at TRU; heck the stores in my area don't even have the quad-.50 trailer yet and one only just got in the cammo "Long Tom" Howitzer! Given that I already have a Hellcat, though, I can wait :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Well mine is going back. The rear landing gear is missing. I guess my luck isn’t all that good after all. :roll:

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:15 pm

toyktdlgh wrote:Well mine is going back. The rear landing gear is missing. I guess my luck isn’t all that good after all. :roll:
Sorry to hear that. I guess you looked inside the box, right?
That really sucks when you get the last one on the shelf and it's defective.
Too bad there isn't a button you can push that connects you with the Q/A guy for that particular plane, so you could give a thought or two to him on his level of quality assurance!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:25 pm

Visted 5 TRU stores in my AO (Washington DC metro area) and not a single Hellcat unfortunately. Still quite a few Corsairs and P51's sprinkled about, but a couple of the stores have 3/4 of the aisle dedicated to BBI and FOV items, it's nice to see these things back in TRU, which if the rumors about Wally World are true, might be our only retail outlet to pick items up from? well Target to, but they're flakey so I won't count on them.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Razor17019 wrote:
toyktdlgh wrote:Well mine is going back. The rear landing gear is missing. I guess my luck isn’t all that good after all. :roll:
Sorry to hear that. I guess you looked inside the box, right?
That really sucks when you get the last one on the shelf and it's defective.
Too bad there isn't a button you can push that connects you with the Q/A guy for that particular plane, so you could give a thought or two to him on his level of quality assurance!
It’s like it was never installed in the plane at all. The box was unopened as well. Oh well. I already had the other version on pre-order so I guess I will return this one and wait for it. I’m not sure if they had any others but I didn’t see any.

gordon24
Private First Class
Private First Class

Paint Issues

Post by gordon24 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:19 pm

I went to see my local hobby shop and looked at the paint on the 2 hellcats there.One had the diagonal line behind the wing smudged,and the cowl paint mismatched,and the panel on the underside of the wing far lighter colored.The other had the same awful cowl paint and wing panel mismatch.this one also didn`t seem to have enoufg paint pigment on the white paint,as you could see through it.I was set to buy one,as I am a good friend of Modesto`s hobby shop owner.I am going to wait and see if others are that poorly painted.I had the same problem with one of the 109s tail being far lighter in color at the joint aft of the radio hatch.I hope the next one is better.I think it will be.[/img]

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:58 pm

Assembling the Hellcat was Extremely scary!!! I was attaching the wings trying to fit the pegs on the wing hinges into the slots on the fuselage, and wondering how I was going to apply pressure without destroying all the delicate pitot tubes, radar masts and movable control surfaces. :shock: Fortunately, although not easily, I managed to assemble it without a single break or mishap 8) Although I deeply appreciate the detail in this model, it needs better engineering for out of the box assembly.

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14 am

The HellCat has landed in South Florida.

The West Palm Beach Toys "R" Us has one left as of last night. They were hidden in the overhead storage compartment.

Plenty of Daisy June corsairs and a few Donald Duck mustangs.

JL :D
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hellcat Assembly

Post by corpbob » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:42 am

mountian-man wrote:Assembling the Hellcat was Extremely scary!!! I was attaching the wings trying to fit the pegs on the wing hinges into the slots on the fuselage, and wondering how I was going to apply pressure without destroying all the delicate pitot tubes, radar masts and movable control surfaces. :shock: Fortunately, although not easily, I managed to assemble it without a single break or mishap 8) Although I deeply appreciate the detail in this model, it needs better engineering for out of the box assembly.
Yes, getting the wings on was a scary moment. Just a small attachment to the regular (sparse) directions giving more details as to how to get them on without breaking them would have saved me a few grey hairs, and probably BBI a few angry phone calls about broken parts too.

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:39 pm

Found the Hellcat at the Potomac Mills TRU about twenty minutes outside of Washington DC. Out of the box but unassembled it is beautiful. Somewhat large gap in the fuselage belly seam that will have to be filled with putty but nothing difficult to perfect. Paint is flawless, antennae are straight, flap tabs do lock in place and nothing is broken. I will assemble after I perfect the fuselage seam. Cost, $44.99 plus tax ($47 and change). Good luck.

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:19 am

Sgt. Fury wrote:Found the Hellcat at the Potomac Mills TRU about twenty minutes outside of Washington DC. Out of the box but unassembled it is beautiful. Somewhat large gap in the fuselage belly seam that will have to be filled with putty but nothing difficult to perfect. Paint is flawless, antennae are straight, flap tabs do lock in place and nothing is broken. I will assemble after I perfect the fuselage seam. Cost, $44.99 plus tax ($47 and change). Good luck.
Sgt.

Thanks for the heads up, will definitely be checking in with that store tomorrow as I'll be down at Quantico for the the afternoon.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Finally

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:07 pm

corpbob wrote:Finally got a Hellcat via Toysnswords.com for $39.99 plus $10 shipping. It'll show they're out of stock, but they're not. Anyhow, color me impressed. After seeing the quality of this jewel, I'm going to have to get a BBI Corsair to replace my 21st Century one. Great job BBI!!!
I just sold off my Ira Kepford Corsair. The reason? One I made room for my Hellcat and 2 I set up more space for my Marines Dream memorbilia, photos ect.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:18 am

what's up with toysnswords.com? I purchased a Hellcat from them 10 days ago and got a receipt for my purchase emailed to me right away. 10 days later my card has not been charged and there have been no responses for nearly 3 days to my emails.

Are they still in business?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

digger

toysnswords

Post by digger » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:01 am

aferguson wrote:what's up with toysnswords.com? I purchased a Hellcat from them 10 days ago and got a receipt for my purchase emailed to me right away. 10 days later my card has not been charged and there have been no responses for nearly 3 days to my emails.

Are they still in business?
Call them. That's the best way to deal with them. If you get VM just call back at another time. The owner is a nice guy but his efforts are obviously spread out.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:07 pm

On my way to Illinois this week I stopped in the TRU in Kennesaw GA and bought two Hellcats in perfect condition. No gaps or anything bad. Very happy with them.

Then landed in Evansville, IN at their TRU and saw three Hellcats. Unfortunately all had serious issues. LARGE gaps in fuselage seams and broken tail antennas. Boxes were not in good shape either. Must have been packed on the bottom of the trailer. Sad. I told the manager about them. I said I'd buy one for discount. (always nice to have some spare parts) She declined. Instead her brain began thinking: She took them alll of the shelves and told me she was going to send them back the vendor for credit. Sorry fellas for those living near Evansville and were looking for a hellcat. Unfortunately, they weren't worth picking up unless you don't mind doing serious custom work to get it right.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:29 am

WHAT?? You mean the kennesaw tru about 8 miles up the street from me of I-75?? The same one I ignore because it still has yet to get any 21st stuff?? The one I'm going to stop at on the way home? Yep, thats the one...

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:57 am

Well, s**t- I missed the hellcats at the kenn TRU today. what more can ya say, I'm not used to missing out..

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Fine lookin' kitty...

Post by c44 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:44 pm

Hellcats on L.I....saw one at Holbrook TRU, none at Brentwood...meow!
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:01 pm

saw my first hellcat today in NH. The plane looked cool but the antenna was broken off. the plane looke like it was packed tightly against the front window of the box. the pilots parachute was rolling around in the box. it was the only one in the store. well i'm going to save up 45 dollars to find a mint one.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:05 pm

well, it's coming up to two weeks and still not a word from Toysnswords about my Hellcat order, despite sending two emails. Strange way to run a business. Not really into making a long distance phone call.

Now i'm stuck. I can't order somewhere else in case my order at Toysnswords is all of a sudden processed. Not too impressed.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...