omg

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
FieroDude
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by FieroDude » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:45 pm

I think that would depend entirely upon who you had to work with you to bid it up. I just looked at the different auctions snd bid histories of these bidders. One has what looks like a perfect record, and the other a fair one at best (to land a negative before you even hit 30 feedback is a sign, plus all the retractions). I think it may be two scammers working together to bid up a "rare" item, making sure the one with the shaky history wins. Somewhere, I suspect there is a paypal claim (or similar--a friend of mine once got paid with a fake cashiers check on a camcorder she sold, but we checked it before we shipped the item and learned it was stolen from a bank in FL and contacted the police instead). The buyer gets his money back, the seller gets ripped off on what he thought was a great sale, and after a couple repeats, one of the scammer creates a new ID.

From what I have seen: if an item sells for far more than recent trends support, then something is up. $200 for a Panther is insane, but believable--we have seen it many times. And I don't recall recent trends on Stukas going that high. I can't tell which P-38 these guys are working on, but it isn't one that I have heard going for big bucks, either.

All I can is: be careful guys. Especially those of you that sell on e-bay. We seem to be entering a new wave of scammers and rip-off artists..
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:56 pm

That listing on the Tiger is from our friend "The Woofer". His customs are sure worth much more than the average MIB.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:09 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:That listing on the Tiger is from our friend "The Woofer". His customs are sure worth much more than the average MIB.

TTT
Definitely-The Hun's work is awesome. If he did aircraft (maybe he does, but I haven't seen one), I could also imagine them bringing numbers in the $400 range or more. And actually, for the buyer of one of his tank customs, $250-300 is a bargain (take a $50 tank, add maybe $30-50 in materials, and countless hours--figure $90-125/hr for an artist of his caliber in the marketing world--and see how it adds up). But $200 for a MIB Panther seems steep. And $500+ for a MIB Stuka, even if it is a reboxed S1, is comparable to selling a mint condition 97 Ford Taurus for $250,000. Sure it is worth more than the desert Stuka or a loose S1, but not THAT much!
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:45 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: Geez I wouldn't even pay that much for a stuka on crazybay :lol:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:53 pm

There's an old saying that mostly holds true "IF it sounds too good to be true then it probably is". More power if people can really get that kind of change for a plane. But realistically they can't be worth more than $100, and that's pushing it for an S1 Stuka.
Todd

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:58 pm

Could be a little fishy . If the prices are forced up it will hurt collectors. Bad news for newbees good news for us old collectors. I seem to be sitting on a gold mine. Everytime I think of thinning out this happens. I guess I still have to hold on to everything for a little while longer.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

mccarthy1028
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mccarthy1028 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:23 am

i think its a cover up to a whole other type scheme... The guy bids it up the other guy wins and its a way of washing their funny money... You see this a lot in south texas, someone will open a small business, that hardly ever gets traffic but they are making a boat load of money... Its money laundering and these guys are using ebay to do it... I dont know why but thats just what I came up with, or they might have found a way to scam paypal out of a lot of money...
-MIKE-

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:59 am

mccarthy1028 wrote:i think its a cover up to a whole other type scheme... The guy bids it up the other guy wins and its a way of washing their funny money... You see this a lot in south texas, someone will open a small business, that hardly ever gets traffic but they are making a boat load of money... Its money laundering and these guys are using ebay to do it... I dont know why but thats just what I came up with, or they might have found a way to scam paypal out of a lot of money...
-MIKE-
Being the the fraud detection biz, I can see how ebay would be another channel for this to happen and this could very well be one of those scenarios.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:48 am

Definitely fishy guys. That is way out of line for a fairly common Stuka. I have 2 cases of these and would sell them in a heartbeat if I thought I could get anywhere near half of what this auction brought. As for the $200.00 Panthers, you have witnessed General Blasto and I "duking it out" on E-bay. Needless to say he has deeper pockets than me right now and you'll notice almost all the auctions are won by him. Until recently, I wasn't aware that I was bidding against a fellow board member. Just trying to get a few more tanks to make customs from. GB, it was very interesting to see where all those Panthers ended up. I have a sneaking suspicion that you guys might just see the price of armor come down. :wink:

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:56 am

Well, that tank re-numbering question posted by GB makes a lot more sense now. :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:06 pm

I have one word for these high prices: NUTZ'S
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:15 pm

Believe me guys, nobody would like to see $39.00 Panthers again more than I. This is one tank it would not hurt to release again.

Mark

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:20 pm

Heck, they re-released the M48 for pete's sake. The Panther would be easy money.

If they were to re-release the Panther, however, I only ask that they come up with some different turret numbers. The stuff that's out is just as bad as the standard configuration Hanomag. I mean how many #13s did we really need? :?
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:45 pm

Total "no brainer" right?

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:58 pm

Especially if they rolled out an Ambush scheme with different numbers. I'd have a hard time resisting one of those. North Africa focus or no.
-W.C. Fields

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:36 pm

flpickupman wrote:Heck, they re-released the M48 for pete's sake. The Panther would be easy money.

If they were to re-release the Panther, however, I only ask that they come up with some different turret numbers. The stuff that's out is just as bad as the standard configuration Hanomag. I mean how many #13s did we really need? :?
I agree a re-release of the panther would be awsome :) I think they should put different numbers on all their armor pieces. Make everyone made different :wink:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Especially when they change paint schemes. There's a regular Panther, a Winter Panther, and a Ambush Panther. How much more difficult would it have been to integrate a turret number change with each scheme?
-W.C. Fields

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:24 pm

I think 21C should leave off the numbers completely and just insert a decal sheet so that the purchaser can number their own tanks. :D