Scale philosophies..

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:36 am

Well, I got into "scale" with 1/48 aircraft that my dad would build for me--and later I would build for myself. Though I grew up in the 80s, I never really got into Joes. I picked up 1-18 when I was shopping for a birthday present for my nephew back in 02 or 01. I looked at it and thought--gee where were these when I was younger. I couldn't resist so I started my love affair with XD. I picked up 32x with the first airplanes that came out in the JC Penny's holiday assortment. I bought them with the intent of hanging them in my classroom. I am currently up to 18 32x aircraft flying around my classroom skys. You wouldn't belive how many kids think it is cool--both boys and girls.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

aktiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aktiger » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:27 pm

1/6th for figures, 1/18 and 1/32 for airplanes and 1/72 for everything.
I grew up modeling 1/72 scale and building dioramas, so I will always enjoy that scale.
When I was at college my mother threw out my GI Joe collection (very extensive) so I think I have some latent anger that I am resolving by collecting 1/6th. Primarily Dragon, I enjoy the detail the scale offers, and the wow factor of static soldier displays.
1/18th in planes and armor have the wow factor and are the perfect size for an impressive displays.
1/32 planes have the detail, are easier to store, are less expensive, easier to hang (lighter) and have a better selection / variety.
At this point my collection has become too big so I have been collecting less 1/6th and 1/18th and focusing on smaller scales.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:56 am

I go with 1/18th scale for my birds because of the detail and because it allows me to add extra detail here and there.

:)
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.