D Day Spit goes for big bucks

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Light.Inf.Scout
Officer - Brigadier General

D Day Spit goes for big bucks

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:41 am

Heres another one going for big $$$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPITFIRE-MK-1-ULTIM ... dZViewItem

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:54 am

THATS IT..............barbed wire around the house, pit bulls.....get away from my XD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

never...sell...XD!!!!!!!!!

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:16 am

OK, I don’t know how long you guys have been collecting 1:18 aircraft/armor, but to newbies like me this is the only way to get a D-Day Spitfire. (I’m not sure I’d be willing to pay that much, though.) Detective work will only get you so far in terms of unearthing discontinued, hard-to-find 1:18 models over the Internet. Online retailers don’t help in the least, as they rarely, if ever, update their catalogues.

Thing is: this is the only way to get hold of certain models. Do I feel squeezed? Sure I do. I buy them simply because I love the models more than I love the money (unlike some of you out there trying to make a profit out of this hobby, I’m not in this for the money).

Then again, I don’t live in the US and can’t walk into a mall and buy them off the shelf, neither can buy multiples of each model in order to make big bucks (like the folks on e-pay). And, most importantly, I cannot travel back in time. So other than using e-pay and getting scalped, I can’t see how anyone in my shoes could get themselves some of the most sought-after models.

And that’s why I get mad when the plane coming out of the box is pure BS. I really feel cheated and shortchanged then. Funny thing is, at least on e-pay you may see a pic of the actual model before you buy it. With online retailers you never know what you’re gonna get. (And, nope, that isn’t their fault. It’s the friggin’ manufacturers’. But that’s another story…)

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:33 am

I never even knew this paint scheme was out until recently - apparently, it was at K Mart???

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:16 am

Kmart?? I got mine at walmart

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:33 am

Our own Grunt made this GREAT 1/18 Scale database:
http://www.sshqdb.com/coppermine/

He has pics and info on 21st Century, BBI, Admiral and Power Team Elite 1/18 scale items - Planes, Tanks, Vehicles, Figures.

It is an invaluable tool when you are looking for an older 1/18 scale products, trying to determine where a pouch on a figure goes, which came first the chicken or the egg, etc...

I can't tell you how many times I have used it for referrence purposes. 21st Century's website use to have all their 1/18 products listed, but they do not anymore.
BBI has some information, but not all.

Admiral is up to date.

But all in all it serves as a great tool for the newer collectors to see ALL the items that have been out since this started in 2000.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:50 am

I've seen some of the older pieces at one of my local hobby shops. I know I've seen a couple Spits. The NKK for sure. It's like stepping into a little time warp seeing some of the stuff they have. Heck, they even had a Bradley.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:53 am

I wish we had a hobby shop like that around here.
I fly cartoon airplanes

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:46 am

remember to check your local army/navy stores, too- I had luck with one here. It had the green w/yellow tail dora, some shermans, a new huff, the current p-38, and some older 1/18th vehicles- the assortment of humvees

OH, are y'all allowed to have army/navy stores in California??????

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: .

Post by Killerf6 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:38 am

mikeg wrote: OH, are y'all allowed to have army/navy stores in California??????
I believe that they are allowed they just don't seem to do that well here. I'm not even sure that we still have an army surplus store. And I believe that the proper spelling is Commiefornia. :D
I fly cartoon airplanes

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:56 am

mikeg wrote:Kmart?? I got mine at walmart

yeah the seller mentioned K mart in the listing. If it was at WalMart...yet another item I never saw by me :roll:

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:16 am

Anybody know who brujojimbo (the ebay id) is? I have seen him bidding on many high priced XD items. Not that I am trying to slam the guy---I just want to know why he is willing to pay so much.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:36 pm

...and add to the fact that even though the D-Day Spitfire never went to the online retailers like the other 3 types, it saw only a limited and haphazard distribution at Wal Mart. I never saw one and neither did alot of other boardmembers :wink:

I'm really glad I got my DWK Spit recently online (in addition to the NKK one I got at Wal Mart) given their abscence from the markets now!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:02 pm

Killerf6 wrote:
mikeg wrote: OH, are y'all allowed to have army/navy stores in California??????
I believe that they are allowed they just don't seem to do that well here. I'm not even sure that we still have an army surplus store. And I believe that the proper spelling is Commiefornia. :D
They don't call it the "left coast" for nothing...

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:03 pm

hmmm, think I'll be listing two of those this weekend! lol and more than likely wouldn't get more than what I originally paid for them which if memory serves me correct, they were clearanced for $18.88 when I snagged three, many years ago.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:04 pm

There was one on e-bay a couple of weeks ago . I think that it fetched only $75 !! I was lucky I went up to Va about 4 years ago and they had 3 of them also winter Tiger tanks. I picked up 2 of those.It sure was a pain getting those things back on the plane but well worth it. :wink:

That was the Wal-Mart in Fredericksburg on Rt 3. :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:30 pm

I don't what it is, but the dday spit just grabs yah.

I bought mine few years ago from a etailer that had specials they bought from "collectors" in Motorworks packaging.

DH

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:32 pm

King O' Fools wrote:
Killerf6 wrote: I believe that they are allowed they just don't seem to do that well here. I'm not even sure that we still have an army surplus store. And I believe that the proper spelling is Commiefornia. :D
They don't call it the "left coast" for nothing...
Actually, with the exception of San Francisco and the Los Angeles, much of the rest of California is pretty conservative. There's a couple good military surplus stores (plus an Air National Guard and Army base) in my town alone. The San Diego county phone book a couple years ago even had a picture of troops on exercise in Camp Pendleton right on its cover!

Besides, most of those left-wingers come from the east coast and always have. Look at Massachusetts, the rest of New England and New York - more people in those states combined than in California and quite a few left-wingers. Further, don't even get me started on the patriotism South... Afterall, those states did in fact try to form their own country once upon a time, with its own president, congress and army, to say the least of remaining loyal to the USA... :P

My apologies for the biting rant, but I had to set a few things straight in regards to this east-coast-centric country of ours :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Whooaaah.....easy, Sunshine!!

we here the occasional horror-humor stories from your state and we love you anyway. What a ridiculous idea to dock a historical battleship on your coast anyway- what, do ya'll love war or something? Maybe we could get in depth up to the minute news on the mideast, etc. instead of the pride of the west coast- parisbrittanyoj(again)lindseyfeinsteinpeloso- etal. Just shake your head and sigh.

As a once active re-enactor, I'm mighty glad the war of northern aggression turned out the way it did- I believe all saw the inherent
bravery and courage each side displayed- I think the healing was hastened by the populace seeing the worst and the best in both militaries.
I also think this helped to cement feelings that would not allow this to happen again in this country. Like I said, the right outcome occurred; who knows what might have happened if Lee had taken the big and little roundtops at Gettysburg and chased the Yanks back to Baltimore and...

Enough of that, ciao or toodles to ya, or whatever

Oh, I got all four spits at local walmarts, I like them, too.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 pm

WGP Klaus:

If you’re selling them D-Day Spits, I’m (obviously) interested :-)

I’m really bugged by the fact that most folks on e-pay won’t ship worldwide. It makes it even harder to collect discontinued, out-of-stock items.

Ok, political aside:

This is only a perception, but it seems to me that “rural” California has more in common with upstate New York or Bexar County, TX than it has with the MoveOn antiwar freaks in Pelosistan. In fact, I remember watching Reagan’s funeral motorcade on TV a few years back and the people there were lining the streets in his honor. (Don’t think they were supporters of Gray Davis, but I may be mistaken.)

On the other hand, there was a banner at an antiwar protest rally held in San Francisco during the initial phase of Iraqi Freedom that literally read: “We support our troops when they shoot their officers.” Such. Nice. People… Really makes you want to feed them à la Saddam feet first into a shredder.

Wonder what would have happened to them if they had tried to pull a similar gig in Bakersfield (or Smalltown, USA for that matter) instead of Berkeley or downtown Frisco. Besides, I hear the progressives don’t dig Buck Owens either. (Too bad, I guess. We’ll have to shoot them! Shoot them, I say! Ok, leave them alone with John “Taser” Kerry. That’ll teach them!)

So, yep, it’s mostly a cliché, but for some strange reason people love poking fun at liberals. And most don’t even know who Dennis Kucinich is…

But as Rodney King would say: “Can’t we all get along?”

HardenSteel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by HardenSteel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:29 pm

I hope that I'm not stating the obvious. However, If you want a D-Day Spitfire - given what prices they are fetching on E-bay, get ANY 1/18 Spitfire and paint it.

That is what modelling is all about. Create your own. Find a picture or a version of the plane you admire and recreate it. Mask the plane off for the various colors, in the pattern that you've selected. Paint one colour at a time. Let it dry. Use dullcoat to protect, or use a bit of future floor polish, tint panel lines, weather to taste. And you will have something that is far superior to the 'off the shelf' purchase.

BTY, I did get my D-Day Spitfire ages ago, because I know this would happen.

Now, if they would only take my advice and make the Harrier and the Typhoon or Tempest, (not to mention a Churchill Crocodile and a Comet), they'd have a few more top sellers in my humble opinion.

Oh, that felt good to get that off my chest.

Oh yes, the world really does need a mosquito now!

HD

MG-42

"D-Day" Spitfire ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:10 am

"The K-Mart brand model must be a ( type-O ) because I've never seen an XD anything , as well as any 21st. product being sold there for that matter".

I'm lucky to have all 4 Spitfires myself. ... I did have , at one time in fact , the "D-Day" one I found on clearance in late "winter" of '05 for $33.00 bucks ,.. but I sold it last year because the door where the pilot climbs in was broken at one end of it's hinges. I tried everything I could to fix it , but it was beyond reproach , so I sold it.

"I was indeed lucky , to find a replacement" , Thanks to Kevin "raiderad6". 8) = :D

My 2-cents !

Mitch v MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:18 am

WGP Klaus wrote:hmmm, think I'll be listing two of those this weekend! lol and more than likely wouldn't get more than what I originally paid for them which if memory serves me correct, they were clearanced for $18.88 when I snagged three, many years ago.
If you're sellin - I'm interested in buyin :wink:

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:25 pm

Forget the D-Day Spit for a second, how about a car payment?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTIMATE-SOLDIER-RA ... dZViewItem

I wonder if the reserve has been met?

I love XD, but there's a lot of other stuff out there I could spend close to $500 on.

Old XD has been go for crazy prices as of late.