Collecting VS. Investing

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Collecting VS. Investing

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:15 am

I will be the first to admit I love my 1/18 scale figures, planes, tanks and vehicles!!!
But, for the right price, I would be willing to part with almost any of my items.
Yet, there are others that would not part with ANY of their collection for ANY price.

So, with the sudden surge (can I use that word outside of congress/whitehouse?) of high demand for older XD items for CRAZY money, how much is enough to let go of that beloved XD item???
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:26 am

what I have is not for sale at any price :D

phil

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:28 am

I'm a collector, but I'm also a capitalist. Anybody offering a very tempting price for any piece of my collection will most likely get it.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:33 am

I’m going through this very dilemma right now. I had decided earlier that my XD collection was to be untouchable. I have since sold my dear 54 Bel Air and got rid of my nice Honda for an older car in an attempt to save some money up. I sold off one of my Hot wheels collections and now I’m seriously eying my XD collection as the next thing to liquidate. I won’t be selling it all that’s for sure since some items have little to no re-sale value; but the ones that go for big bucks I may be letting go. I guess with buying some 1:1 items lately I have lost some of my attachment to this stuff but it still stinks to see it go. I think if you want to sell off some stuff now seems to be a good time. Just my 2 cents.

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:37 am

I feel as if my collection is priceless, to me anyways. I would not sell it for any price. :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:59 am

My customs and hard won (Ebay) pieces are not for sale. Even though a custom may not be entirely accurate (DAK 251 Ausf D) or especially complex (simple repaint and new markings for instance), I've put a little bit of me into the item. If nothing else, a complete repaint consists of hand brushing until I break down and get an airbrush. That's too much work to let go. At least for the money simple customs such as mine would fetch. Now, if someone were to offer me the price of a new airbrush and compressor for one of my Panzer IVs? Then they can have it. That's about it though. 8)

This happens to carry over to just about anything I collect BTW. Guns, CDs, etc. I suppose I'm a hoarder at heart. :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:25 am

Everythings for sale! for the right price of course! :-)

Seriously though, I typically buy multiple copies of pretty much everything I "collect" with eventually selling or trading some of those extras to finance the purchase of new items, in mind. I do unfortunately have a tendency to buy large lots of items and get stuck with the fodder, which is ok, because they make excellent Birthday presents to nephews, and cousins :-) I'm just wishing parcel delivery over the pond weren't soo expensive as I've got two gentleman right now wanting to purchase several hundred pieces, but dont want to pay the absurd prices they're charging to ship overseas.

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:33 am

I go with the the theory that for the right price--it's for sale. Because, there is always another one to be had. I say this because of my experience with estate auctions. If you are willing to wait long enough you can find what you want for the right price. I have done that with 1:1 patches and medals and with furniture. Pretty much, if I buy something I want to steal it.

(Like I have 25 dollars in my turn of the century Kohler claw foot tub, including faucets. If tomorrow I didn't want it I know I could at least quadruple my money just in scrap medal value :twisted: )

So, yes, it is for sale. But, someone would have to meet my numbers. Now, whether or not my personal numbers are reasonable or not---that is a different story.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:43 am

I'm a collector and an investor. When I find good deals, I will buy multiples and sell them when the price is right. I've been doing that for years in whatever I collect, being my collection of guns, XD, 1/6 or 1/1 MV's.

I can never see a time when I would sell my personal XD and 1/6 collection, especially the custom pieces. I'll probably kick the bucket before that ever comes up.......then some are going in the box with me 8)

BTW - my kids got the bug of collecting from me and Mrs. TTT, who has collected oak furniture for longer that you guys have been around.. My son has a collection of Jeeps, quads and trikes, that he restores and sells when he tires of them and he is in the process of buying a package deal of three M-37's. He will keep the best and sell or part out the other two. He already has my old M-37 that he is turning into a rock crawler but he wants one straight military. He figures that next year when the FDNY promotes him to Capt., he will have plenty of time and money to play with the big toys. My big guy collects cars and my daughter has an apartment full of toys, from SW up to LOR with odd pieces thrown in like a complete set of 4' tall "Kiss" dolls and her BF collects Samari swords...they fight for wall and shelf space.... 8)

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:37 pm

A little bit of both here. I too buy multiples of what I like so parting with a few here and there is not painful if the price is right.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:25 pm

Would I sell my 1/18th collection? Yes but only certain planes. As for Marines Dream, my F6F Hellcat, Avenger and HHH P-51? Not for sale at any price. Otherwise the rest would be for sale at the right price.

:)
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:23 pm

This is a good question. The only xd I have ever sold has been on e-bay. It was a original grey Tiger tank. Mint in the box . I got $45 for it . It should have gone to at least $65 back then but did not. I have yet to sell any of my XD. I really do not want to. I have traded and sold other militaria stuff. Some of the stuff I have sold is a small fortune now. I wish that I would have kept it. So now I am a little apprehensive to sell my XD. There is one thing that sucks it is the DOOOOOH factor. :shock:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:33 pm

I have purchased multiples of everything I have in my XD collection and usually sell them when the items are in demand. However, I do have a few items that I probably will not part with even though they did or are now commanding huge re-sale prices.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:04 pm

I never really got into this hobby for the investment potential of its products. They're simply too unpredictable, as a plane (like the BBI PH Zero) is being discounted one moment and then sells for big bucks the next and will probably go down again if another scheme gets released. Instead, I collect these planes and tanks - to the point of it being an obsession - for the historical value and sheer joy of them :D

That said, there are parts of my collection I would be willing to part with, yet there are other parts I will never sell. For example, I sold a very nice 1:18 "Petie 2nd" retooled P-51, but kept my original "Lou IV" plane. "Lou IV" has the distinction of being the airplane that started it all for me and is one plane I don't want to leave my collection since it was the first. Some of my planes just have more of a special spot in my mind and thus will be kept over others.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:16 am

I've been buying the pieces I think I'll like, which is most (but not all) of what's come out in 1:18 since 2000. Sometimes, right away or maybe after a while, I might decide I really don't want or like a particular item, and I sell it off. Not to make money (though I do try to make a profit if I can), but really just to free up space for new pieces.

But mostly I hang onto them because they're just so friggin' great to have! Ten years ago I never would have dreamed I'd own such a fantastic collection of military toys. Really adds spice to life. I'm in this hobby for the sheer fun of it.

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:42 am

The only way I would sell a piece of my collection is if I don't like it or if I have another one :wink:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:49 am

I collect XD (and the other stuff I colllect) because it's cool as hell, not as an investment. The day may come when I get tired or a piece or need to thin the herd and make space, and I will hope to break even or better, but that's not why I collect. And there is some comfort in knowing that if I ever needed quick cash, I could sell part of my collection for a tidy sum pretty. But it really looks a lot better filling my office and my living room (and expanding through the house, it seems!).
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:48 pm

I buy it cause it's FUN and it's WWII. My Dad fought in WWII and it's like having a part of history.
Sometimes I buy too much, feel guilty about spending all that money, and end up selling it here for much less than I paid for it. Then a few days go by and I beat myself up for selling it then go out and try to buy back what I sold. Back and forth, back and forth...sigh...
I've also dropped some GOOD pieces and have been trying to glue those back.
So now I'm back to just keeping what I have. Almost sold off a bag of stuff of which I KNOW I would've BEAT MYSELF UP SILLY!!!! (thanks, Razor for turning me down)!!
As of now, I'm in this to stay! I LOVE these little guys!!
I also LOVE PTE of which I know I wouldn't be able to give them away! This stuff is just fun for me to have!! If they grow in price as I get older-I use the money for the retirement home...and if they don't grow in price, I'll take 'em all with me to the retirement home.

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:57 pm

For me its collecting, this 1:18 th line came along at the right time. I've been building models for most of my life, as I got older the scale got larger as did the price. I was into and still make 1:16th Verlinden figures and kits but at $20.00-$30.00 a figure and $200-$300 a tank it gets a little costly.
So now I've gone from models to toys to save some $$$$$$ NOT!!! Over the last 8 years 21st's products have reached a point in quality that I call them models and would not sell one of them.
Normandy