POST ALL HELLCAT FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:15 am

I am strongly considering a contest to give away my new Hellcat! I don't like the idea of it taking space away from something else.

The wings are really buggin me. I don't have a single Avenger in my collection with wing gap like I got on this model. I wonder if I need to try more of the tips others have posted to try to fix it more. If it doesn't improve it might have to go! -I really wanted to have a Hellcat too...

I will keep you posted.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:04 pm

You may need to push in the hinge piece a little more. I experienced the large wing-gap on my plane as well, until I found that I could push in the hinge piece further and thus close the gap. The wing on my plane holds quite well now. The control surfaces are another issue, however, and superglue has been my best friend :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:23 pm

You give me hope then! I am going to see what I can do about that darn gap. You beat me to the punch on the super glue idea for the flaps. If I can get the gap fixed then I will bust out some super glue.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Got my Hellcat the other day. Great job BBI. I thought I would hate the folding wing feature but it aint as bad as I thought it would be. The only negative I have to say about it is there was a gap on the spine of the fusalge and on the underside of the plane which I corrected with modelers putty. Other then that the wait was worth it.

Again great job BBI.

:)
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Black_Dragon_One

hellcat

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:43 am

got my hellcat form Johnathan... great peace of work.. i love the detail of the cockpit... the wing folding work fine on mine...

over all I love this peace... waiting for the sky-raider......and the f4...

those will be sweet....
whats up doc....

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:56 am

Super gluing the wing hinges worked very well for me also. The wings sit much better now.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:54 am

I am in love with the Hellcat! I think it is one of the best planes produces. I most impressed with the quality paint job and compared to bbi’s other aircraft that molded in the color. I also had a problem with the dihedral but a little super glue on wing where it connected to the fuselage fixed that.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:17 pm

I also had a problem with the wing dehedral and corrected it with super glue Aviatornut like you did. I agree its a magnificent Cat and one that was worth the wait. The only thing now I dont like is the tires which I would love to replace with Avenger tires if I could only get the Avenger tires off that is! They would be perfect for the Hellcat.

8)

The Old Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hellcat Tires

Post by The Old Man » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:51 am

MightyMustang wrote:I also had a problem with the wing dehedral and corrected it with super glue Aviatornut like you did. I agree its a magnificent Cat and one that was worth the wait. The only thing now I dont like is the tires which I would love to replace with Avenger tires if I could only get the Avenger tires off that is! They would be perfect for the Hellcat.

8)
Go to hobby store that has flying models. In the section on replacement wheel/tires match up the diameter of the tire. If everything wasn't in storage in Texas, I could tell you the make and Number of the tire to use. On the wheel of the F4F, take vice grips, twist the hub "screw" around a while - pull - and it comes out. Cut off the tire. Saw the wheel vertically in two. Sand down the inside of each wheel half to expose the spokes. Pop the rubber tire off the wheel it comes with. Match the wheel to the rubber tire (have to remove some of the center part of the tire with a new blade). Paint the inside of the wheels black. Glue the wheel half to the tire and then to the other wheel half, Insert "hub screw - with a dab of glue on the end to reattach to the strut. Inflate tire to specs - either land use or carrier use. Reattch the brake lines. Pressure check to spec. Test taxi the aircraft to insure function. Sign off on repairs. Turn the aircraft over for test flying.

Various sizes work for F4U (both brands), P-51 (both brands), P-47, P-38

The reason all of these are so thin is the idea they have to fit into the wheel well - only the P-51 will not fit after mods.

I only have 32 planes to modify - but it do make a difference.
And - you are so right - the TBF wheels are worth it. But - to buy one to just use the wheels - well - can I interest you in a bridge ?
Neil Hesse

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Hellcat Tires

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:26 pm

The Old Man wrote:
MightyMustang wrote:I also had a problem with the wing dehedral and corrected it with super glue Aviatornut like you did. I agree its a magnificent Cat and one that was worth the wait. The only thing now I dont like is the tires which I would love to replace with Avenger tires if I could only get the Avenger tires off that is! They would be perfect for the Hellcat.

8)
Go to hobby store that has flying models. In the section on replacement wheel/tires match up the diameter of the tire. If everything wasn't in storage in Texas, I could tell you the make and Number of the tire to use. On the wheel of the F4F, take vice grips, twist the hub "screw" around a while - pull - and it comes out. Cut off the tire. Saw the wheel vertically in two. Sand down the inside of each wheel half to expose the spokes. Pop the rubber tire off the wheel it comes with. Match the wheel to the rubber tire (have to remove some of the center part of the tire with a new blade). Paint the inside of the wheels black. Glue the wheel half to the tire and then to the other wheel half, Insert "hub screw - with a dab of glue on the end to reattach to the strut. Inflate tire to specs - either land use or carrier use. Reattch the brake lines. Pressure check to spec. Test taxi the aircraft to insure function. Sign off on repairs. Turn the aircraft over for test flying.

Various sizes work for F4U (both brands), P-51 (both brands), P-47, P-38

The reason all of these are so thin is the idea they have to fit into the wheel well - only the P-51 will not fit after mods.

I only have 32 planes to modify - but it do make a difference.
And - you are so right - the TBF wheels are worth it. But - to buy one to just use the wheels - well - can I interest you in a bridge ?
I have a busted up Avenger I got from a freind so thats why I want the wheels from it. I would never take the wheels from a new Avenger. I may be crazy but not that crazy.

:?

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:35 pm

HOw many years ago was it that we saw just the rudder of the bbi Hellcat in a picture from Toy Fair? I am just trying to figure out how long it actually took them to get it from concept to out in the stores.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:40 pm

Quixote511 wrote:HOw many years ago was it that we saw just the rudder of the bbi Hellcat in a picture from Toy Fair? I am just trying to figure out how long it actually took them to get it from concept to out in the stores.
A lot longer then it took Grumman to make the real thing. :D
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:08 pm

I think it took BBI about 2 years to get it to the public. I could be wrong.

:)

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:20 pm

lol..................so basically if bbi, 21st and admiral all declared war on each other we'd have a new model every month!
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Jay wrote:lol..................so basically if bbi, 21st and admiral all declared war on each other we'd have a new model every month!
LOL yup,,,,, :lol:

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:48 am

Or you could just leave them as is and spend your time on important things.

DH

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:26 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:57 am

I left the wheels on my F6F as is and decided to detail other parts. Almost done.

:?

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:48 am

Finally picked mine up from MTS this afternoon @ the WWI Fly-In @ WPAFB. I love it. And, I think I am going to stay with this sort of scheme. Having seen the pics of the cat's mouth, I am just not all that into it. The USN had the right idea--leave the nose art to the AAF b/c they do it better :P
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:50 pm

I finally opened mine up. I got it from Aviator nut a few days ago. Fantastic looking plane but the gear will not stay down. Other than that it is now my favorite. That is untill that B-25 ever makes it. So I guess for 2 years from now it will be my favorite . As things go around in XD land. :?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:03 am

pickelhaube to fix your gear problem of not staying down all you need to do is pull your wiing off and then put your wheel down. then put your wing back on while you have your wheels down. the tab on the wings locks the wheel down and to put your wheels up you need to the same thing over with your wheels up.
i hope it helps buddy. :lol: :D

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:14 pm

Still having trouble with one wheel assembly just wont stay locked, slightest movement and its loose. I also had a broken auxiliary fuel tank, and if anyone wants or finds a spare one, please let me know, I need to buy another someplace.
Thanks
JOC

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:32 pm

It sound like Bbi took a step backwards on their Hellcat, to me it sounds like it is plagued with all types of problems regarding proper detail in the wing fold and landing gear problems, and the problems with the landing gear staying in the down position sound more like a failure in the engineering aspects.

What I do like from what I can see in pictures is the cockpit and fuselage detail.
I think bbi should redo the whole wing assembly and get it right, but from their track record I doubt it they don’t really listen to us, if they did we would have had extra ordnance for our f-16’s and F-18’s…..Sorry but I feel let down by bbi.

I know many of you are happy with it and don’t want to knock bbi, but this is how I feel. What bothers me is they did not include the rockets and expect us to buy them on our own dime or to use our corsair’s rockets.

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:42 pm

I am a big fan of the BBI Corsair. Do you guys think the new Hellcat is an equal to the Corsair? I am thinking of getting a Hellcat, just wondering how it compares to the Corsair?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:40 pm

You can check the pictures at the beginning of this thread... However, I would be tempted to say that I like the Corsair better. The Hellcat boasts the better paintscheme, weathering, panel detailing, and cockpit, but the Corsair is not that far off. Further, the Corsair's flaps and other control surfaces are not quite as problematic as on the Hellcat. Just a few of my thoughts, however, both really are great planes it the BBI Hellcat may be the only Hellcat we see in 1:18 for some time :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."