1/18 Pavehawk Custom Mods

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:01 pm

iflabs wrote:I may have missed it, but is the kit going to arrive prepainted?
Yes I was planing to do basic flat black but I tell you , the grey primer I use is a almost perfect match to the grey back ground on the Pavehawk's paint job. :wink:

So you can get your choice. Black , grey or unpainted white .

Is that custom or what ? :D :D :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:45 pm

Matthew that fuel probe looks great! From the time I first thought of getting a Pavehawk model, I wondered if you would be willing to make the refueling probe. You have nailed it my friend.... :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:06 pm

Man! Thats comming out great, I definitely want one:)

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:58 pm

:shock:.....beautiful work as always.... :wink: :D :D :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:51 am

Looks great so far!
When you say you still have to do the mounting bracket do you mean the "horshoe looking" bracket that mounts the probe to the cab in front of the pilot's door? Do you know how you are going to do the attachment for that piece to the cab? It looks like a small piece to glue to the cab. Will it just be cosmetic and not actually be connected to the cab? Or will we have to drill small holes for some type of plug tip on the arms of the bracket?
It appears the probe wouldn't need any more support than you have in the picture above, but for more scale accuracy it would be nice to have the bracket.
Just curious.
pcoughran
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:10 pm

pcoughran wrote:Looks great so far!
When you say you still have to do the mounting bracket do you mean the "horshoe looking" bracket that mounts the probe to the cab in front of the pilot's door? Do you know how you are going to do the attachment for that piece to the cab? It looks like a small piece to glue to the cab. Will it just be cosmetic and not actually be connected to the cab? Or will we have to drill small holes for some type of plug tip on the arms of the bracket?
It appears the probe wouldn't need any more support than you have in the picture above, but for more scale accuracy it would be nice to have the bracket.
Just curious.
pcoughran
I will make the front brace. I will try to tackel that today. As far as the main brace stub it is pretty tight. But you will eather have to glue it or put a tiny screw on the bottom of it. With the the length of the probe you will have to do something to keep it on otherwise if you were to bump it it would fall off.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:59 pm

Well I think that it is almost done. I think that I probably will not put the hydrolic line on it. There is not way to cast the little rings and when I CA glued them almost all of them popped off. So the boom without the hydro line is the way it will be done when production starts. I also made the hard point plugs. These really finish the look with the probe.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:14 pm

Matthew, that looks damn cool! I can't wait to add the prove to my Pavehawk.
Paul Hebert

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:36 pm

Hey Matt, that fuel probe looks fantastic! These are really going to make the Pavehawk look like a Pavehawk. Really fine work.

I thought I would bounce one more idea off of you, as if you didn't have enough to do with the Pavehawk project. How about a more realistic set of main gear wheels? As you can see, the bbi wheels are severely lacking in detail. The hubs don't have any depth and there are no lug nuts like on the real bird. They are probably my biggest gripe with the bbi Blackhawk.

:?:

-Rob

"You have to go out, but you don't have to come back".

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:26 pm

USCGSARdog wrote:Hey Matt, that fuel probe looks fantastic! These are really going to make the Pavehawk look like a Pavehawk. Really fine work.

I thought I would bounce one more idea off of you, as if you didn't have enough to do with the Pavehawk project. How about a more realistic set of main gear wheels? As you can see, the bbi wheels are severely lacking in detail. The hubs don't have any depth and there are no lug nuts like on the real bird. They are probably my biggest gripe with the bbi Blackhawk.

-Rob
Your killing me.

Got any close up pics ?

BTW Did you guys notice the gray primer ? It is a perfect match to the gray on the Pave.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:34 pm

Yeah, the grey looks really good. Now just have to match those funny looking greens. Don't think those will be standard Air Force colors. They both look too light.
For those doing the DAP, the black is an easy solution.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:01 pm

pcoughran wrote:Yeah, the grey looks really good. Now just have to match those funny looking greens. Don't think those will be standard Air Force colors. They both look too light.
For those doing the DAP, the black is an easy solution.
Just 2 colors black and gray :wink:

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:06 pm

Again......amazzzzing!!

:wink: :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:19 am

Well I have been looking at the boom attachment . The way I have it buggs me. Were I made it stop on top of the pod right under the window is were the gear pod starts to make its curve. The reason for this is the way I made the attchment pod slides in from the front stradeling the foot post.

I could wrap the whole pod and slide the attchment from the side to the fusalage . By doing this the top would look like a solid unit and would probably hold the probe good enough so that you would not have to screw or glue it.

The down side is that it will be a bigger slot on the bottom to go around the step post. Also if I wrap it in order to make it a solid wrap I will ( or the Modeler) will have to cut off the navigation light.
So your opion is needed.

1. Don't worry about it and move on.
2. Wrap it and forget about the nav light.
3. Wrap it and stop short of the nav ligt.

I need your input.

[/img][/quote]

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:23 am

I say it looks good as is. No way I'm hacking the nav light off.

Can someone with a pavehawk in their possesion please post the matching Tamiya acrylic or Model Master #'s to match the green colors?

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 am

1. Don't worry about it and move on.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:19 am

I think the full cover would look better overall, but don't want you to go through more trouble. Is the Nav light glued on and could easily be "popped" off with an exacto or would you actually have to "cut" it off? If you did the full cover I'd want to be able to put the Nav light back on on top of the full probe mount.
It looks pretty good as is though so if the consensus is to leave alone - drive on.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:27 am

Matthew I am not sure how hard it would be to remove the nav light without tearing it up. Sometimes they really glue these small parts on well.
Paul Hebert

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:28 am

Full cover would look better, but I could make the shorter one work as well.
Good trades: C00per, pcb122605, digger, vulgarvulture X2, General Blasto X2, Light.Inf.Scout, V2 Man, Sentinel, xddave, grunt1

[img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/230/230828/folders/190465/2439227TAMBOSIGsmall.JPG[/img]

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:16 am

Isn't the external gun mount going to affect the Nav Light as well as isn't it attached to the wheel pylon as well?
I was rooting for the internal gun mount but if I remember correctly you were going to do the external first(only?).

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:03 pm

pcoughran wrote:Isn't the external gun mount going to affect the Nav Light as well as isn't it attached to the wheel pylon as well?
I was rooting for the internal gun mount but if I remember correctly you were going to do the external first(only?).
Yes the nav light will have to be omited when using the external gun mount. I will be doing both gun mounts inside and out as well as both radomes the center and port side mounts .

I could make the probe mount longer and stop it shy of the nav light but it will interfear with the gun mount. That is why I am kicking it to you guys. Nothing is ever easy. If I just covered the nav light that area would be were the gun mount will be.

Ping pong customizing sucks.

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:25 pm

I'll trade the light for the gun. Can you make the gun mount attach to the probe mount? 2 birds 1 stone kind of thing? It's going to look incredible no matter how you do it, so do what you need to do to bring it to market at a reasonable cost. When it starts costing more than a bird on ebay, sales might rapidly decrease. Do you have any cost estimates yet?

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 pm

MAN THATS GREAT. almost tempts me to get one, but i prefer ww2, but there can be exceptions :wink:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
USCGSARdog wrote:Hey Matt, that fuel probe looks fantastic! These are really going to make the Pavehawk look like a Pavehawk. Really fine work.

-Rob
Your killing me.

Got any close up pics ?

BTW Did you guys notice the gray primer ? It is a perfect match to the gray on the Pave.
Oh no Matt, I wouldn't want to kill you.....unless of course for some reason you decide to shelf this project. :lol:

Here is a pic of an MH-60J. The wheel is the same used on all H-60 variants, however I don't believe the Army and Air Force helos have the tie-down in the hub. Behind the tie-down is a large hex nut. The wheel looks pretty straight forward, with the biggest difference compared to the bbi wheel being its depth.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mic ... _of_62.jpg

-Rob

"You have to go out, but you don't have to come back".

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:16 pm

I think it will look good either way you choose to go with it. Lot of help I am for decision making...... :D

Seriously though, I think that no matter what you do, it will look awesome. I'll make it work one way or the other. :wink: :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!