Product Review: 32x P-51 B/C

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Product Review: 32x P-51 B/C

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:33 pm

I got my 32x P-51C from BadCat today :D Although BCA and other webstores have pictures up, I thought I'd post a detailed review for those of you considering getting this next addition to the Xtreme Wings lineup. First, a picture of the boxed product:

The P-51 assembles in two major parts: the wing section and fuselage. Additional parts include the radiator intake scoop and the hardpoints for the droptanks. There was no radio mast or pitot tube. The aircraft feels quite sturdy, moreso than other recent 32x releases such as the Bf-109s and the Corsairs.

The paintjob on mine is largely flawless, which I think is pretty good for a random 32x plane that I did not personally choose. (I won't tell you how many 32x Bf-109s I went through at Wal Mart to find one that had an excellent paintscheme :wink: ) The stripes all line up, there is no overspray, and only a couple very minor dings.

The features include an opening cockpit, movable flaps, a movable rudder, retractrable gear, spinning prop, and optional drop tanks. The control surfaces (on mine) are not too loose. The canopy doesn't really seem to "open" as it sort of just comes off. I can't remember if the Malcom hood slid back or opened to the side on the P-51B/C? The landing gear retract easily and the doors close smoothly into the fuselage. They are a little bit wobbly, but look to be in correct proportion to the rest of the plane. The main struts have the forward rake and the tires have detailed treads. The wings seem to have the correct dihedral, but judging from the 21c 1:48 scale P-51 B/C, they seem a little fat... The below photo is a bit misleading as my camera angle is just above the "head-on" position in front of the plane.

The pilot figure also seems to be a new sculpt, though it looks very similar to the Corsair pilot. It has movable arms and head. The cockpit is nicely detailed with painted instruments and controls, but it is not over-done. It is not the most detailed cockpit in a 32x plane, but it is certainly not the worst!

All in all, this is a great new 32x plane from 21c and I eagerly await getting one with the B-style canopy to add some variety 8) I am very glad 21c decided to revisit the Mustang as this certainly exceeds the original 32x plane in terms of quality and detail! I would not say it is the best plane in the 32x line (that, for me, would be either the Bf-109F/G, Stuka, or Corsair) however, it is still an excellent model and well worth the price, even online. Enjoy the review and I'm anxious to hear what you all think :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ChairmanMilo
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by ChairmanMilo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:41 pm

That is one GORGEOUS P-51. The pilot appears to be one of the better efforts by 21C - I know that 1/2 of my 1:32 soldiers are of questionable quality at best.

From pictures I've seen, the Malcolm hood that the British used slid back. I know for sure that I've seen a Spitfire with its canopy pulled back.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks for the review and the pictures. I am looking forward to getting that Mustang. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:52 pm

:shock: I got to get me one of those! Thanks for taking the time to show some pics.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:54 pm

that pilot looks more american than british to me, but otherwise it's a cool looking bird. Would look nice in 1/18. :wink:

Yes, Malcom hood slid back.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:53 pm

Here is some info on the pilot for anyone interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugeniusz_Horbaczewski

I just wish they would improve the pizza-cutter wheels but otherwise it's a great model and I want one!!
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:54 pm

Rowsdower wrote:Here is some info on the pilot for anyone interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugeniusz_Horbaczewski
...and the article even has a picture of him with the plane our model replicates :wink:

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:12 pm

Cool guy with a good kill tally. Too bad he was shot down and KIA. :cry:

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:15 pm

I hope this Mustang hits Walmart soon. I really like the early model P-51s.
Paul Hebert

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks Tman. Does the box sticker tell what paint scheme number this is listed as? S1 or S2? I'm curious why 21C has only revealed 2 for this model so far. I hope they aren't cutting back, because I'm still holding out lots of hope for a Shangri La paint scheme on this one...

Thanks,

Michael

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:21 pm

This P-51 is listed as S2. I would imagine the P-51B on the box picture - the "Bald Eagle" plane - is the S1 version. Given that the Bf-109F/G has 7 repaints, the Zero 7, the Corsair 5, and so on, I think there will be many more P-51B/Cs in some really cool schemes to come :wink:

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:03 pm

Found the P-51B/C in the British scheme and the Bald Eagle at the Bloomington, Illinois Walmart today.

Ray

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:43 pm

Gosh darnit, good find!! I would love to get something new in my area instead of just the left overs from the midwest :P At least they're out now - I want to get the Bald Eagle plane :wink:

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:57 pm

So they should hit down here in the Southeast by Christmas. :lol: :lol:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:18 am

Now I get to eat my words from yesterday... I unexpectedly found one each of the "Bald Eagle" and "RAF" P-51B/Cs today at a Fresno Wal Mart. I certainly DID NOT expect to find them there and picked up both :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:07 pm

Sorry about the double post, however, here's some pictures and a little review of the "Bald Eagle" P-51B.

This is the S1 version and the plane is nearly identical to the "RAF" version save for the canopy and the paintscheme. The aircraft of Lt. Robert Eckfeldt of the 474th Fighter Squadron of the 361st Fighter group of the 8th Air Force is replicated.

My plane has an awesome paintjob, which is even better since it was the only plane of its type on the shelf :wink: There is little smudging on the invasion stripes and no serious scratches or glue stains. This is my favorite paintscheme of the two P-51s thus far, though the RAF version is also quite pretty.

The aircraft comes with all the same parts & accessories as the RAF plane, save for the canopy parts. The pilot figure is identical.

On the "Bald Eagle" plane, the canopy can be displayed in the closed position or removed and two pieces inserted to show it in the open position (see below). This is exactly like the canopy on the 1:48 P-51B/Cs made by 21c. Although this means one now has more parts floating about, the optional-positioned canopy works quite well. It is more robust and clean-looking than a single working piece would have been. The B-type canopy also stays on the plane much better than the malcolm hood on the RAF P-51, which tends to fall off. This is due to to pegs on either side that fit into slots on the cockpit walls.

All in all, I am very pleased with both of the new 32x P-51B/Cs. I would not rate them as "the best 32x plane to date," that honor going to the Bf-109F/G and the Stuka for me. The P-51s are, however, well detailed, have great paintschemes, and are affordable. It will be interesting to see what the next paintschemes will be for the P-51. 21c has a myriad of cool schemes to choose from 8)

Coreyeagle48

P-51B

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi Guys

An authentic example of one of these showed up at the Millville Airshow this year. Enjoy!

Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:16 pm

These planes are really well done except for the canopies. I have the Brit version and it is just as nice as T-man descibes it. Much on par with the FW-190s, FU-4s and the latest Me109s put out by 21st.

It is too bad the canopies are such a weak spot. The play value is lost somewhat when the canopy falls off every time the plane does a roll. It is the same with the Corsairs, but at least the Corsairs could be modified to fit better and stay on.

21st continues to do nice work with the latest offerings. I personally would prefer fewer paint schemes and more new prototypes. The 1:18 side of the collection is slowly being edged out by my 32x with the multiple paint jobs. It would be hard to decide what schemes to do however...

TJM

rvlyssup
Private First Class
Private First Class

This plane is sweeter...

Post by rvlyssup » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:36 pm

Love this paint scheme...21st needs to make a 1/18 version.
Stang...Gun...Vag Nut.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:09 pm

That does look good and thanks for posting the detailed shots 8)

You are VERY LUCKY to have such a good selection of 21c stuff at TRU in So. Cal. Enjoy it while it lasts :P

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:23 pm

Cool looking Mustang. I am on the hunt for that one!
Paul Hebert

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:55 am

Good review tman and an RAF Mustang? I need one and must get one but I also need Bald Eagle and Shangri La. Now if only I can find them!

:(
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

MG-42

New P-51 B/C's

Post by MG-42 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:37 am

I just found the Polish P-51 B/C at WAL* MART , BEAUTIFUL D-DAY markings btw , along w/ the new Dozer Sherman , now in kit form. :D

I like "Bull Frog" too , as well as the new Me-262A-2 "Red B".
8)

The new Polish P-51 B/C , is by far + so far , my favorite of all P-51 Paint schemes. 8)

2nd.) is "Bull Frog"

3rd.) is the new Me-262A-2 "Red B"
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by der Vogelfänger » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:15 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Sorry about the double post, however, here's some pictures and a little review of the "Bald Eagle" P-51B.

This is the S1 version and the plane is nearly identical to the "RAF" version save for the canopy and the paintscheme. The aircraft of Lt. Robert Eckfeldt of the 474th Fighter Squadron of the 361st Fighter group of the 8th Air Force is replicated.

My plane has an awesome paintjob, which is even better since it was the only plane of its type on the shelf :wink: There is little smudging on the invasion stripes and no serious scratches or glue stains. This is my favorite paintscheme of the two P-51s thus far, though the RAF version is also quite pretty.

The aircraft comes with all the same parts & accessories as the RAF plane, save for the canopy parts. The pilot figure is identical.

On the "Bald Eagle" plane, the canopy can be displayed in the closed position or removed and two pieces inserted to show it in the open position (see below). This is exactly like the canopy on the 1:48 P-51B/Cs made by 21c. Although this means one now has more parts floating about, the optional-positioned canopy works quite well. It is more robust and clean-looking than a single working piece would have been. The B-type canopy also stays on the plane much better than the malcolm hood on the RAF P-51, which tends to fall off. This is due to to pegs on either side that fit into slots on the cockpit walls.

All in all, I am very pleased with both of the new 32x P-51B/Cs. I would not rate them as "the best 32x plane to date," that honor going to the Bf-109F/G and the Stuka for me. The P-51s are, however, well detailed, have great paintschemes, and are affordable. It will be interesting to see what the next paintschemes will be for the P-51. 21c has a myriad of cool schemes to choose from 8)
Wow....what a beauty!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the pix of this '51, too. Half of me wants to be flying that, the other half fears seeing it on my tail!

dV
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Unsere Mannschaft muß einfach gewinnen, und
plötzlich, Weltmeister Zwanzigvierzehn! (WM2014)

Danke Jungs!!

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:38 pm

Bald Eagle is one UGLY mamma jamma!! RAF 'Stang all the way! 8)