REVIEW: FOV Jagdpanther, S1 Normandy 1944

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

REVIEW: FOV Jagdpanther, S1 Normandy 1944

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 31, 2007 5:52 pm

Now that I have got some free time, I am taking a cue from board member ChairmanMilo and posting a similar-styled review for the FOV Jagdpanther. The Jagdpanther, with its streamlined, angular shape, is one of my favorite WWII German tanks, and in my opinion FOV has done a superb job replicating this vehicle 8)

The version that I recently purchased was the Normandy 1944 version. This particular paint scheme dates from 2004 and is not being re-released, though a few small retailers still have them in stock. The enthusiast version comes with a number of accessories, including the tools, tow cables, spare track links, side-skirts, jerry cans, oil cans, crate, beach obstacle, wall section, and commander figure. (The extra figures in the picture my own 21c figures that I added as riders.)

The tank is finished in an overall tan and green (panzergelb and olivgrun) camouflage, with heavy weathering. The weathering seems to vary with this tank as in some pictures of the boxed product, the tank appears to have much lighter weathering than mine. Not that I mind, however! The gun and gun mantlet did not receive the heavy weathering and even the green paint splotches that other parts of the tank received. This makes them stand out a little more.

The vehicle has been sculpted to include the zimmermitt paste, and this is scaled right. Other features such as handles, engine gratings, etc. are crisply detailed and give the vehicle a much more realistic look than the 21c Jagdpanther. The fact that the tools are separate pieces and not pre-fabricated parts adds to the realism. The schurtzen are optional and can be left on or off. They were a little difficult to attach, but on my vehicle, they stay on securely and I like the battle-worn appearance they present. A schurtzen panel has been left off on either side to show evidence of further use. The track links mount on racks along the side of the rear decking and stay on securely. The most annoying part were the tow-cables which come pre-formed in a rather stiff plastic. They cannot be stretched well, and I snapped one of mine! The weathering is well done, even on the running wheels. Mud splotches have been included on the wheels and parts of the tank such as the schurtzen and the fenders are bent and dented to show wear-and-tear. The underside is heavily weathered with simulated brown paint to simulate mud.

This tank has a lot of features, especially for an FOV vehicle! One can start with the rolling treads, removable accessories, and elevating main gun. The front machine gun can also swivel. Two of the top hatches open in the correct manner, as does the rear loader’s hatch and the engine cover. The Maybach engine has been detailed to the same level as it is on the FOV Kingtiger and Panther. One of the really neat features of the FOV Jagdpanther, however, is that an interior has been included. The interior is not extensively detailed, but does more-or-less capture the look of the interior of an actual Jagdpanther (see picture below). Mainly, the gun breach is detailed, with seats and what looks like the ammo storage along the walls. The interior is really only designed to be viewed from the open hatch and so what would be only the most visible parts were detailed. Still, this is more than one gets on most FOV vehicles as well as even the 21c Jagdpanther!

Personal photo, Imperial War Museum, London, UK (March 2005)

Photo of same Jagdpanther from Wikipedia

I have had the opportunity to see an actual Jagdpanther on display at the Imperial War Museum in London, England (my personal photos are the frontal picture and interior shot) and can say that the FOV version faithfully replicates the actual vehicle quite well. The gun mantlet on the FOV tank differs from that of the vehicle in the Imperial War Museum (that vehicle’s mantlet being the same as that on the 21c Jagdpanther), however, I have seen pictures of both types, so the FOV mantlet and gun are accurate. Most Jagdpanther pictures and examples that I have seen only had one vision port for the driver, but the FOV vehicle has two. Again, I’m not sure if that is accurate or not. All hatches open in the correct manner as the real vehicle and the interior of the FOV tank is quite similar to the actual example, though again it is MUCH less detailed and only highlights the major interior features.

Personal photo, Imperial War Museum, London, UK (March 2005)

In conclusion, I consider the Jagdpanther to be one of FOV’s best efforts in their 1:32 WWII armor lineup. They have delivered an accurate, well detailed and functional model tank that is far superior the 21c example. The only drawbacks are the cruddy tow cables and perhaps the lack of weathering on the gun and mantlet. That can be easily fixed, however. Depending on where you buy this tank, it goes from anywhere to $30-$50 USD, though I got mine for $27 off eBay. All aspects taken into consideration, I would highly recommend this vehicle to the 1:32 armor fans :D

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ChairmanMilo
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by ChairmanMilo » Thu May 31, 2007 6:33 pm

Great review, tman - I have to agree with you. The Jagdpanther is probably one of Unimax's best efforts thus far in 1:32 scale. The second release - the one that I own - is of exactly the same type with the same configuration. It's an early production Jagdpanther with the smooth mantlet and one-piece gun barrel. Late production Jagdpanthers had the bolted-on mantlet and two-piece gun barrels (Henschel King Tigers use the same two-piece barrel).

The tow cable was awful! I broke one of mine too. I don't know what they were thinking. All of of the other tow cables they've released have been soft, stretchy plastic. The only other problem I had was that the mantlet was mounted crooked, but that was solved easily enough with some gentle (forced) twisting.

Maybe I'll get around to doing a review of my own of the second release someday ;)

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu May 31, 2007 7:51 pm

:shock: Sweet, I must have one!
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Thu May 31, 2007 8:28 pm

I like it too, but I must say that I think the gun barrel doesn't have enough taper to it. You can see it a bit on your pic of the real deal, the barrel being much wider by the mantlet than at the muzzle. The FOV jagd has virtually no taper, giving it a somewhat undersized look to me, especially at the mantlet.

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:59 am

I have this one and its great , but the problem with mine seems it has far less green cammo then yours. Ill post a pic to show you, by the way great review.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:02 am

Nice review T, and a sweet model IMO. I know I have one or two of these stashed away somewhere in the dark recesses of my storage closet, the question is where. :roll: I wonder if we will ever see a Jagdpanther from 21C in XD?? I think it would make an awesome model in 1:18 scale. :shock:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:43 am

ostketten wrote:Nice review T, and a sweet model IMO. I know I have one or two of these stashed away somewhere in the dark recesses of my storage closet
I need to get me one of them fancy magic closets! 8)
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

panzertruppen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by panzertruppen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:01 pm

I got the Germany paint scheme model. I love this tank. Great review! :D
"The engine of the Panzer is a weapon just as the main gun."

Major-General Heinz Guderian