FOV M5A1 Review (Action)

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

FOV M5A1 Review (Action)

Post by rose4472g » Sun May 27, 2007 1:38 pm

Nice model!

Physically the details are nicely done. The best piece of realia I could find online to compare it to was a Stuart (in service late'42) being restored. FOVs tank agrees with most of the visible details on the real thing. The real stuart lacked the hedgerow device (obviously). One interesting detail was the band that holds down the shovel. Spot on! The original did not have its' tools in place, but otherwise, every tiny visible detail was identical. The hand rail on the engine deck might be a little tall. A neet detail is that little periscope like thing on the hull deck, to the right rear of the turret, faceing left. That's the pull start for the engine! Just like your mower! The one on the FOV appears to be facing the wrong way, the real one faces forward and slightly outboard. There was a picture of a guy starting it, cool. The restored Stuart had less track on the turret, not something wrong just different. I like the weld beads. Good detail on the INTERIOR of the hatches, they realy look like the real thing! Nice bored out 37mm gun. Mantlet looks goofy, but so does the real thing.

The one really bad spot is the MGs. The hull and coax MGs are made of soft rubber!? Thus both are NOT straight and true. The M2 is fair but I coldn't get the mount to sit right in its' bracket on the turret side, suggestions anyone? My tank sits without its' M2 (I do this as a rule anyway as my cats knock off or break AAMGs).

The paint scheme is basic US Army Green with white stencils and star. A bright yellow C-34 on both sides. Zero weathering, which is expected on an Action Series vehical. THis is Ok with me as I think solid color US vehicals look great showroom clean! Note to FOV, please NO more unpainted tracks! If nothing else give 'em a coat of red-brown. The running track is bad enough, but all that shiny gunmettal rubber links on the turret side look lame.

I bought this tank because I need every solid green tank I can get so my display doesn't get to Tuetonic. I think the earlier "Honey" in British livery would have been a much better choice, or maybe a M24. Especially next to their excellent Grant and Matilda, makes me shake my head. However I'm very pleased with this little dude!! FOV at its' best! If you can't stand unweathered tanks get the enthusiast model.

Forgot the figure :shock: One guy, Nice, US tanker helmet and gogles. Posture is relaxed standing in a turret hatch. He's good enough to be displayed in the tank, nuff said.

I like it, excellent US light tank!
David

ChairmanMilo
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by ChairmanMilo » Sun May 27, 2007 2:26 pm

I think the earlier "Honey" in British livery would have been a much better choice
We are of like minds, my friend. My Enthusiast Matilda II and Grant Mark I would look great next to a Honey. It would certainly make them look a bit larger! As it stands, if you sit them next to a Tiger, they look like light tanks, haha. Thankfully I've got a row of Allied armour now to stem the Axis tide, as it were (M-16, M4A3, M7 Priest, M3 Grant and Matilda II).

Great review! I'm thinking about getting that Enthusiast M5 when it comes out next month.

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Sun May 27, 2007 3:44 pm

The hedgerow device was placed on a fair amount of stuarts from what I've read. I've found people tend think it was just on the Sherman. Anyhow glad to hear it's a good model. I look forward to picking one up soon.

-H

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rose4472g » Sun May 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Sorry forgot this too.

M5A1 restoration, cool page

www.fightingiron.com/IY-M5A1.htm

David

p.s. On closer view the little pullstart cover may pivot, so the one on the FOV Stuart may be ok :D

Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Rowsdower » Sun May 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Good review, I can't wait until the enthusiast series is available next month. I saw one of these along with the Lee at Target, what a tease as I really want both.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Sun May 27, 2007 6:32 pm

Good job...thanks.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Mon May 28, 2007 5:03 am

This is a great little piece, and a great value too if you can pick one up a Target store near you. I highly recommend this model to 1/32 armor collectors. Nice review too. 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:09 am

I was at Target buying essential hurricane supplies and Star Wars figures when I happened to glance across the aisle and saw the M5. I don't normally buy action series vehicles but all I can say is what a great tank for $20! It would be easy to weather and customize since It doesn't have the action series trademark god awful paintjob and thick black panel lines. It is painted with a flat Army green. The hedgeclippers are really nice as well. Here are some pics I took to add to Rose's great review. BTW, the paint isn't as glossy as it appears in the pics, it is flat. Also, the figure is really well done and painted and doesn't have that zombie look.
Last edited by Rowsdower on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:16 pm

isn't that the haunted tank?

:)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:33 pm

Great review! I will agree that the FOV Stuart is an awesome tank. The tank differs enough in its sculpting to look pretty decent next to the 21c version, though I think I like the FOV stuart just a little bit better :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:25 pm

aferguson wrote:isn't that the haunted tank?

:)
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:28 pm

What would be the best colors to use for the tracks? Does the prototype have rubber pads or are they metal? I always just drybrush some silver and some rust on tracks but I want it to be more realistic.

ChairmanMilo
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by ChairmanMilo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:58 pm

Wow, the guys that work at Unimax factories over in China must be blind! The Stuart looks great, but the gun mantlet is turned a bit clockwise if you look at it from the front. Even for $20 USD, you shouldn't have to finish the job for 'em!

Can't wait to get one of these for myself. A little one like that wouldn't take up much of my remaining shelf space... ;)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:44 pm

the mantlet probably just needs a little twist or push to pop it into it's proper orientation.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

ChairmanMilo
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by ChairmanMilo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:48 pm

That's usually all it takes, although it took a bit of work to do that for my Panzer IVs.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:12 pm

aferguson wrote:the mantlet probably just needs a little twist or push to pop it into it's proper orientation.
Yeah I noticed the problem after I took the pics. It was easy to fix though. 8)
The tank is tiny, even my Chaffee looks huge next to it. :lol: