New guy's reviews - Part Two - 1/32 T-34

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:15 pm

The T-34 is actually one of my favorite 1:32 FOV tanks 8) I have the S1 Eastern Front 1945 version, in the gray/blue with the number 36 and the Cyrillic writing. The weathering on my tank is supurb and the lines where the turret parts join are small. I like the added details of the handgrips all the opening hatches and the opening engines with detail - something not found on all FOV 1:32 tanks. I wish the tank came with a second figure, but it looks fine the way it is! The FOV T-34s go quite well with the new 32x Russian figures made by 21c :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:58 pm

i think Tamiya (or somebody) makes a set of Russian tank riders in 1/35 scale. They would probably fit well on the back of the FOV T-34 if the K&C guys don't...with room left over for a bushel of grapefruit. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:14 pm

Tamiya (or somebody) makes a set of Russian tank riders in 1/35 scale
The Tamiya set of Desanty (riders) is excellent, I actually painted up a set of these one time for an SU-100 I had built, and they looked great. The only problem with 1/35 scale figures is they look somewhat "stunted" if you use them side by side with 32X figures from 21C or FOV, but for just riders on the back of a 32X T-34 it shouldn't be too noticeable.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

rose4472g
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rose4472g » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:55 pm

S1 I beleive means "Series 1". It can also be used for "Skin" 1. Basically sequencing the repaints. As to the figures, Set the loader on his hatch, foot up, Pps in the crook of his right arm (Hatch open of course). The TC sits behind his open hatch with his left hand (with glass) atop the hatch. They look great! Kinda casual like. By the way the word is that the lettering on the turret side isn't Cyrilic.

David

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:34 pm

maybe a early T34A or B model from FOV

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:25 am

One thing I would add to the review is that the FOV T-34 has a functional suspension, pretty cool for model I think. Also, the lettering on the turret does not appear to be Russian, I believe it to be Armenian... http://www.omniglot.com/writing/armenian.htm
Maybe someone with foreign language skills can decipher what it says.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:02 am

The StuG/Panther/Tiger has working torison bar suspensions.

it's a nice feature.

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:08 pm

Hey Ostketten,

I found this for you....

viewtopic.php?t=3118&highlight=t34+letter

I thought I remembered reading about it here, so I went back and dug it up.

-H

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Schizuki

Post by lightning2000 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:15 pm

Schizuki,
The S1 designation generally means the first version of a vehicle being offered. In this case, the winter camo variant you reviewed would be the S2 version. The upcoming S3 version looks alot like the S2 version, but with a different logo on the turret and possibly different crewmen.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:22 pm

Hey Ostketten,

I found this for you....
Thanks, Hano...unfortunately these are different tanks, I have a minor understanding of Russian and the lettering on the tank in your link says (as noted) "Suvorov" a prominent figure in Russian history. The lettering on Shizuki's winter whitewashed T-34 appears to be Armenian, but it's definitely not Cyrillic (Russian) I made a feeble attempt at deciphering it, but I just don't have the time or patience for it :? but thanks anyway for digging up the thread. BTW, here is a pic to illustrate what I'm talking about... http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 5_15755475

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:10 pm

Umm....unless I'm going insane here...(maybe) the last couple of messages on that thread deal with the tank you pictured. FoV 80218 right? I googled around a bit and nearest I can find the word next to the 01 translates in to "Sassuntsi Davit" or rather "David of Sasun", some Armenian folk hero. Not to strange I guess, after all we had "The Screaming Eagles".

Then there is always the only slightly less glamorous Liberty Ship: "SS Paul Bunyan".

Or where you talking about the word on the third T-35 FoV is making?

-H

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:56 pm

"Sassuntsi Davit" or rather "David of Sasun",
Yep, that's it. In my haste I only looked at the first part of the thread, more precisely the pic of the tank with "Suvorov" on the side of the turret, I never bothered to scroll through the entire thread, my bad :cry:

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:00 pm

No prob...

Always happy to help. Anyone else with questions? I'm one mean Googler! :D

-H

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Yes....buy the new S2T that was unveiled at the Expo. It comes with color matched ones free! Other than that go to your local Harley store....they'd crome your Mother if you paid them enough.

One forum related news......ummm.....I hope FoV makes another Motorcycle...as US one would be nice.

-H

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:15 pm

Just finishing reading a historical overview of WWII and I didn't realize how tough the T-34 was. I have a new found respect for that tank.
Todd

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:50 am

The T-34 was a well-designed tank, but crudely and cheaply made. But they got the job done and earned a rightful place in armored history as one of the best tanks ever created.

Funny enough, Russian crews who were given the lend-lease Sherman tanks (upgunned), say that the Sherman was the better tank. :)

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:09 pm

I managed to get the S1 version (the green one) from ebay , and its a really wonderful tank . I especially like the interior detail , but my Pershing and King Tiger still looks a little better

panzertruppen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by panzertruppen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:44 pm

Looks quite nice! I might get that! :D
"The engine of the Panzer is a weapon just as the main gun."

Major-General Heinz Guderian