US camouflage in Normandy

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
trigger1
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

US camouflage in Normandy

Post by trigger1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 pm

I had no idea that US army troops tried camo uniforms in Normandy. The same uniforms the Marines had in the Pacific. They failed horribly due to friendly fire. More pics here http://www.atthefront.com/us_uni_camo.htm

ImageImage
B/S/T Contacts:holensock,billgiff,Razor17019,KWR190,ostketten,kevrut,ram04 etc...

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:21 am

If you watch the first season of "Combat" comedian Shecky Greene's character Braddock wears the camouflage pants.

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm

They kept getting mistaken for ss units.

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:49 am

Yeah, apparently it was issued in small numbers in Europe.

As previously stated, it was also quickly withdrawn, due to similarities between it and the Waffen SS camo. It all resulted in friendly fire incidents.

I did a quick bit a research on it myself. It's surprising how I had never heard of this till now.

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/nw-europe/ ... mandy.html

Here's a discussion about it, which includes some links.

I will admit, though. Many of those pictures do look rather strange. Most of the U.S. troops aren't wearing unit markings, and a few of them are even carrying German gear. As an example, that solider in the big picture you posted is wearing a German pistol holster on his hip
I'm not implying these pictures are fake -- just odd. The camo patterns tend to stand out, and make the photographs appear odd.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler