Couldn't wait for the 21st KT

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Couldn't wait for the 21st KT

Post by hotrodrock » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Or it should be why should I wait. Here are a few photos of the 1/16 Matorro King Tiger I just got for $79. Have quite a bit of weathering yet to do and some photo etched screens to put on.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Cool! Are you gonna super-detail it?

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 pm

That looks awesome.... I have debated buying some 1:16 armor. Could you post a pic with a 21st XD Soldier next to the tank to see how comparable they are.
Is that you John Wayne, this is me!!

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

kt

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:18 pm

I have two 1/16 KT's, one of each of the schemes and I use 1/18 tankers from the waist up in the open hatch which look fine.
now have in 1/16.....
2 KT
2 STURM
3 STUGS
2 MARK 1V
1 MARK 1V DAK
1 TIGER
2 T34
2 PANZER 3
2 JAGDPANTHERS ON ORDER.

I have compered WWII photos against soldiers next to tanks to check height of 1/18 figures next to 1/16 tanks and although there is a slight undersize, its not enough to worry about.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:15 pm

That is cool and stuff but this is a 1/18 scale forum.

I do have some 1/16 stuff as well. But it is not 1/18 scale.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:18 pm

I realize that discussing 1/16 might cause some members to purchase some 1/16 items. I know some members might not like that because of certain business interests they are involved in. I see different scales of airplanes discussed here that are not 1/18. I am not into RC but am into large scale armor and the simple fact is that there is nothing new out there in 1/18 and doesn't appear to be any on the horizon. If I get the impression from members or hear from the moderator that any discussion of 1/16 armor should be strictly prohibited then I will abide by it. When some new 1/18 is released, and I mean new not just a repaint, I will buy it. In the meantime, I can't see sitting around waiting for one new piece of armor every six months to come out ot 21st or FOV and have to leave this enjoyable forum because all of the new armor that is available is just slightly larger than 1/18.
Last edited by hotrodrock on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:32 pm

"Siege Heil," indeed...

This isn't the first thread started with 1/16 items in it.

viewtopic.php?t=15059

Oh look, there's another. *rolls eyes*

Anyway, the KT looks nice. It's likely that I'll be picked one up eventually.

Oh my goodness, ANOTHER 1/16 thread...man, the Gestapo is slacking today.

viewtopic.php?t=15011

*please note sarcasm*
Last edited by SolidSnakeEyes on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:35 pm

hotrodrock wrote:OK, no more mention of 1/16. Don't know what kind of armor we will talk about in the future, but so be it.
LOL!!! It will be quiet indeed if we stick to new 1:18 Armor talk. :lol:

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Yes it would be quiet indeed..... I posted a poll in the forum threads section about the possibility of expanding some new forum sections.
Is that you John Wayne, this is me!!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:02 pm

whats the big deal about 1/16th ...I even posted a few 1/16th threads here.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:27 pm

VMF115 wrote:whats the big deal about 1/16th ...I even posted a few 1/16th threads here.
Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make.

I have never understood the elitism from 1/18 or 1/16.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:43 pm

i don't see a problem with posting some 1/16 armour discussions as it's a close cousin to 1/18 and things are pretty quiet on the 1/18 front. But there's no need to make snotty comments guys. If you have a differing viewpoint then state it like adults, not like kids at the playground.

PH made a valid comment, if you have a differing point of view state it in a gentlemanly fashion, please...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Panzer
Corporal
Corporal

Tiger

Post by Panzer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Looks good, where do I find one at that price?

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:55 pm

hotrodrock wrote: In the meantime, I can't see sitting around waiting for one new piece of armor every six months to come out ot 21st or FOV and have to leave this enjoyable forum because all of the new armor that is available is just slightly larger than 1/18.
Yeah if I have to wait for 1/18th companies to produce armor, I'd be dead before I even see some of the tanks that I've always wanted to see built in a semi-large scale.

Right now, there's talks of Mato Toys making 16...count that, SIXTEEN Sherman variants with the VVSS suspension.

And not tomention, a company called Hooben is making a T-55A! How freaking cool is that??? :D

Booga
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Booga » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:22 pm

Nice tank Hotrod, does the hatch open?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:31 pm

hotrodrock wrote:I realize that discussing 1/16 might cause some members to purchase some 1/16 items. I know some members might not like that because of certain business interests they are involved in. I see different scales of airplanes discussed here that are not 1/18. I am not into RC but am into large scale armor and the simple fact is that there is nothing new out there in 1/18 and doesn't appear to be any on the horizon. If I get the impression from members or hear from the moderator that any discussion of 1/16 armor should be strictly prohibited then I will abide by it. When some new 1/18 is released, and I mean new not just a repaint, I will buy it. In the meantime, I can't see sitting around waiting for one new piece of armor every six months to come out ot 21st or FOV and have to leave this enjoyable forum because all of the new armor that is available is just slightly larger than 1/18.

Well you are right. I have sold countless things to board members. I have made some money there is no doubt. BUT EVERYTHING I HAVE SOLD HAS BEEN AT A DISCOUNTED RATE SO GUYS CAN AFFORD IT. Some of the things I have sold and LOST MONEY and I wonder why I even did it.
I think I even sold a piece to you Hot Rod.

I made my statement in jest. I have several 1/16 pieces of armor . 3 FOV KT's and 1 Tiger one with a T-34 thrown in. That is close to or over $1600. So I like 1/16 scale as well and spending this kind of money proves it.

IF THERE IS ANYBODY WHO OBJECTS TO ME COMING UP WITH NEW 1/18 SCALE PIECES AND SELLING THEM THROUGH THIS BOARD LET ME KNOW. I WILL STOP NOW AND SELL MY STUFF THROUGH E-BAY AND CHARGE A FULL RETAIL PRICE.

I am a avid collector of 1/18 scale . There is nothing being made so I thought it would be natural to sell some of my creations on this forum. If there are any objections to me doing this let me know and I will stop.

Matthew Higgins
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 pm

* ... The last thing we'd want here , is to pi$$ off the chef ! * :wink:

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:13 pm

i consider pH a manufacturer, not an etailer, which is why it is fine for him to post on the main board. Etailers, are those who sell other people's products, and are asked not to advertize directly on this forum but who would complain if Jason or someone from 21c or BBI asked us what we wanted to see and then made it in a few days? Nobody.

Pickelhaube fits into this category.....so just keep doing what you're doing.

As far as 1/16 armour goes, as i said above it's fine to discuss. If it should ever be the case that 1/18 really heats up again then it may be necessary to re-examine that policy but i doubt it. 1/16 is really quite close in many aspects and i don't see a problem with discussions of it.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

tank

Post by thehun » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 am

Hey i got a more and more customer's of mine wanting to send me different types of these 1/16 tanks to gut out the RC junk, make all the hatches work and customize, In the past i have done several HL tiger's but have yet to tackle one of these bad boys, but i should have 2 any day now to work on, so I'm excited about this.
Hun

I guess i should have read all the post on this subject before i made mine,
Your doing a fine job Pickel, Keep-um coming, 1/18 ain't dead "yet ", as long as your building it's alive

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:34 am

I can't find an FOV 1/16 Peiper King Tiger, so who sells the Matorro King Tiger?

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:56 pm

dragon53 wrote:I can't find an FOV 1/16 Peiper King Tiger, so who sells the Matorro King Tiger?
Mato Toys of Canada has them for sure... https://matomart.com/main.php but their shipping charges to the US are a killer. I would check out ebay, I seem to recall seeing some pretty good deals on the Matorro KT there sometimes.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:58 pm

OSTKETTEN:

Thanks. I assume the Matorro King Tiger doesn't have a number on the turret so maybe it's a generic tank.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:13 pm

IIRC the Matorro KT comes with decals, similar to what comes with all the Heng Long German tanks, so the turret number would be up to the end user based on what numerals are provided in the decal set. You could always just get a set of Archers dry transfers for the Tiger I, they are reasonably priced and of excellent quality, and work well with Zimmerit from what I've heard.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:26 pm

A plus with the 1/16th RC tanks is that they have lots of metal parts. Nothing like 5lbs worth of metal treads to beef up a model. Add metal swing arms and road wheels for the ultimate heavyweight. They also drive around, puffing out exhaust smoke and they shoot BBs. If Heng Long or Matorro would make modern armor, I'm not sure I would buy tanks in 1/18th. Come to think of it, I have not bought 1/18th armor for exactly 1yr when Target did their clearance. Nothing new has been released. I look forward to the Stryker. The only thing keeping me in the game right now is my conversion of a 21st Century Bradley into a full function RC tank, but even that is suspiciously close to a 1/16th size. It is visibly larger than the 1/18th Bravo Team Bradley.
[url=http://www.fighting118th.com]Fighting118th:[/url] Joe Deserves Better!

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:50 am

I think the turning point for me was when I was considering buying a Panzer IV Ausf.F1

I saw a grey 1/18 XD model that was going for $130+ in auction on Ebay, then I saw a Heng Long 1/16th Panzer IV Ausf. F1 Buy it Now for $100.00

And I thought to myself....why the heck would I spend more money on a lesser quality toy, when I have a different option? Why is the 1/18 Panzer IV lesser in quality?

1. No moving suspension.
2. No individual track links.
3. The XD Panzer IV is a hodgepodge of early and late Panzer IV details.

Plus the amount of aftermarket parts available in 1/16 is staggering.