V-1 Transport / Launch Dolly REBOOTED Price Drop !!!!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by kevrut » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:57 pm

I was just talking about gluing a few sticks together to make this thing the V1 is sitting on. At least it looked simple.

I understand if you're going to make a mold of something that there's alot more work involved.

Kevin.

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

RE DOLLY

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Great idea and do not wish to dampen it one bit, but I found a month ago a Playmobil forest logging truck - 4209, which works a treat. It comes with a tractor which I sprayed grey, but I prefer to hook the logging trailer on to a IJ truck and pull the V1 that way. There are chains supplied that go over the top of the rocket to keep it balanced. It looks made to order.

tmanthegreat

Re: RE DOLLY

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:56 pm

ARMY GROUP 1 wrote:Great idea and do not wish to dampen it one bit, but I found a month ago a Playmobil forest logging truck - 4209, which works a treat. It comes with a tractor which I sprayed grey, but I prefer to hook the logging trailer on to a IJ truck and pull the V1 that way. There are chains supplied that go over the top of the rocket to keep it balanced. It looks made to order.
...add to the above that Playmobil is a German company to boot :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pickelhaube

Re: RE DOLLY

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:40 pm

ARMY GROUP 1 wrote:Great idea and do not wish to dampen it one bit, but I found a month ago a Playmobil forest logging truck - 4209, which works a treat. It comes with a tractor which I sprayed grey, but I prefer to hook the logging trailer on to a IJ truck and pull the V1 that way. There are chains supplied that go over the top of the rocket to keep it balanced. It looks made to order.
Every pic I have seen with the V-1 on the dolly troopers were hauling them. I think it took 14 guys to lug those buzzers to the ramps.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Her are some pics for you guys to work with I was going to use them to make my own V-1 dolly...but Decide not to be greedy and to share them with you....
:lol:

Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Yup that is the one I will build if anybody is interested in getting on. Let me know. If there is no interest, I will move on to the many other projects that are in the works. :wink:

By the way great pics and right on time.Thank you. :D Do you think that they drove those Kettles in those small caves and tunnels ?

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:01 am

Where did that 1:18 Kettengrad come from?

Never seen one before now, if indeed it's 1:18.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:43 am

Dauntless wrote:Where did that 1:18 Kettengrad come from?

Never seen one before now, if indeed it's 1:18.
I think it is 1/48 scale.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:52 pm

So far I have 2 guys who really want a V-1 dolly. If there is any more please speak up . Est cost about $30.

This was an idea for me to do a quicky project. If the interest is not really there I will do it at a later date and move onto the Quad flak 38.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:28 am

pickelhaube wrote:So far I have 2 guys who really want a V-1 dolly. If there is any more please speak up . Est cost about $30.

This was an idea for me to do a quicky project. If the interest is not really there I will do it at a later date and move onto the Quad flak 38.
Anbody else ?

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:46 am

Count me in for one, Matthew, whenever you get around to it.

Merry Christmas!

John
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Yes Matthew,
Put me down for 1 dolly.

:D
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:39 pm

Matthew:
Put me down for one also.
Merry Christmas
JOC

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Well I am on my second dolly. The first one I was half way through it and after looking at the pics I had there were issues. First almost all of the dolly was made out of angel iron. Not solid like the Tamiya . So I got a bunch of angled styreen and I am doing it over . Also I will make push handels and a few other details that the Tamaya does not have. But I do have a master wheel done . :wink:

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:06 pm

Please put me down for two,thanks Matthew.

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks for going historical on the cart, Matthew. I knew you'd do it up right. Increase my order to two!

It will be nice to have a true cart to go with the scale V-1 that also ought to be made someday. :)

Cheers!
John

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Pickelhaube, great idea for the V-1, I'll order one.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 am

Count me in for one as well! I have to buy another V1 since mine was chopped up over the weekend to become parts for an ohka. LOL But yeah, I would like to display it on a dolly.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:23 pm

My comp. has another virus so I can't post pics. I am using my sons notebook. The dolly is almost done.Not counting the 1/2 day I wasted using the square stock I have a full day into it with about 2 hrs for the master wheel . The wheel rim is a little thick so I need to turn it down to get closer to scale.

This is a simple/difficult build for a such a simple subject. Most of the build has gone to head scratiching . It is not to easy when you don't have actual drawings to go off of. I am putting in as much detail as I can gleen off of the few pics that I have. There is even a couple of tubes on the top rail that has a hand crank on both sides. I guess this is to crank the 2 ton beast onto the launch ramp. I guess I should have gone simple but I can't help myself. Hopefully I will get done with the build and post some pics tomorrow. The guy is coming over AGAIN to clean the comp.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:39 pm

Well here is the master mock up devoid of wheels. I am putting a dish to the wheels. I made them at first kind of like a rail road wheel. But looking at the pics in a Shiefer book they had dish to them. I had 4 pics in the Shiefer book to look at and this is what I came up with for the dolly. The Tamiya DOES NOT HAVE THIS DETAIL.

Toward the end of 1944 the rocket corps was running short on men. So they pulled hans from the panzer divitions and the Luftwaffe to help push the Vengance weapons . They still were a few hands shy.

I think I got it close to scale. There is no real good pics of just the dolly. I scrutanized the pics as much as possible. So the details are as close as I can get them. I think it tured out nice. Maybe a little too much detail . I thought that this would be a day at most but I AM ALWAYS WRONG WHEN IT COMES TO A TIME ESTIMATE. :evil: So this is the result of 2 3/4 days worth of work. Most of that time spent staring at the pictures. I would guess about 12 hrs actual build time. In the span of 2 3/4 days.

The next step is finish the wheels cast and cast 'em. I also need to make a pull handel and the hitches front and back.

Coments are welcome. Next week I will cast and go into production. After I catch up on some Wirbel and M-113 armor kit sells as well as some consignment work.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:08 pm

cool now ya need to make some REAL german crew members or mechanics to display in your picture of what you working on. like they are working on it.no more battle of the bulge tankers and stuka pilots :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:47 am

awesome and simply amazing that you can grab a few tools and bam whip up something new.

you should be working in some hollywood studio making models.

I want 1. How do I pay for it?

Dave

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:45 am

scbvideoboy wrote:awesome and simply amazing that you can grab a few tools and bam whip up something new.

you should be working in some hollywood studio making models.

I want 1. How do I pay for it?

Dave
Thanks,

I actualy may be doing this. Not so much models but movie sets and the like.With things going in the granite trade like they are I need to do something. The XD brings in some money but it looks like it will not be enough.

I know a guy who works on the sets and stuff and may get on with him. He is the guy who ran all of the consctuction sets on that Brad Pitt movie that is out now.The Curious Case of Benjamin so and so.

Just PM me for the dolly.
Matthew
Last edited by pickelhaube on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:56 am

Awesome progress, and I think the detail level is perfect!

I looked through several other books including Dieter Holsken's and didn't see any great pics there of the Zubringerwagen, either, unfortunately.

There are some wartime drawings on Goran Jansson's page that show some mechanism detail, but to try to reproduce that would really be over the top. Here are links to his page and to one of the drawings, in case they're of interest:

Page: http://www.zenza.se/vw/
Mechanism: http://www.zenza.se/vw/gh%20bilder/gh609a_b.jpg

Again, great job, and I'll take two!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:23 pm

I finally got the master wheel to were I like it. Here it is.

I am almost done with the build and ready to take orders. I still need to make the hitches and the " T " handel but those are no big deal. Anybody ready for it ? This was a little more work than I thought it would be . I think I went a little low on my $30 . Can I squeeze $35 out of you guys ? PM me and let me know.

I will take orders at this time.
Matthew

BTW with all the digging done on the V-1 there were 3 types of dollys made.
1. The first one WAS the wooden dolly. This was used in the initial building of the rocket.
2. The second one was a transport dolly. This was used on the trains and in the support caves. The wings were off and were set next to the fusalage and the rear stbilizers were clamped on top of the rocket tube.
3. The third and that is the one I built . Is the launch dolly.They put the rocket on the launch dolly by a crain or winch, and with the help of 14 support crewmen pushed the 2 ton beast into postion on the ramp. The 2 long bars on the front of the dolly interlocked onto the launch ramp. With the handcranks (on each side of the dolly ) the rocket was hand cranked into postion .

You can see the crank on the side in this pic.